I have been using a Treo 755p for a couple years and am in need of a new phone. I have never used a BB before but I have been looking at the Curve and the Palm Pre and then saw that the Tour is coming out soon on Sprint.

After trying the Pre in the store and then the Curve, I think I might find the BB more useful and certainly has more productivity apps available at the moment. However, I was pretty disappointed in the Curve's browser. Will the Tour's browser be more like the Pre's or would I need to go with a 3rd party browser?
    06-27-09 10:04 AM
    I have been using a Treo 755p for a couple years and am in need of a new phone. I have never used a BB before but I have been looking at the Curve and the Palm Pre and then saw that the Tour is coming out soon on Sprint.

After trying the Pre in the store and then the Curve, I think I might find the BB more useful and certainly has more productivity apps available at the moment. However, I was pretty disappointed in the Curve's browser. Will the Tour's browser be more like the Pre's or would I need to go with a 3rd party browser?
    Don't know if it will be like the pre's or not, but it is supposed to be BB's best native browser to date. Skyfire is another 3rd party browser that will also be coming to BB. This being said, I would definately look at all factors in the phone before making a decision. Basing a purchase on browser alone may not be the best way to go.
    06-27-09 10:07 AM
    Tour broswer not as good as Pre, but best for blackberry. Can be most productive on tour than pre.
    06-27-09 10:10 AM
    Don't know if it will be like the pre's or not, but it is supposed to be BB's best native browser to date. Skyfire is another 3rd party browser that will also be coming to BB. This being said, I would definately look at all factors in the phone before making a decision. Basing a purchase on browser alone may not be the best way to go.
    I agree...I use my phone primarily for business so it has to work reliably for email and PIM. But I also used my Treo for playing videos and music and a fair amount of web browsing. So, I am trying to have the best of both worlds.
    06-27-09 10:17 AM
    Does the Bold have a better browser than the Curve? If so, I'll check that out just to get an idea of what it's like.
    06-27-09 10:19 AM
    Does the Bold have a better browser than the Curve? If so, I'll check that out just to get an idea of what it's like.
    Yes Bold have much better browser than curve. And tour have better browser than bold.
    06-27-09 10:29 AM
    The Browser in the Tour is a little better then the storms, just due to the increase in memory. Both are better then the BOLD in rendering pages..

To be honest the pre is a very nice device, quite powerful in its own right. I think the tour is nice but if your heavy into the web then the pre is the next best thing to the..... wait for it.... wait.... THE IPHONE.. as much as I dislike the house that jobs built I can not say thats not the best mobile internet avail... for now.

There are lots of third party browsers you can use for the tour though like opera, bolt and skyfire coming soon which should work nicely.

I would say go into your local sprint store after the Tour is released and pull up some of your favorite sites...

I test, Crackberry (non wap)
    Engadget
    IGN.com
    and a few other Java heavy sites..

good luck, either way you cant go wrong... unless you go IPHONE (sorry couldnt resist)
    06-27-09 10:31 AM
    I may be wrong, but I think the Bold and curve have the same browser, however, the bold is much faster and more powerful than the curve. The Tour will launch with the fastest and newest bb browser to date, and the internals of the Tour are comparable to the Bold. The Tour also has the highest resolution screen available on a blackberry. A third party browser will only make the Tour better.

Curve and Tour are CDMA. Bold is GSM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 10:35 AM
    You're wrong on so many aspects. The Curve is on all networks, not just CDMA. The Browser is a lot better on the Bold than the Curve. The internals of the Tour are a bit different than the Bold, and the Tour's screen resolution matches that of the 8900 and the Storm.
    06-27-09 10:48 AM
    You're wrong on so many aspects. The Curve is on all networks, not just CDMA. The Browser is a lot better on the Bold than the Curve. The internals of the Tour are a bit different than the Bold, and the Tour's screen resolution matches that of the 8900 and the Storm.

Forgot about the 8320 and 8310.
    I said I might be wrong about the browser on the Bold.
    I said the internals are 'comparable', I should have said 'performance'.
    I didn't say it had a better res. Screen than the storm or 8900.

I just woke up. What's your excuse?

06-27-09 11:08 AM
    Forgot about the 8320 and 8310.
    I said I might be wrong about the browser on the Bold.
    I said the internals are 'comparable', I should have said 'performance'.
    I didn't say it had a better res. Screen than the storm or 8900.

I just woke up. What's your excuse?

I notice what you said. You say tour has best available screen on blackberry. You no say it was better. Your post was correct. And you did say comparable. No worry.
    06-27-09 11:12 AM
    Aside from maybe a bit of streamlining, the Tour's browser should be not very much different then the Storm. It's pretty much the same codebase.

06-27-09 11:40 AM
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll check out the browsers on the Storm and Bold,
    06-27-09 11:43 AM
    Aside from maybe a bit of streamlining, the Tour's browser should be not very much different then the Storm. It's pretty much the same codebase.

The extra App memory probably helps, plus the smaller screen means less graphics processing.
    06-27-09 03:36 PM
    The extra App memory probably helps, plus the smaller screen means less graphics processing.
    That would just help in scrolling and display speeds. Not really in "rendering capabilites". Honestly, I timed the website rendering on the Tour videos posted against my Storm and there's almost no difference. Also, something to think about. The browser video tests we've seen on the site always show the browser hitting a site from History. Guess what... if the cache isn't cleared, it's going to be fast. I bet first time hits on a site take a bit longer, like they do with all current BBs.
    06-27-09 03:49 PM
    Tour browser is technically better than storm and uses new javascript version and others not mentionable. No saying it many time better but better still. Less graphic to process is null and void because it dual core and have no impact on speed. Maybe one day rim make new browser like in lte prototype.
    06-27-09 04:07 PM
    Tour browser is technically better than storm and uses new javascript version and others not mentionable. No saying it many time better but better still. Less graphic to process is null and void because it dual core and have no impact on speed. Maybe one day rim make new browser like in lte prototype.

same processor thats in the storm anyway...

and besides the screen resolution is the same.... physical size doesn't play as much as a role as people think .. physical size would be more of a thing for battery life..

just think of this..

if you take a super high resolution wallpaper image and open it on the storm.... then flip the same image to the right just once and open it on the tour..

the processing power needed is almost identical to render the same image there is no change in the image size..
    Last edited by noaim; 06-27-09 at 06:59 PM.
    06-27-09 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD