Seems like the 9650 took over and is getting BB6 (i know the 9630 isnt), but how about the 9630? What kind of upgrades in the future should we be looking forward to? Or should we be upgrading to the 9650 too??
    Last edited by jps239; 09-19-10 at 07:36 PM.
    09-19-10 05:36 PM
    What is there to look forward to? The last official OS 5 release from Verizon is solid, and since we are not getting OS 6 there probably wont be much else support for the Tour.

Look forward to when your contract is up? Thats all I got.
    09-19-10 05:54 PM
    I agree, dead Duck! Not very happy with RIM lately and the Droid is starting to look better and better.
    09-19-10 06:42 PM
    I did my early upgrade to the Droid 2. Full flash 10.1 sure is handy on a mobile device. There are still a very few random things here and there you can't do but it is much better than without.

I didn't think there was much to look forward to and to me, Bold was not a significant enough jump forward to bother upgrading to.
    09-19-10 06:57 PM
    Agreed, the 9630 is a goner, and that's too bad.

I just added a line to my family plan, and my brother ported in to get the Droid X. The more time I spend near that phone, the faster I want to sell this thing and early upgrade

I don't think that 6.0 was as impressive as it was hyped to be, so maybe the jump to a new platform won't be too bad?
    09-19-10 08:11 PM
    I agree the 9630 isn't getting anymore love.

My biggest complaint about the whole 9630 thing is how much more $ would it have taken to put a trackpad on this thing? For what I use my phone I have plenty of memory and it has plenty of power. If I had a trackpad I would be fine to have this phone for 3-4 years easily. But now I sit here with a trackpad that is barely functional... patiently waiting to upgrade. Very frusterating.
    09-20-10 11:45 AM
    Its not so much that the Tour has become obsolete, its that OS 6 was such a disappointment that there's no reason to be excited about anything concerning RIM any more.

OS 6 was merely a small upgrade from 5 in both physical appearance and functionality. It took so long to roll out 6 that OS 7 is probably a year or two away. Does anyone with their Tour really feel like they're missing anything by not having OS 6? I certainly don't.

RIM has fallen behind big time. If they're not careful even Microsoft will surpass them in the mobile market. The issue here isn't so much that our phone has become obsolete, its that RIM is becoming obsolete.

Its going to be extremely hard to move on to a different device after enjoying BlackBerry for so many years, but there comes a time to think about what benefits you the most.
    09-20-10 08:46 PM
    OS 6 really isn't anything special in my opinion, coming from the 9650's perspective, the OS is extremely laggy,the interface blocks the wallpaper, and it just seems like a "rushed" product. I went back to OS 5 two hours after installing OS6.

Take it how you will, the Tour is still a great blackberry, don't feel bad about not getting it.. you're not missing anything important... but that's my opinion.
    09-20-10 09:44 PM
    You should look forward to going back to a Blackberry.... after you are sick of all the other OS's out there....

I had a Bold last year and switched to a Droid, then a Palm Pre..... and after a few months I lunged back onto the Tour. Yes, the HTML browser kind of blows but the calendar, multitasking, stability, keyboard, push e-mail and battery life overweight the browser for me.

So I say go and get a droid x or an incredible, you'll be back.
    09-21-10 06:52 AM
    you're nuts. droid stomps any blackberry...you can't deny that. anyway, i cannot wait to make the move as i've used my co-workers old original droid for about a month now(testing to see if i'd like it). i'll probably wait until beginning of next year(Q1 time) before purchasing an android phone. then there should be ~1.5ghz phones
    09-21-10 08:25 AM
    OS 6 really isn't anything special in my opinion, coming from the 9650's perspective, the OS is extremely laggy,the interface blocks the wallpaper, and it just seems like a "rushed" product. I went back to OS 5 two hours after installing OS6.

Take it how you will, the Tour is still a great blackberry, don't feel bad about not getting it.. you're not missing anything important... but that's my opinion.
    OS6 is far better than OS5, there's no lag in my install. But you're right, the Tour is a great device. Just don't expect to see frequent updates. Since Storm went EOL only one or two updates have surfaced.
    09-21-10 08:32 AM
    I am looking forward to my upgrade date :-D
    09-21-10 02:01 PM
    You should look forward to going back to a Blackberry.... after you are sick of all the other OS's out there....

I had a Bold last year and switched to a Droid, then a Palm Pre..... and after a few months I lunged back onto the Tour. Yes, the HTML browser kind of blows but the calendar, multitasking, stability, keyboard, push e-mail and battery life overweight the browser for me.

So I say go and get a droid x or an incredible, you'll be back.
    No offense, but you're crazy. Stability and BB don't seem to go together in my experience. Signal/3g stability or system stability. My Tour had such bad random lagging it was frustrating.

It's pretty arrogant to suggest any of us will come running back. I escaped, and I'm not missing a thing other than bbm, and that gets less and less by the day.

I probably will be back to BB one day though. Once BIS allows two way sync of email including browsing your folders, contacts, calendar, etc just like BES does for business customers. Oh, and they'll also have to increase their device's hardware and software
    performance alot too including a lot more support for fun apps/multimedia.

I don't understand why people don't seem to like the android calendar, multitasking or anything like that. They work great for me, and I don't have to struggle with trying to get google sync to work, it natively syncs for me.
    09-21-10 02:18 PM
    It's pretty arrogant to suggest any of us will come running back. I escaped, and I'm not missing a thing other than bbm, and that gets less and less by the day.

I probably will be back to BB one day though.

See!

Depends on the user I guess. I use my phone for work more than anything, so I don't expect the multimedia features to flourish. Apples vs Oranges I guess.
    09-21-10 03:06 PM
    With the droid 2, I have my gmail, hotmail, and yahoo pushed plus I can browse the folders on my mobile too. Try that with BIS. Oh wait, they've decided consumers don't deserve the same quality email solutions that BES offers.

It is silly to discount how much a good browser can add to communications. I can now do 100% of my banking while mobile. My BB didn't like my bank's website at all.

I agree, it's all about personal preference, but to me, I can't see why BB folks don't like android. Especially now that there is some true push email to the devices.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-21-10 at 04:22 PM.
    09-21-10 04:13 PM
    Let's stop pretending that the BB is above and beyond the Droid or the iPhone, it's not anymore. The specs for the Torch are already a year behind Droid and iPhone 4 and it's not even been on the market for a solid month yet, and is being marked as new and fresh. One of my friends and my sister both have the Incredible and it absolutely destroys the Tour and the Torch in every way possible.
    09-21-10 06:12 PM
    I was going to post up a thread asking if the Tour was an orphan, but I hit this thread first. I couldn't figure out why the Curve continued to be sold, and then the Bold came out right behind it. I like the way push email works, and with Missing Sync I can sync with my Mac laptop. So, all in all it works fine. BUT, the browser is slow and tiny, Bluetooth sync with the car is fair. Don't know where I'll go in six months, but RIM has given me reason to shop.
    09-22-10 09:34 PM
    I am looking for experienced 9630 users who are comfortable with the os loading and testing process as well as have the ability to provide detailed feedback. We are a small group of very experienced builders/testers in need of a Hand-full of tour users willing to join our team. If your wondering what team i am apart of, then look at my signature

please pm me for more details if ur interested and me n my team will get back to u promptly

thanks in advance!
    09-24-10 05:21 PM
    what you can look forward to from the Tour is a device that's quite solid and has had all the kinks worked out. Perfect for business.
    09-24-10 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD