How exactly can you force a 9630 to stop searching for a signal and draining the battery if a digital signal is not readily available. I'm on the Verizon network.

My problem at sporting events has been a huge battery drain while I'm assuming my phone is searching for a signal when the towers are overloaded. My phone will get so hot it's working so hard trying to connect and the battery will completely drain in a matter of hours.

I've also had this happen when down at the Lake of the Ozarks and I guess it only gets an analog signal and is constantly searching for a 3G connection.

I'd like to stop that from happening during those times..
    10-02-10 08:34 AM
    Turn off the radio using Manage connections. That's the only solution I know. I used to have the same problem at the local High School football stadium, which was in a dead zone for my carrier.
    10-02-10 08:37 AM
    What about turning Data Services off under Mobile Network?
    10-02-10 09:15 AM
    If you do that, I think your phone will still try to hit the tower for calls. Try it and see if it helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 09:24 AM
    Well, yesterday at the Nationwide NASCAR race wasn't too bad. The battery drain while there for about 7 hours was about normal.

Maybe Verizon just has more towers available there than they do at Arrowhead Stadium where the Chiefs play.

We'll see how today is at the Cup race where there'll be way more people.
    10-03-10 07:33 AM
    Like DW says, they are creating a vortex effect and sucking up all the signal! Kyle Busch rules!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 10:01 AM
    I have the same problem at NFL games. The only way to prevent battery drain is to shut off the wireless radio. It sucks, but nothing you can really do about it.
    10-03-10 08:07 PM
    No problem today either... NASCAR fans just much not text or surf as much on their phones as NFL fans do.

**David Reutimann's new biggest fan**

"Shut off the wireless radio" Wouldn't it just be easier to turn the whole phone off? What can the phone still do with the wireless radio turned off and exactly how do I turn the wireless radio off? I know I've seen it before, but since an OS upgrade or two, I can't seem to find the manage connections link now,
    10-03-10 08:16 PM
    I have been to 4 (2 Atl, 1 Char and Bristol)Sprint Cup races this year and have problems inside the track every time. Its fine when we are outside looking at the merch haulers, but once inside I could not get data in or out until after the race and I was outside.
    10-04-10 02:05 AM
    i've been to the moster mile twice (dover), new hampshire, and pocono's and i've had no issue with signal or service. and i do agree that just turn your phone off and enjoy the event!!

#24 JEFF GORDON!!!!
    10-04-10 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD