Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Battery Cover Door: FIX!!! with Photos...

So, like many of you I have a tour with a loose battery cover door. I spent the last couple of days looking for a fix but, most of them left a slight shimmy in the door (unacceptable) or created an even larger gap between the phone body and door which was also unacceptable.

My solution was to purchase a product called NEXCARE by 3M. I bought it in my local CVS Pharmacy for $5.75 for a roll that could probably fix 10,000 Tours but, it is what it is and a fairly inexpensive fix. Split it with your buddy and its even more cost effective It is essentially a foam/rubber tape that has adhesive on one side. It is almost exactly like the tape that is found on the back of the Battery Cover Door except in tan color not black:

I tried using many different sizes and shapes and putting it on just about every part of the phone body and door. No matter where I put it, it stopped the shimmy and looseness dead. The problem I had was that depending on the location, it caused the case to elevate too far from the phone and created a larger gap. I ended up using a small sliver less than 1 inch long and 1/4 inch wide. See photo for scale on top of a quarter:

I wanted to find a place on the phone where the gap would remain the same (with the tape on or off) but, at the same time stop the door from moving and feeling loose. I found the perfect spot.

If you notice on the phone (with cover off) you will see that the only area that is recessed is the area below the battery, above the SD memory card and to the right of the SIM card. This is where the tape had to fit in order to stop the looseness without increasing the gap.

NOTE: I actually pulled the tape taught by stretching it. This made the tape fit in the recessed area and decreased the thickness of the tape. Without stretching the tape, it was still too high causing the door to bow (but only a little). I wanted perfection so I stretched the tape and carefully cut the excess off with an exacto knife. PERFECT!!

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    PIN
    e tar

good looking job
    Critical Care Paramedic/Field Supervisor
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,154 Global Posts

Wow man good work , nice guide , im about to go and try this right now , this was the only thing bothering me ! good job !
    Lost count of how many phones I have had.
    CrackBerry Genius

I just returned my tour for a new one, faulty battery cover.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    pm me for it

pretty cool
    My BlackBerry History: 6750 => 7100 => 7250 => Curve => Storm => Tour => Incredible
    CrackBerry Abuser

It's sad that this thread had to be made in the first place, but good job!
    I hope this solves a lot of people's problems and maybe the threads on this issue will cut down.
    CrackBerry User

Good old fashion duct tape works best for me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    PIN
    Got 3 !!

Nice work, great description of the fix.

Thanks !!
    9650 & 9700 & 9630

graduate of
    8330 & 8800 & 8130 & 8830 & 7100g & 7210

Treo 700wx is like the nightmare that I didn't really graduate

My Android EVO is simply a toy -- but a really slick one
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

I just stopped by to take a look at the tour at the vzw store mainly to check out the back cover. It did move a tiny bit (maybe a mm) up and down, nothing side to side. This was also with that giant mount stuck to the back. I honestly never would have noticed it if I hadn't read these threads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

Good job and great idea, I'll keep that in mind when I get mine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

when you guys say your battery door is loose, is it really loose, or just a very slight back and forth motion? I wouldn't consider mine loose at all, but it does go back and forth just a tad (seriously less than 1/2mm.)
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ##b###dc

I used two of the little yellow sticky notes I had on my desk at work to keep it from moving till I can get to the VZW store today.
    Yellow sticky notes solve everything!!!! HAHAHA
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I tried to replicate the material that RIM used to keep the door from shifting. I did not try Duct tape, masking tape, yellow post it notes or electrical tape. Those may all work as well or better, try it for yourselves and post back.

For me, this worked perfectly, it also is rubber based which stops vibration and actually got the vibrate feature of the tour to work more effectively by vibrating the whole phone and not the battery cover. All of the vibration now transfers to the phone body and isn't dissipated into the cover.

PS You can sharpie marker the tape black if you are so inclined.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts

I used the yellow stickies too.

My battery cover barely moved. I just ripped a piece of the sticky note off, folded it in half once, and stuck it on top of the battery. After it was folded the sticky note was about the same size as the battery. Creates zero bulge.
    CrackBerry Abuser

You should not have to go through all of that. I have no issues with my door. This phone is great

CrackBerry User

awesome! i'm going to do mine asap!
    CrackBerry User

have you actually reduced the gap? It looks to still be there to me.

Can you provide a before pic?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of success

nice i will try this rather than my current fix.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I will try this on mime... Mine only shifts about 1 mm up and down. Side to side mine works great!

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McKrakken View Post
    have you actually reduced the gap? It looks to still be there to me.

Can you provide a before pic?
    I was going to ask the same thing. My phone has zero gap. That looks like a lot more than mine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts

This fix looks like it is to reduce the door movement. The gap is probably the same. I'm thinking of using some scotch double sided tape around the edges to reduce my slight gap

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

My gap has not increased or deceased using this "trick" it is the same. YES, there is still a gap (always was) but it isnt any worse than before.

The only way to reduce the gap would be to remove the black padded foam on the rear of the door and then try and figure out a new way to keep the door from shifting. Too much trouble for me.

OR

You could use some sort of double sided tape to "stick" the battery door to some part of the phone but, that will eventually need to be replaced as it loses its adhesive AND would also make removing the battery door more difficult for battery pulls, SIM card swaps etc...

I can live with the gap, I am hoping as time goes on the weight of the phone will compress the foam and minimize what gap there is remaining.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ##b###dc

Okay this might sounds stupid to some but the easiest fix with no gaps being left in the cover is to take scotch tape cut it into small ( i mean small small) pieces and wrap them around the tabs at the top of the cover. This helps to hold the cover in place and doesn't bulge the cover out on bit. So if you have the patience to do this and don't want gaps in your cover till you can either replace the phone or there is a better way, then try this
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

But the scotch tape will eventually wear off and could get lodged in the body of the phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ##b###dc

Im just trying to temporarily fix this issue Im going to VZW store when I get a chance to get a more permanent fix like a new cover or a whole new phone. I paid for the phone and I want it to be perfect with out rigging it up somehow.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast