What is a 10th grader going to do with a BlackBerry? I mean, maybe something simple like a curve, sure. But I really don't see how you would benefit from having one. Maybe something lame, like a Sidekick would be your best bet.
    07-08-09 11:28 PM
    **** most adults can't handle a berry but the younger generation understands technology...go for it
    This guy knows what he's talking about. Most of the moms in my town carry a blackberry only so that they can see their sale and coupon emails. Almost none of them know how to do anything more than that and texting. The kids on the other hand know the ins and outs of the phone and utilize most of the applications. So really, the question should be "Is a blackberry too much for a 50+?" and most of the time, the answer is yes.
    07-08-09 11:48 PM
    I've got my first Blackberry my freshman year in college and I found it extremely helpful then, but honestly, I could never find a use for a Blackberry if I got it in high school. I mean whatever floats your boat, if you can pay for it then by all means get one.

The benefit was:
    E-mails from professor, friends, etc.
    Calender (basically helped me better organize myself such as timing study groups, etc.)
    Attachments such as PDF, DOC, etc.
    Minor stock investment
    Running my small business

To be honest, if you're getting one for texting save yourself some money and get a regular phone with a keyboard and a text plan.
    07-09-09 12:06 AM
    I got my first BB my sophomore year in college. Upgraded from a Samsung A900 Blade (awesome phone). I got my 8830 cuz I thought it was awesome looking, and the Curve was way too small for me. The ability to edit/view powerpoint slides saved my *** on numerous exams. Bored at work...I would just pull up the PP notes that I downloaded from the professor's site and get my study on. Then I would type up a summary of those notes, and email them to my friends, and they would do the same. Now I had the professor's PP notes, as well as 20 other students' perspective. Loved it. My 8830 was my fav study tool.
    Bring on the Tour mwahahahahahahaha
    *evil, take over the world tone*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kenny817; 07-09-09 at 01:17 AM.
    07-09-09 01:15 AM
    I would insist that my kids get blackberries... but I'd also be sure that they knew about my BES server. Privacy is good, secrets are not.
    07-09-09 01:23 AM
    i bought my berry in 10th grade.
    bought it myself and have payed for my own plan ever since.
    if you can do that then you may have one and nobody can tell you any differently.
    and also learn the value of a dollar at the same time.
    07-09-09 01:49 AM
    I think it's fine if a 10th grader wants a blackberry but i think you should pay for it yourself that way you're less likely to be careless with it since you paid for it with your own money. As long as you take care of it then I don't see a problem with it.
    07-09-09 09:08 AM
    i have a ninth grader and i have trouble with her taking care of the env 2 she has now. between losing it or breaking it i am filled to the brim with her teenage carelessness. take my advice. do not buy her a phone some adults my consider too much for themselves.
    07-09-09 11:26 AM
83 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD