I'm looking to get my first BlackBerry and after some research find myself torn

The BlackBerry Tour looks awesome, and the lack of wi-fi doesn't bother me as i'm mostly interested in using it on the move where wi-fi isn't available. If wi-fi is available i'm almost certain to be either by my work or home computer anyway, so no issue there.

I've also just read a (pre)review for the BlackBerry Bold 9700 and the reviewers practically creamed themselves over it. "BEST BLACKBERRY EVER!" etc....
    It certainly looks immense, but that leather like battery cover would go through me. I like my phones to be smooth.

Given that so many of you here have and love the Tour, I was wondering whether I could get your thoughts? Will you be looking to throw away the Tour and run to the 9700 for example?

Any help appreciated. Oh, and i've never used a BlackBerry before, but I can get used to anything and they look awesome.

Also, [joke] Anyone who mutters anything about touchscreens or iphones will get my rubbish iPhone 2G thrown in their face! [/joke] As far as i'm concerned iPhone = FAIL and definately Touchscreen = FAIL

Thanks for any and all help
    10-04-09 12:19 PM
    you should get an iphone... i couldnt resist=/

i have to wait another year to upgrade so ill be with the tour til then. perhaps ill get the tour two.

im loving my tour. havent upgraded to 5.0 yet, but even with 4.7 im very happy. i dont know enough about the 9700 yet to tell you either way
    10-04-09 12:46 PM
    Here's the (pre)review of the Blackberry Bold 9700 BlackBerry 9700 Review: Part 1 : Boy Genius Report

The fact they are fawning all over it is giving me pause. The only thing I really hate is that leather textured battery plate. Eww!

Btw, i'm in the UK. The Tour isn't sold here in stores, but there are plenty of online stores selling them. From what i've read it's not officially released in the UK because it's designed for North American networks rather than GSM, but it's GSM compatible aswell as a host of others so there are many people using the Tour in the UK without issue as it's a "world phone".
    10-04-09 01:04 PM
    2nd gen Tour 9650 (forgot the name) coming out soon would be a better comparison to the 9700.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 01:47 PM
    If your choice is between the Tour and the 9700 I would wait for the 9700. The Tour is awesome, but the 9700 will be a superior device from a hardware perspective and potentially an upgraded camera. It will also have a trackpad which is way better than the track ball. I think the decision comes down to how soon you need it and what service provider you will use. If att is terrible in your area you might want to go with the vzw tour and vice versa.
    10-04-09 02:00 PM
    If the leather back is the only thing holding you back from the Bold. I'm sure you can switch batter covers for this bold

I feel the bold will be the better berry when being compared to the tour (yes even the newer one coming out), as for me if its not on Verizon its not for me.
    Last edited by xxraffyxx; 10-04-09 at 04:00 PM.
    10-04-09 02:06 PM
    The 9700 offers a slightly faster processor, trackpad, and WiFi as advantages to the Tour.

I'm not sure your network, but in Canada Bell's new HSPA network and the 9700 could be a nice combo.

That said; the 9700 is similarly sized to the 8900 which is just too tiny. Until I can handle it, it's just a possible negative for me.

I don't see the 9700 as a significant enough step up for me to consider the upgrade. By mid 2010 there should be a device that would offer more.
    10-04-09 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD