Hello, this is my first time posting on this website. I have been surfing through with questions about my tour since the day I bought it, but never joined. I always found the answer, but here's one I do need help with.

I just need some advice on what I should do. Here's the story; I broke the screen on my Tour. I mean it's broken but there's no damage externally. No large scratches, cracked case etc.

How I broke it? I don't know. I had it in my pocket with my iPod, I drove to work, I was there for about two hours before I checked my messages. Pulled it out, and the screen had a large portion which is "cracked." I am a waiter at a restaurant so I could have bumped into anything. But the ipod had no damage what so ever.

Today I went up to verizon expecting them to swap it out. I would get a refurbished phone and be back to business. I do not have a warranty so they expected me to pay a $50 replacement fee. I refused, and after some debate walked out unsatisfied.

I would like to know if anyone has had problems with pressure points on blackberry screens? I don't think it's fair that I should pay even more than I already do, when the phone is not physically broken, per se. I would like to blame the phone design more than mishandling. As I have heard of the screen getting that ruffled, pressure point blur when you press on the trackball or end call buttons.

What should I do? I have the money, but I don't think this is fair for me, the consumer. I pay verizon several thousand dollars a year. And if I paid the fee, is there a way to get a different phone? So I can avoid this problem happening again?

Thanks.
    03-07-10 05:48 PM
    The warranty would NEVER cover physical damage.

In this situation, you would be expected to 1) file an insurance claim with whatever insurance you might have, 2) pay full retail for a new phone, 3) purchase a used phone at a provider/source of your choosing.

Verizon was actually doing you a favor by offering you the $50 out of warranty replacement option (which by the way is being discontinued very soon).

Bottom line is that you damaged it so you (not Verizon) are responsible for the replacement. In the future, never carry the device in your pocket without some sort of case covering the screen.
    03-07-10 06:01 PM
    I would doubt that they will give you a replacement. Because it's not a manufactures warranty problem. If you have insurance you can get it replaced but will have to pay the deductible.
    03-07-10 06:02 PM
    Bottom line is that you damaged it so you (not Verizon) are responsible for the replacement. In the future, never carry the device in your pocket without some sort of case covering the screen.
    It was in a case, but it doesn't cover the screen. In fact, I don't think any of the available cases covers the screen.

Also I understand it is "a favor" yet I still think it is unfair. I have had a lot of problems in the past with verizon and have been thinking of dropping the contract when it is over. I had phones in the past which I payed the $50 fee and went into a downward spiral. The refurbished phones would break every 3-4 months, white screen of death and such.
    03-07-10 06:10 PM
    The case that came in the box with my Tour covers the entire device including the screen. And there are a bunch of other cases and holsters available that cover the screen. I have four different cases/holsters and they all cover the screen. Mine is always covered when I am carrying it.

And if you "understand that it is 'a favor' " then why would you still think that it's unfair?

The problem that you are currently experiencing is completely of your own doing and not the carrier's nor the device manufacturer's fault.
    03-07-10 06:48 PM
    Hi,

Sorry to hear what happen to your blackberry, life is unfair at times.

I don't think I would go with a refurbished one myself, but that's just me.

I would buy a new one and a otterbox to put it in.
    03-07-10 07:05 PM
    How much is your months bill that you pay Verizon several thousand dollars a year?

I would have jumped on the 50.00 tour. I think thats less than my deductible.
    03-07-10 07:36 PM
    Yea, only paying 50$ for a replacement is a steal. especially since it was your wrong doing that caused the screen to crack. If I were you, i'd pay the fee and get over it.
    03-07-10 09:42 PM
    I don't understand why you feel Verizon should replace for free a phone that you broke and had opted not to carry any insurance on. Say you went out and bought a new car and chose not to put insurance on the car. If two months after you bought the car, due to no reason other than your own fault you wrapped the car around a tree. Would you seriously expect the auto manufacturer (or dealer) to replace the car for you because you have been doing business with them for awhile. Your situation with the phone is the same thing. You broke your phone and you are upset with Verizon because they want to charge you a nominal fee to replace the phone for damage which isn't covered under warranty.
    03-08-10 06:16 AM
    It was in a case, but it doesn't cover the screen. In fact, I don't think any of the available cases covers the screen.
    I think the Otterbox Defender is the only case that has a plastic cover over the screen, maybe you are just talking about the holster. I have one just because I don't want the same thing happening to me that happened to you. Hope you can get a replacement for your Tour... only other thing would be getting a new lcd installed, but it would be more than your $50 exchange at Verizon.
    03-08-10 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD