On the area near the mute button where the black part meets the chrome, the black part flexes noticably towards and away from the chrome. Everytime I press the phone to my ear you can hear it creaking somewhat (not coming from the battery door either). Anyone else notice this or is this an isolated issue? My friend's Bold is solid as a brick, no creaks or anything

Also anyone compare the trackball w/ the bold? The tour one seems very cheap and flimsy compared to the bold one, which feels a lot more solid and smooth.
    Last edited by davegrun; 07-18-09 at 03:06 PM.
    07-18-09 02:03 PM
    Mine does this exact thing too. Near the earpiece and at top of phone. Very annoying. Creaking like crazy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 02:06 PM
    Mine does this exact thing too. Near the earpiece and at top of phone. Very annoying. Creaking like crazy.

yea wtf is with this phone I don't get it? they put all this time making the internal aspects perfect, then skimp on just physically putting the thing together in a solid way? It's obviously a fantastic piece of technology, but surrounded by a rattle box
    07-18-09 02:11 PM
    mine does it too but you really have to push on it. as long as im not mashing the phone against my ear when im talking on it im thinking it wont be an issue lol
    07-18-09 02:19 PM
    Mine doesn't creek but I did have to return the first one because the plastic by the led was warped. I've read on other posts that I'm not the only one.

07-18-09 02:53 PM
    People, they mass produced this phone and like someone had already mentioned, there are going to be lemon's. It's unfortunate that QA seems to be on the poor side so don't be afraid to exchange them and I would recommend you do not leave the store until you have inspected and used many of the features so you don't have to return again.
    Last edited by smatica; 07-18-09 at 03:11 PM.
    07-18-09 03:04 PM
    i agree smatica. these phones are not handmade. and unfortunately there will always be flaws here and there. I think it would be very rare to find a blackberry that didnt have a quirk here and there.
    07-18-09 03:09 PM
    when i push the scroll ball i get little wavy things on the screen in the two corners...kind of like dropping a pebble in the water...it bothers me.
    07-18-09 03:12 PM
    meyer: your tour may have the screen ripple. if it bothers you enough verizon can probably hook you up with a new one
    07-18-09 03:15 PM
    On the area near the mute button where the black part meets the chrome, the black part flexes noticably towards and away from the chrome. Everytime I press the phone to my ear you can hear it creaking somewhat (not coming from the battery door either). Anyone else notice this or is this an isolated issue? My friend's Bold is solid as a brick, no creaks or anything

Also anyone compare the trackball w/ the bold? The tour one seems very cheap and flimsy compared to the bold one, which feels a lot more solid and smooth.
    Yes, I HAVE noticed (it). As a matter of fact, I feel that if I don't support the back/outside upper with my index finger (during a call)...the hinge, itsself,
    will break.
    07-18-09 03:17 PM
    i have no creaking, at least that i can tell as of yet
    07-18-09 03:45 PM
    meyer: your tour may have the screen ripple. if it bothers you enough verizon can probably hook you up with a new one
    really? cause it happens all the time..not just once in a while and no matter how hard i press the ball.
    07-18-09 03:52 PM

Hmm...I have the exact same thing on my storm. It creaks right by the convenience key and yes I can see it is going away from the chrome. My screen works so well though that I'm afraid to exchange it. I figure ill wait a bit and then towards the end of the warranty send it in.
    07-18-09 04:19 PM
    I don't have this problem. I got a great Tour out of the box the first time. I'm a happy camper:-)
    07-18-09 04:22 PM
    is there anyway to fix this creaking noise? can you pop off the black plastic piece housing the ear piece/led light? everytime i put the phone to my ear it creaks like a cheap piece of plastic.
    07-19-09 09:23 PM
    I actually exchanged my phone because I was also having issues with the ear speaker. The new one I got feels like a completely different phone, that is how much of a difference there is in the build quality of this one. Battery door is solid, only moves if you really force it to move, and only side to side, and there is no reason this would ever wiggle or move unless you are using force trying to see if you can get it to move, normal handling wouldn't make it do it.

The entire unit just has that brick feel now, feels like it should have in the first place. I'm not sure which country either one was made in, but I can personally say that after exchanging the phone I got one with a massive difference in build quality. Even the scroll wheel feels different and better, very odd how there is so much of a variance in build quality with these phones. I will say that if anyone is unhappy with their phone because it's rattley or doesn't have a solid feel to it, just take your chances and return it if you want to play the odds. Now that I got a good one it's clear to see that this phone is amazing and really doesn't have build quality issues, just quality control issues.
    07-20-09 08:38 AM
    If you are having problem with the phone take it back and exchange it for another one.
    07-20-09 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD