After a recent update of the software on my Tour, I find the battery draining INCREDIBLY fast when the Radio is turned off.

At work, I don't get a signal, so I have been turning off the radio...and in that state, after 24 hours, the battery is usually still at 100%.

Now....my battery is draining down to 40% in 5 hours....

any thoughts anyone?

v4.7.1.61
    02-08-10 11:42 AM
    when you open your app switcher, how many apps do you have open?
    02-08-10 11:45 AM
    Have you done any batt pulls?
    02-08-10 11:53 AM
    when you open your app switcher, how many apps do you have open?
    6...my usual number
    02-08-10 12:27 PM
    Have you done any batt pulls?
    just did it....so we'll see in a few hours.
    02-08-10 12:28 PM
    As to battery pulls is that all right for a BB?
    02-08-10 12:29 PM
    As to battery pulls is that all right for a BB?
    I guess to answer that it is like saying is breathing air ok for us humans?

Yes in fact it makes your BB run faster. They have a program called Quickpull that does this for you instead of pulling the battery out every time.
    02-08-10 12:38 PM
    battery pulls are often times the chicken soup of many small but frustrating BB issues that pop up at random
    02-08-10 12:38 PM
    I guess to answer that it is like saying is breathing air ok for us humans?

Yes in fact it makes your BB run faster. They have a program called Quickpull that does this for you instead of pulling the battery out every time.
    Just to be clear, quickpull is NOT a battery pull. It reboots the phone and this is not the same thing. You can reboot your phone anytime by pressing alt+right shift+delete. IMO, better than installing a new app just for that
    02-08-10 12:39 PM
    Just to be clear, quickpull is NOT a battery pull. It reboots the phone and this is not the same thing. You can reboot your phone anytime by pressing alt+right shift+delete. IMO, better than installing a new app just for that

I wrote a long and involving thread on the benefits of physically pulling the battery v. a soft reset over on BBHybrids Forums - Home so I won't re-write it here, however I will say this much, NOTHING, no software, no soft reset, NOTHING provides the absolute benefits that physically pulling the battery and letting the phone totally discharge for at least a minute can provide. Performing a soft reset (ALT+SHFT+DEL) or having Quickpull/Meterberry reset your phone are good for some things, but sometimes you NEED to physically pull the battery to get the maximum benefits.
    02-08-10 01:29 PM
    just did it....so we'll see in a few hours.
    didn't work....still going down....

this is aggravating
    02-08-10 02:26 PM
    May be reinstall your OS, or upgrading to 5.0.0.419 will fix the problem...
    02-08-10 02:33 PM
    May be reinstall your OS, or upgrading to 5.0.0.419 will fix the problem...
    How do you do that?
    02-08-10 02:47 PM
    Thank you, as to "quickpull".
    02-08-10 03:51 PM
    5.0.419 has been amazing for battery life, for me at least. There's numerous threads on how to upgrade your BB software.

Also, if you're feeling adventurous you can dl and install a hybrid from bbhybrids.net. A hybrid is basically the best pieces from other firmwares stuck into one
    02-08-10 04:16 PM
    what apps do you have running? V2.0 of berryweather would always suck down an extra 2-3% per hour for me.
    02-08-10 04:43 PM
    what apps do you have running? V2.0 of berryweather would always suck down an extra 2-3% per hour for me.
    Google voice
    toktumi line 2
    gmail

The thing is ...when the radio is on...no problems....it's when I turn the radio OFF....is when the battery drain is happening....

From full charge to completely dead in hours....doing essentially nothing except sitting in my case.
    02-08-10 05:20 PM
    The thing is ...when the radio is on...no problems....it's when I turn the radio OFF....is when the battery drain is happening....
    That tells me that one of your apps doesn't like the fact that it can't get the radio to work. Perhaps it keeps polling the radio or some such. Could be an app glitch.
    02-08-10 05:36 PM
    That tells me that one of your apps doesn't like the fact that it can't get the radio to work. Perhaps it keeps polling the radio or some such. Could be an app glitch.
    I just came to the same conclusion right when I read your post.

I upgraded a bunch of the google mobile apps last week...and I installed toktumi's Line 2 all around the same time....

I guess I'll have to uninstall each one and figure out which one is the culprit.
    02-08-10 05:47 PM
    I had a similar problem with my Tour, when I would put the tour into the holster and it would go into the sleep mode, it would drain the battery alot. I came to find out it was a radio streaming app I was using to listen to the radio, and I would not close the app before I put the phone into the holster, I was able to figure it out thou.
    02-08-10 10:58 PM
    5.0.419 has been amazing for battery life, for me at least. There's numerous threads on how to upgrade your BB software.

Also, if you're feeling adventurous you can dl and install a hybrid from bbhybrids.net. A hybrid is basically the best pieces from other firmwares stuck into one
    AMEN to that my batt life went from 4days stand-by to 5days stand by I don't know but it seems pretty good to me but if I could only get beweather to work
    02-08-10 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD