SOLVED!
    (from last page)

We talked and talked about it and.....

SHES GETTING ONE!
    Shes so excited! But she's going to work for the $30 data plan, but she is so happy!

2ND EDIT
    She is working for the whole thing. She knows that this is all her resposibility. If it ever brakes, she will never have a phone again when shes under my roof. She is paying for it with babysitting and doing a ton of chores., She helps with cosessions at city events and will use that money to help pay for the berry. Some of you seem to think I am buying this for her, but the only thing I'm paying for is the unlimited texting (we all share it) and we made a deal that I'd pay 25% of the phone's total cost. She is working for this!
    Last edited by Blackberry.Tour; 07-06-09 at 08:41 PM.
    07-05-09 12:19 PM
    Not worth it for a 7th grader, maybe go for a Tour when they're in Grade 10.
    07-05-09 12:24 PM
    meh...i'd pay close attention to your bill lol...apps are easily accessible and so are things on your cell providers network.

things can get a little more technical on a BB than they are on an iPod if problems should arise...for a 7th grader who primarily is just going to use the phone probably to text a whole bunch and talk--any phone with a full QWERTY keyboard can do that. Ultimately though, its your call :P

I know if it was me, I wouldn't get one for my kid...its really a needless expense since you'll certainly need to make changes to your cell phone bill in the form of shelling out more money.
    Last edited by mike42; 07-05-09 at 12:31 PM.
    07-05-09 12:25 PM
    yeah definitely not worth it. i think shes better off with a pink Pearl or something like that.
    07-05-09 12:26 PM
    Well...I would definitely say that Yes it's too much.

As someone who went to middle school without a cell phone at all (because really no one had one) it drives me crazy that kids have cell phones at all. It's just another thing they use to compete with one another....

Obviously, times have changed and even elementary school kids have cell phones these days, but if you're asking for my honest thoughts I think the BlackBerry Tour or ANY BlackBerry is a bit ridiculous for someone so young to have. A plain, simple cell phone that can text and make calls should be sufficient.

I'm not a parent, and you know better than anyone what you're situation is, but I can say that my kids will not be getting a high tech business device in middle school unless they want to get a job and pay for it themselves. But maybe I was just brought up differently.
    07-05-09 12:28 PM
    > My daughter is in the 7th grade and is dying for a Blackberry Tour.

Oh, I hope you are kidding....
    07-05-09 12:29 PM
    I personally think its way to much for a middle school age kid. Giving them unrestricted access to the internet and all the dangers that can arise from that is a little bit much for a child. A middle schooler just doesn't have to capacity to comprehend the consiquenses of their actions when dealing with the internet. Most of my family works in schools and sees what can happen to a teen with access to the net like that and I have heard some aweful stories. I have 3 kids and will not be getting them blackberries. Ultimatly its your desicion though. Only you know your child.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 12:31 PM
    Well I personally think most kids of that age know so much about computers that she would have no problems and would probably be more able to learn and learn quick than us.
    Things to bear in mind tho are the overall costs, the cost for any add ons and the cost for replacement or repair is she lost or dropped it. All these are more expensive than a normal cell phone but if that is not a major issue then I would say let her have one.

Like MissJennell said only you know your child
    07-05-09 12:35 PM
    They grow up so fast...
    07-05-09 12:36 PM
    I suppose it's based on how mature she is. She wants a phone that hasn't even come out yet so is she a crackberry guru? hah

Honestly, it's hard for me to say this b/c I love blackberry's so much but probably unrealistic for her to have one. $50/month is a lot for your daughter unless money isn't an issue. If it's verizon, data's 30, extra line is 10 and unlimited txt is 10.

A "dumb" phone like the Voyager or Envy is probably more suitable. Browsing the internet and email access is probably neverrrr going to be used.
    07-05-09 12:38 PM
    no, not a good idea at all.being a 7th grader most likely all she'll do with it is text, listen to music and watch videos. any dumbphone can do that and for a lot cheaper both for the phone and the plan. does she really need a $30-40 per month internet package? no. its too much phone for a kid.
    07-05-09 12:39 PM
    i didn't have a cell phone until freshman year of college and this was back in 2006...give her a phone that does only 2 things, texts and calls, she doesn't need all the other things unless they will actually be useful, else you're puttin ur money down the drain
    07-05-09 12:42 PM
    My sister is in a similiar situation, but I'm not letting her get any smartphone yet. It will be far too distracting.

Get her something she can text easily on, but nothing she can go online with.
    07-05-09 12:42 PM
    I got my first BlackBerry in 8th grade and have been using one ever since. It all depends on how responsible she is and what she would use the phone for. If she just wants to text, talk, and play games, try showing her other phones that could do that for less money. But if you think she would use data, email, and the several other functions the BlackBerry platform offers, I say get her one. But in the end, the decision is up to you.
    Last edited by ecooper11; 07-05-09 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    07-05-09 12:44 PM
    I personally think its way to much for a middle school age kid. Giving them unrestricted access to the internet and all the dangers that can arise from that is a little bit much for a child. A middle schooler just doesn't have to capacity to comprehend the consiquenses of their actions when dealing with the internet. Most of my family works in schools and sees what can happen to a teen with access to the net like that and I have heard some aweful stories. I have 3 kids and will not be getting them blackberries. Ultimatly its your desicion though. Only you know your child.

That too...forgot about the possible social ramifications of having a BB :P

Cell phones can be used for fun and games, but keep in mind they're communication tools first, toys second. I think letting her have a more advanced cell phone for texting would certainly cure the itch to have a BB Tour.

Who's your cell provider? If Verizon, the env touch is very nice You can have a little more control over that but still let her have the freedom of having a high tech communication tool :P You can get a cheaper data plan and monitor how she uses the phone or if it becomes too much of a distraction. In two years when that contract is up she'd probably be a little more ready for the BB.

Just my two cents though...not parenting for you :P
    Last edited by mike42; 07-05-09 at 12:46 PM.
    I don't see why a 7th grader needs such an advanced device.
    You would be paying an additional 29.99 for her to have that on Verizons net work.

If she were my kid and she really wanted it I guess I'd negotiate. She'd have to get
    babysitting jobs or something to pay for that, and she'd have to earn the money for
    the difference of a basic handet, so $100 difference (after rebate). And the first
    month she didn't pay her 29.99 I'd have an esn change done and have her old basic
    handset put back on her account.
    I earned enough babysitting at her age I could have afforded that.
    Make it a responsibility, learning experience, it is an expensive device if it breaks or
    she loses it.
    I'd also require she have insurance, I'd probably pay the monthly on that
    but she'd have to pay the deductible if anything happened to it.

Editing to note, I always wanted more expensive stuff then my dad wanted to pay for
    and we used to do this, we'd negotiate, I'd have to pay the difference and so on.
    By high school I was pretty much buying most of my own stuff and I always took
    better care of it all because I realized the cost/value of it all.
    Last edited by sreneel77; 07-05-09 at 12:53 PM.
    Im in college and I need a phone thats really good for internet and email and that sort of thing and i think the tour is too much.....................even tho im still getting one.
    07-05-09 12:47 PM
    Yeah thats a hard subject but it all depends on the maturity of the child because reality is children can access the internet practically anywhere there are computers so giving a blackberry wouldn't be any different but if my daughter wanted a blackberry at that age I would probably hold off intil highschool. Kids today are so advanced in technology though.
    07-05-09 12:49 PM
    Considering how kids will pound each other to steal a pair of sneakers...
    07-05-09 12:50 PM
    When I was in high school I was dying for a Treo 700w. I saved up my money and my freshman year of college I purchased it by myself.

A 12/13 year old kid with a Tour is not just unnecessary, it's ridiculous. When I got my Treo I utilized as much of the functionality as possible. It sounds like your kid just wants this device, she doesn't have any need for it. You bought her an iPod Touch which is very nice (I have one myself), but I'd say put your foot down on this one. I think by getting her the Tour (and shelling out the additional $30/month for the data plan) you are simply spoiling her. That's just my take, but I don't think anyone can disagree. Whether or not you care about spoiling your child is another story and something you'll need to decide on.

Just one more note to mention: is she focusing as much energy on school as she has been on a device that the general public doesn't really know about yet? If she's an A student than I would consider it, but if she want this device to be fashionable and isn't doing well/as well as you'd like in school, I'd say def. no.
    07-05-09 12:52 PM
    Yeah your bill will be so much higher than it needs to be. I would say she doesn't need a blackberry, most young kids only use cell phones to text and call each other any way.
    07-05-09 12:53 PM
    I am all for her getting a Tour, or any BB for that matter..

Assuming you are in control.
    The ability to use the BlackBerry Calendar to put home work assignments and other dates into it then sync it at home would be great, letting you send "invitations" to doctors appointments, would mean she can't say she forgot,
    BBM would be a way to check in after school, and when out with friends,

If it were me, I would also require she surrender her BB each day to me for me to check, It can be a useful tool, and it also gives you something to take away as a punishment, what will mean quite a lot.

but it would also depend on how responsible your child is, do they understand the concept of money? the concept of time? both are very important concepts to understand when owning a cellphone

I would also use the opportunity at the end of each month to go over the Bill with her, show her what things cost what, and how much it it. if you are an involved parent this can be a great tool to teach your child, if you are hands off, this could get out of hand.
    07-05-09 12:53 PM
    I'm an 8th Grade teacher and I have no idea why a middle schooler would need a blackberry device. It blows me away when I see some of my students with blackberry's and iphones. Do they really need a cell phone like that? Of course not. The problem is that many parents don't know how to say no to their children. I can understand having a simple cell phone for emergency purposes, but a blackberry at that age is way over the top. That's just my 2 cents.
    07-05-09 12:55 PM
    Hopefully you know....or know by now...that this is going to run you more than your average
    phone...

Go through her email and determine how important they are...I personally don't think you're
    looking at this with logic but rather a "I want to appease her" attitude. I'm more concerned
    about your wallet than her safety though...I think a BB has about the same danger as your
    average cell.....its just not in the LEAST necessary...

07-05-09 01:01 PM
    Yeah your bill will be so much higher than it needs to be. I would say she doesn't need a blackberry, most young kids only use cell phones to text and call each other any way.

Most young kids only make calls and txt because that is all they CAN do, My 7 year old niece knows as much about computers as my father does, because since she was 2 I've given her full reign on a computer when I am around, and she has full reign when my father is around on his. she got to see multiple monitors and how to move things around, learned about copy and paste, learned how to download free games from what ever TV channel has the websites.

The PVR she knows how to record 1 show while she is watching another, then how to retrieve the show she just recorded, I don't think she is extraordinary, it is just she has been given every opportunity to learn how to use the tools in the home, never was she told she is too young.

That is my take on this Blackberry situation, it is a great tool, and can be used for more then just txt and phone calling, but you have to spend the time to teach what more it can do, show her how to use it as a dictionary, show her how to look stuff up on google on it, show her how the calendar and address book work, and encourage her to use those tools, it might be trivial now, putting in all the kids in her class in her address book with their birthdays showing up on her calendar, but it will make it a practice, and later in life she will do it automatically, which will help in business.

if financially you can afford a BB Tour, or heck start her off with a BB Curve, and if she uses it to its limitations you can then get her a tour later.

ultimately this is a potential learning tool,
    07-05-09 01:02 PM
225 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD