So I work for a large consulting company and after today, the only approved devices that will be able to get email are iphones, nokias, and windows mobile devices. I own a storm and was going to go for the tour, but just found this out this week. I'm definitely not switching from vzn to att but I was wondering if anyone has experience with windows mobile phones. should i just sacrifice not getting work email on my phone and have a blackberry or get a windows mobile phone and continue to get work email on my phone. I'm still trying to get over this news.
    07-07-09 02:22 PM
    those other phones blow with email, maybe im addicted to my bb, but from my experience with e-mail, bb's are quite superior in this sense.
    07-07-09 02:24 PM
    Wow that makes no sense.... Is your work email nessary?
    07-07-09 02:25 PM
    nothing is as good as a blackberry when it comes to e-mailing. Wonder what the reasoning is behind not being able to get a blackberry where you work?
    07-07-09 02:26 PM
    It sounds like you're not required by company policy to have mobile access to work email -- how important is it for you to have email on your phone? Are you in a field where questions/work requests/etc. could potentially come in via email at all hours?
    Wow that makes no sense.... Is your work email nessary?
    Yea, not necessary while I'm at work but it's good in the sense that I don't have to turn on my work computer at night to check email and I also work from home on Fridays so I can go out and run errands all day Friday while having emails and ims come to my phone. I'll just have to stick around the house on fridays
    I would look for a new job, if people are making decisions like that then their not going to be in business long

viva la blackberry!
    07-07-09 02:27 PM
    its apparently due to economy and the company not wanting to pay bes fees for a ton of people. Yea email is pretty important for me to get all the time. Has anyone on here had experience with windows mobile phones or know someone who you've gotten to hear a lot about wm from?
    07-07-09 02:28 PM
    LOL I'd just get a blackberry and have the email client forward copies to your bb email account.. That's what I do with my class sinc eI don't want to check it all the time. Is it outlook or a yahoo type email?
    07-07-09 02:29 PM
    Now thats funny, in your companies evaluation of email on mobile devices Blackberry didn't make the list. That really don't make any sencs!

You could ask your company if it would be ok that you could just have your work email forwarded to another address. Then you could just have it forward to your blackberry.net account or other account that gets pushed to your phone. If their concern is only with "approved" devices connecting to their mail server this way avoids that and still lets you get your mail.
    07-07-09 02:29 PM
    Verizon being your only option. Looks like you won't be getting emails to your phone. Because Windows Mobile is terrible don't do it. Especially after using a Blackberry. You will want to commit suicide.

Tell them you either pay for a phone line for me to receive email or let me use my blackberry or I won't get work emails to my phone.
    07-07-09 02:30 PM
    I have used several windows mobile phones, and unfortunately, I do not have many good things to say about them. It was slow, clumsy, and an overall pain to operate. Any phone that requires a stylus is a piece of junk in my book.
    07-07-09 02:31 PM
    this make a lot of sense from a compants perspective. to run a BES network to push your work email will cost your company thousands and thousands of dollars a year where windows mobile and the iphone is free.
    so from the stand point of a company wanting to cut some cost this would be a great step
    if i remember correctly its like 20thousand a yr for BES
    07-07-09 02:33 PM
    Forget that.. Just set up outlook to forward email to your bb email address.. Case solved and you get a good phone

Using Microsoft Outlook to Forward Emails to Your Home Email Address - Associated Content
    07-07-09 02:36 PM
    how about this....if you're job has Outlook Web Access set up, then you can just log into that using the browser....
    07-07-09 02:36 PM
    Yah I've been on a windows mobile phone for a while and never again. The OS is very laggy (could be my phone) and seems bloated. I can't wait to call the Tour my first blackberry. FYI, there will most likely be a way to get your work e-mail even if you do get a blackberry through OWA (outlook web access).
    07-07-09 02:45 PM
    Getting email with either the iphone or WM will be fine depending on what your priorities are. Most of the advantages of the BB are from an enterprise standpoint. Activesync, in my experience, worked very very well for over the air synchronization with a minimum of fuss. The WM interface is not as convenient and facile as the BB OS, but it does work.

