Hello,

I just got my bb tour and only thing i'm really trying to figure out right now is if my AIM and MSN instant messaging is data or text... So far from what I hear, it's using my TEXT messaging. Is this true??

If this is true, what other software is there I can get that will use DATA instead?

My friends tell me my Screen name comes up with a "mobile" icon on their buddylist when I am on aim on my BB..

Thanks guys

PS, I'm guessing the blackberry messaging is data?
    09-10-09 03:57 PM
    AIM/MSN/Gtalk/BBM/etc are all considered data, and will not count towards TXT messages on your bill.
    09-10-09 03:59 PM
    Yes bbm is data. I think if you download the aim messenger that rim makes it uses data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 03:59 PM
    AIM/MSN/Gtalk/BBM/etc are all considered data, and will not count towards TXT messages on your bill.
    are your referring to the AIM/MSN/GTALK/BBM that comes with the phone? couple different verizon reps told me only the BBM is data... the rest is text...

also, on the buddy list it shows up as mobile..leading me to believe its text as well...
    09-10-09 04:09 PM
    The aim app is data but if you use aim forwarding it is texts.

09-10-09 04:11 PM
    are your referring to the AIM/MSN/GTALK/BBM that comes with the phone? couple different verizon reps told me only the BBM is data... the rest is text...

also, on the buddy list it shows up as mobile..leading me to believe its text as well...
    As long as you use the BlackBerry apps, it should be data.
    09-10-09 04:26 PM
    phew....that scared me for a minute. i just started using google talk. was about to think it was being counted as txts (wouldn't be surprised coming from Verizon tho)
    Last edited by webmastir; 09-10-09 at 04:41 PM.
    09-10-09 04:37 PM
    why are all the verizon reps telling me its text... ?
    09-11-09 02:25 PM
    these are the same verizon reps that say software will fix the trackball issues and say well....never mind you get the gist of it........
    09-11-09 02:56 PM
    I'm not sure about AIM or the other IM applications but I can confirm that Gtalk is text and not data. I've got the bill my daughter ran up to prove it! BBM is data.
    09-11-09 03:34 PM
    so confused...
    09-11-09 04:38 PM
    all the IM apps on the phone are DATA. i dont have unlimited texting and have been using aim/gtalk. no overages here
    09-11-09 04:42 PM
    so whose right? Minehan or nycfly89? hahahaha
    09-11-09 07:23 PM
    I've always heard that BBM is data, EVERYTHING else is text.
    09-11-09 07:47 PM
    SMS and MMS are Text.
    Web, Email, and Instant Messaging are Data.

09-11-09 07:58 PM
    This thread is wacked...all IM apps from RIM are data. You can send pics, files, voicenotes, etc through all the IM clients...how the heck do you do that with texts? The other tell-tale sign is how quickly the messages are sent and received. They are nearly instantaneous, a conversation via SMS would never be that fast.

Last edited by acwyau; 09-11-09 at 08:20 PM.
    09-11-09 08:18 PM
    This thread is wacked...all IM apps from RIM are data. You can send pics, files, voicenotes, etc through all the IM clients...how the heck do you do that with texts. The other tell-tale sign is how quickly the messages are sent and received. They are nearly instantaneous, a conversation via SMS would never be that fast.

Don't forget about MMS, which technically counts as a text message as it's an SMS standard. So really, you can send pic files "as a text". But you're right, it's much slower than via IM.

And just to add to the discussion about that, you're right...IM apps from RIM are data. Older dumbphones that ran AIM, for example, did so via SMS but today's smartphones (well, BlackBerries and iPhones anyway) IM through data.
    09-11-09 08:25 PM
    all the IM stuff on a BB is data. Basically if it connects to the internet in anyway its data.

SMS, MMS are texts.
    09-11-09 09:19 PM
    I got a VZ Supervisor to admit/tell me that if I use the I'm Programs that come with the BB its considered text. If I download from another source use would be data. Not sure if what he said was true but I downloaded WLM from APP World and haven't been charged for texts yet. More than like its a case of untrained reps or a ploy to sell you something you don't need.

09-11-09 09:32 PM
    I got a VZ Supervisor to admit/tell me that if I use the I'm Programs that come with the BB its considered text. If I download from another source use would be data. Not sure if what he said was true but I downloaded WLM from APP World and haven't been charged for texts yet. More than like its a case of untrained reps or a ploy to sell you something you don't need.

All IM apps MSN/AIM/GTalk etc use data. Turn off Data under Mobile Network Options and see if you can connect to any IM program.
    09-11-09 11:56 PM
    The easy answer is this...

You can receive texts during a phone call.

AIM/Yahoo/bbm etc... You will not receive any messages till you hang up. Therefore, its data.

09-12-09 12:05 AM
    I work for verizon, and here is were the confusion lies. On a standard verizon device as an lgtouch, samsung alias2 or a similar device all have messaging programs (aol, msn, yahoo, etc) installed on the devices. When you use the device to send an instant message they are considered text. If you read the messaging programs terms and conditions it states that it is a RIM developed program and will use their server, therefore data is used for all programs. When you are talking to people at verizon stores they are confused because all messaging programs used outside of BB use text which is 100 percent correct, on blackberry its different though.
    09-12-09 12:18 AM
    I work for verizon, and here is were the confusion lies. On a standard verizon device as an lgtouch, samsung alias2 or a similar device all have messaging programs (aol, msn, yahoo, etc) installed on the devices. When you use the device to send an instant message they are considered text. If you read the messaging programs terms and conditions it states that it is a RIM developed program and will use their server, therefore data is used for all programs. When you are talking to people at verizon stores they are confused because all messaging programs used outside of BB use text which is 100 percent correct, on blackberry its different though.
    Thank you for explaining it from a reps point of view. I think if everyone read what people write then they would know. What's somewhat funny about your statement is its pretty close to the argument I used when I was on the line with CS.

Happy IMing eveyone!

09-12-09 12:26 AM
    WOW, this thread is great. Thanks guys
    09-14-09 08:22 AM
    As an alternative solution, can't you try to track your text message usage online? I'm not a VZW customer anymore but I remember we used to be able to see the number of texts we sent on our online account, so if you send an IM, log into to your account and see if a text message was sent. You should be able to tell using that method.
    09-14-09 08:41 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD