Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    30BC63A0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Unhappy Bad Trackball on the Tour 9630

Anyone else have this problem? The trackball on my tour sucks. I went back to Sprint they gave me a all new tour and it worked great for a while but now it is still not as good as my curve was. What is the problem??? Is it getting dirty over a week? If so how do i clean it? Can someone please help me?
    Jetster
    CrackBerry Abuser

there has to be a bazillion threads on this issue already, please use the search.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    30BC63A0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

none of the posts i found told me the best way to clean the ball. Its not a OS problem it is just not griping at all.
    Jetster
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    10,674 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dischjosh View Post
    Anyone else have this problem? The trackball on my tour sucks. I went back to Sprint they gave me a all new tour and it worked great for a while but now it is still not as good as my curve was. What is the problem??? Is it getting dirty over a week? If so how do i clean it? Can someone please help me?
    It has happened here that some have had to try a third to get a good one. I would take it back in if it were me.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    30BC63A0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

If there are so many posts about this then why is it so hard for someone to tell me how to fix it. Thats all I want to know. If all you guys are so ******* smart then why don't you guys just tell me what I need to do.
    Jetster
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you are hot and/or a girl.

I'll take it one link further BBGeeks

It's different for the tour because you have to take the whole phone apart.
    00110011 00110000 01000010 00110110 00110011 00111000 00110010 01000100
    http://xkcd.com/627/
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    10,674 Global Posts

dischjosh. Please post back and let us know how cleaning the trackball works for you, would ya?

Quote Originally Posted by jakerandell View Post
    I'll take it one link further BBGeeks

It's different for the tour because you have to take the whole phone apart.
    Unfortunately the link seems to be OK for older devices but is not correct for the Tour or Bold. I believe the Tour requires a major dismantling job to reach the trackball, and that would void warranty.

The best advice to the OP is to give the trackball a few minutes of energetic movement and try to dislodge any lint which may be blocking it. If that doesn't restore function, contact Sprint again for another replacement.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    PIN
    A COLADA!!!

I cleaned mine by taking a Q tip and dipping it in rubbing alcohol and then dabbing it on the trackball. This worked great!
    CrackBerry User

I tried alcohol tip and it did help a little bit but ultimately, I had to exchange my Tour as the trackball was just getting worse. BIG TIP. If you exchange your Tour before you leave the store with your new Tour, experiment with the trackball settings down to 20, it is still responds fairly quick you have a good phone. WARNING, when I turned down my trackball to 20 on my original Tour it effectively made the trackball useless basically making the phone unusable.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for the tip on testing it. I'm taking mine back today to get a new one (VZW) and will do that test!
    CrackBerry User

QUESTION: I have a 14 day old 9630 (Sprint) and wonder if I should take it back for exchange.

My trackball froze up last night, going R/L/down, but not up. After working it with my fingers 5-10 minutes this am it suddenly "unfroze". Dropped sensitivity to 20 and still works ok.

Otherwise I'm happy with the Tour and don't want to go back to touchscreens anyhow. Any suggestions, given it is still in the easy return phase?
    CrackBerry User

pbenestar, I'm not returning mine for your reason, but it's within my 30 days, so def going to return it. I think you could eventually run into problems later. Mine was ok up til about day 9-10 (it's been 16 today) and the past week it's not good. It feels like it's "pressed in" halfway most of the time, where my husband's sticks out more. I don't like the feel, and figure I better return it. Good luck!
    CrackBerry User

Thank Marie,

pb
    CrackBerry User

Holy crap guys now I'm getting paranoid. Have had my first blackberry and first tour for about two months with zero problems.. Wondering if I will in the future..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xclo; 10-26-2009 at 01:50 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    3100B153 <---- ADD

Yea just do a lil search next time ; ) but yep I've been thew 6 tours already

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Don't trip. I have two Tours from Sprint. The first one I bought the first week it came out back in the Summer, the second (the one that gave me the problem) I've just had two weeks. I gave the first one to my wife as she was tried of her Curve but the original one is still basically fine so rule of thumb is if it ain't broke don't fix it. Most trackballs gradually show up over time anyway and that's probably one of the reasons RIM is phasing trackballs out on future Blackberries. I had already reinstalled a new one in her old Curve before she upgraded. Pbenetar, just keep your eye (and finger) on it for a few days. If it freezes up again, you might want to exchange before your 30 days is up like I did. Believe me, I hated to do it. I had to drive 25 miles, miss the 4:15 games Sunday afternoon, re-download, reinstall, and re-tweak a bunch of apps. SUCKS! But, so far the track ball is working perfectly and life is soooooo much better now. As we already see, the Sprint tech I had confirmed with me that both Sprint and Verizon Blackberry Tours are having this problem sporadically.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I had my original Tour for about 4 months and I tolerated the trackball issue until it became unbearable. I read on a post that someone went into Sprint and went to have the issue looked at and they stated that Sprint swapped out the trackball for a curve trackball and issue solved. I thought...great, I will do the same and I don't have to swap out my phone, I was wrong....They swapped out my phone and gave me a new one which is working fine as we speak, the only thing is putting most of your apps on the new one is a pain in the donkey.

If you are having trackball issues, Sprint will swap it out regardless of the 30 day exchange, that looks to be the only solution. Although I did see a thread where someone took apart the whole phone, placed a small piece of cardboard behind the trackball and they stated it worked.

OK...Enough rambling for today!
    Sprint is VZW's stepchild. Maybe one day we might get a crumb from off the table!

Sprint Nav OTA Link
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

Ordered and receive my new Tour (manufacture date of 10/03/2009) from Verizon last week. All is well. No trackball issue, no screen ripple effect, callers reported clear voice quality (no muffled effect) and the battery cage does not wiggle. Safe to say Verizon and RIM solved the issue.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I think it has to do a lot with if u keep your hands clean when using your trackball. You can always use a compressed air canister to clean it as well, you know the air canisters people use to clean out their keyboards?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    PIN
    30DCE2B0

Got my tour end of august. Put up with the trackball this long, can't take another day of it. Called VZW, they are shipping out a certified refurb?, or something along that line. I don't care that it is new or not, just want to be able to move the trackball, and click an icon without it jumping three icons over. A little bummed, because I have the phone set up the way I like it. First Blackberry ever, except for the trackball, love the phone. Plus my Otterbox Defender should be here tomorrow.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Got mine Aug. 16th. Worked fine for about 2 weeks, got scratchy for a bit, then started sticking. Noticed my ball sits in a lot farther than my wifes does so I called and had a replacement sent. Mistake. They sent a "certified refurb" that had case scratchings all over it, a scratch on the screen, and a trackball that was so bad you it actuallly sounded like it was rolling in sand. Needless to say it's on the way back to VZW. Told the rep not to bother shipping another as I'm going to a store so I can see the next one before they try to pawn another p.o.s that someone abused the **** out of.