If the user interface is important, you could go with the iphone. THe newest one, I think, finally has voice dialing, but then you will have to use ATT.

IF I were you and I really wanted my work email on my own BB phone, I would access the exchange server through BIS on my BB. It is not very good, but it works. The stipulation by your company may mean that they do not intend to support BES because of the cost - apparently control and security is not an issue to your IT boys and girls.
    07-07-09 03:34 PM
    If the company will let you use an iPhone, just get your company's incoming/outgoing email server, put in your login information, use a BIS data plan and voila!
    07-07-09 04:10 PM
    So I work for a large consulting company and after today, the only approved devices that will be able to get email are iphones, nokias, and windows mobile devices. I own a storm and was going to go for the tour, but just found this out this week. I'm definitely not switching from vzn to att but I was wondering if anyone has experience with windows mobile phones. should i just sacrifice not getting work email on my phone and have a blackberry or get a windows mobile phone and continue to get work email on my phone. I'm still trying to get over this news.
    Oh man, I feel for you, the same thing happened to me at my last job and I ended up with a Motorola Q (running Windows Mobile, of course). Literally every time I used that thing I wanted to throw it out the nearest window, I just hated it! So much so that I wrote a review on CNET, saying the device made me want to short Motorola stock (I should've added Microsoft's as well). And I'm no anti-Gates nut; I actually really like Windows (and especially Office) on my desktop, just nowhere near my phone.

I posted a comment similar to this about WinMo on here a couple of weeks ago and a bunch of pro-WinMo types chimed in that I was off the mark, so who knows, maybe you wouldn't dislike it as much as I did. But I find it interesting that nearly everyone who has positive things to say about WinMo tends to preface their comments with something like "The latest version of WinMo is a big improvement", or something similar. Meanwhile, BBs have been working great for at least six years now, since I first tried one. The main problems with WinMo, by the way, are a laggy OS and poor battery life, which together make PDAs running that system pretty much unusable. And before any of you people get on me about the HTC being really good with their Flo or whatever that window dressing is called, I've tried those devices, and they are also NOT good. Also, I haven't come across a WinMo device with a decent keyboard, although I would think that that would be the easy part for someone to get right.

I do hear your company's grief on the cost of operating a BB, mind you, ouch. I'm currently stumping up my own $$ for the upgrade from BIS to BES, since my company only shells out for the former. $50 a month for a dataplan ain't cheap. But I've resigned myself to paying it as I can't really live without my beloved Berry. So sorry for the long-winded answer and I wish I had better news for you. If I were you I'd definitely go the iPhone route, as those work pretty well. Whatever you do, leave WinMo off your list.
    Last edited by new_ti_boston; 07-07-09 at 04:32 PM.
    07-07-09 04:28 PM
    Winblows mobile devices are only semi-decent with email when using wireless sync

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 04:30 PM
    those other phones blow with email, maybe im addicted to my bb, but from my experience with e-mail, bb's are quite superior in this sense.

even if you are on BIS?.....because that is not what I've been reading....
    07-07-09 04:32 PM
    Then you've been reading wrong. I'm on the BIS and my Blackberry email is incredible

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 04:37 PM
    If they are indeed blocking BIS from OWA, I'm assuming iPhones and WinMo phones are using ActiveSync for your work email?

Another option is to buy an ActiveSync client for your BB (like AstraSync), but then you will have to pay yearly fee for that as well ...
    07-07-09 04:57 PM
    Cant speak for the other options, but dont do windows mobile. with exchange push on, you will be lucky to have your battery last the day, not to mention the constant reboots. Im gonna be ditching WM for the tour. Anything I use that doesnt work on the Tour I've got an ipod Touch for.
    07-07-09 05:35 PM
    That's very odd that they won't allow BlackBerry at your company. Just out of curiosity, what type of field do you work in?

Anyway, someone else previously mentioned having your mail forwarded to the account that you have pushed to your BB. I think that might be your best bet.

Also, I assume your work phone is paid for by the company, so if it's possible why not get whatever they require you to have and get a Tour for personal use? Just an idea.
    07-07-09 05:41 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD