auto-complete email address is not working! (help!)
It worked fine for the first 10months ... Now blammo, nadda!
When I type an email (compose new, reply or forward), my email addresses from my contacts now longer auto-magically auto-fill. It doesn't matter what category the contact is from.
I've tried alt "rbld" in the contacts. I've restarted about 15times over the last week, even with the almighty battery pull. I've tried re-syncing multiple times. I've removed and re-installed my email accounts. I've spent more time trying to fix it than typing in the dern addresses at this point, it's just so blastedly inconvenient and time consuming with my excessive emailing for work. I'm ready to try a stick dynamite attached to the phone, but thought it was a lil extreme, so I'm asking for help first... "HELP!"
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
- 06-17-2010, 11:45 AM #2
I am having the same issue so wanted to get on this thread instead of starting a new one. It used to be when I would compose a new email I could start typing in a name in the "TO:" field and the phone would start auto-populating or listing names from my CONTACTS to select from, but it no longer does this.
Yet, if I type in the entire email address and hit the ENTER button, it will then enter the "TO:" field with the contacts name associated with that email address.
So, anyone have any ideas why this would start happening all the sudden?
I have the Tour and Verizon is my carrier.
- 06-27-2010, 12:18 AM #5
I had the same issue for the last week and neither RIM nor VZW could fix it. The following worked for me:
Go into your email box, go to options > General Option
My "Show Recent Contacts when Composing Email" was set as a Yes. I changed that to NO and waa'laa!
- 06-28-2010, 09:42 AM #6
Well, finally decided I would do a backup with Desktop Manager and have it check for new applications/etc through there. When it hooked it said there was a new OS from Verizon. Downloaded that and other updates, rebooted during that process, and ever since then has been working just fine again...
- 03-19-2011, 01:18 AM #11
I have had the same problem for over 3 months now and the only way i figured to fix it was completely rebooting my phone to factory setting and loading back my addresses to it.
If it helps, everything got screwed up again the minute I sync with my computer.
I've tried your suggestion and IT WORKED!!!!
- 04-27-2011, 03:40 PM #12
I had the same problem and found that a new app or upgrade can easliy cause this. The only way I have found to correct this is to back up the phone, then do a security wipe. Once done re-sync the phone only with no new added applications -check it. It should then work fine - then only install the applicationz(s) you had on the phone up until it started to cause the problem.