Any ideas before I do a hard reset?

As of last night, my Blackberry isn't fully unlocking after I type my password. I type the correct password and hit enter, then password entry section turns dark (or it will stay on the "Enter Password screen" and appear to freeze). (If I type the wrong password it simply prompts me again, so i know I am typing the correct password). This is after multiple battery pulls.

Sometimes after typing the correct password, I can hold down the blackberry button and it will bring up the box that lets me switch to BBM, the browser, the Home Screen, etc and I can "switch" to that program, but there is a sort of frozen shadow of the Enter Password box over what ever app I switch to and I can't use the trackball or keyboard in those apps.

This "frozen box' is preventing me from using any application on my BB!

I CAN receive calls. Barely. I can only make calls if I pull battery and DON'T unlock the phone and go to the Place Call option.

I upgraded to OS 5 over a week ago and things were fine until last night. I can hear my BB when it receives messages (the tones work) or txt etc but can't read anything due to the lock up!!

The only suspect is Google Talk which I installed two days ago and seemed to be hogging resources and draining the battery, however the phone worked fine for about a day with it on. Perhaps Google Talk is launching at startup and hanging things up? I doubt it but this is full disclosure.

I have also, pulled battery and removed the micro-sd card to see if that had any affect -- alas to no avail.

One analogy I can think of is it as if the Windows Explorer is hung but everything else is working.

THOUGHTS?
    04-07-10 08:50 AM
    I had the same thing happen to me last week, except I am still on 4.7. I solved the problem (so far), by removing the password and deleteing the CBS NCAA Tourney App that I had installed. After two days, I reset the password and all has been working.
    04-07-10 09:56 AM
    Good idea. I will connect desktop manager and try to remove the password. I can't do this on the device itself due to the current problem. I will also remove apps like Google Talk and Berry Weather that load on boot up to see it that helps before I do a total wipe. Will keep you posted.
    04-07-10 09:59 AM
    You're not going to be able to remove the password using Desktop Manager. You have to do that on the device.
    04-07-10 10:34 AM
    Thanks JeffH. Looks like I will need to try to discover and remove the offending application. I'm suspecting BerryWeather v2.2.01 which I had not yet registered. Will keep you posted.
    04-07-10 11:35 AM
    If BerryWeather is the most recent app you installed, I'd suspect it first. I'm using BerryWeather 2.2.01 (registered) with no problem, so if it is the culprit, deleting and reinstalling it may fix the problem.
    04-07-10 02:02 PM

I was able to connect via Desktop Manager and removed an application.
    It turned out the offending application was:
    Aerize Optimizer

From their website:
    Get peak performance out of your BlackBerry device with this advanced memory and performance optimizer. Eliminate memory leaks, degrading performance, and BlackBerry device errors.

This program helped reduce hourglasses previously (with OS 4.7) but it is clearly not ready or fully tested for OS 5.0 (although it worked for about a week without incident).

Google Talk you are off the hook for now!
    04-07-10 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD