There is a whole thread on here regarding using your tour on Sprint as a modem to connect to the internet on their laptop. I followed the directions on that thread unsuccessfully and was wondering if any one has successfully accomplished doing this (Is it even possible??), and if so, if they could post how they do/did it?

Thanks
    11-24-09 06:56 AM
    I would like to know as well. Having read the same thread and following the directions to the letter yet I keep getting an error stating no response from host pc. Tried through desktop manager directly as well as smartview and no luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 07:19 AM
    It used to be possible, but not any longer. Sprint used to allow anyone to tether even if tethering was not included in their plans. I used to benefit from this; a whole bunch of people did. But then, within the last 2 months, they seem to have made it a priority to limit people's ability to do so. Other service carriers have already done the same. Now, you need to have tethering on your account to be able to use that feature. It's either that, or buy an application known as Tetherberry, which allows you to connect regardless. Tetherberry is pretty expensive at $49, but it is a one time fee, and is the best way to tether without any hassle. Sprint has no way of knowing whether you are using data on your phone or on your computer, so you're never charged. I personally love the app. There is also another software called PDAnet or something like that which is cheaper, but I didn't like the reviews so I've never used it.
    11-24-09 07:51 AM
    If you have "Any Mobile, Any Time" on your plan, you can't tether with a smart phone. If you want to tether, you'll need an app like Tetherberry which routes/masks your computer data as phone data (e.g., if you pull up youtube.com on your computer, it's routed as if you pulled it up on your blackberry browser).
    11-24-09 08:42 AM
    I use if often if I'm not in wireless range with my PC or my MacBook Pro. I use it with either the SmartView applet from Sprint (on the PC) or with the Phone as Modem option with the latest DM software. Sometimes I use it without a cable using the Bluetooth connection to the MacBook Pro. It works well for me. Yesterday in the O'Hare airport, I used the 9630 to connect for about an hour via Bluetooth. I DO HAVE PHONE AS MODEM as part of my data plan though.
    11-24-09 09:41 AM
    Thinking of getting Tetherberry, it's now $19.99....any thoughts? I'm on Sprint Sero plan....
    01-08-10 10:59 AM
    Thinking of getting Tetherberry, it's now $19.99....any thoughts? I'm on Sprint Sero plan....
    $19.99? I see it for $24.95... where do you see it at that price?
    01-08-10 11:48 AM
    you have to purchase through BB App world for $19.99 price....
    01-08-10 11:49 AM
    Ahh, I see... damn I hate App World!!
    01-08-10 12:33 PM
    I just want to make sure it will work with Sprint....
    01-08-10 12:33 PM
    I've always been able to tether by setting up DUN (bluetooth) and dialing out #777. Haven't tried it yet with OS5 .419 leak though
    01-08-10 01:13 PM
    newest version of tetherberry, now "tether" works with sprint.
    01-08-10 01:27 PM
    newest version of tetherberry, now "tether" works with sprint.
    awesome!! thanks!
    01-08-10 01:28 PM
    I just want to make sure it will work with Sprint....
    There has never been a time that Tetherberry or 'Tether' as it is now called didn't work with the Sprint Tour. It always has. I thought my previous post made it abundantly clear that the application works flawlessly with all incarnations of the Sprint Blackberry OS. I have used with all the available OS on the Tour: Stock OS 4.7.57, and leaked versions .230., and .419. The updated version merely adds the ability to use a Bluetooth connection, and is supposedly faster. Other than that, it continues to be as good as it ever was. It is really the only way to tether these days, unless one uses PDAnet, a similar app, or unless you have the tethering feature included in your plan. Read my prior post. This isn't news. All you need is a data plan. Most people have unlimited data plans, so data consumption is not usually a concern. However, if you have limitations on your data plan, you need to monitor your data consumption closely while using the app, or you might go over and be rewarded by hefty fees at the end of the month. If you don't have data included in your plan, you shouldn't use this app at all, or you might have to sell your car at the end of the month to satisfy the fees you will incur...
    Last edited by Barredbard; 01-08-10 at 01:55 PM.
    01-08-10 01:50 PM
    thanks barredbard
    01-08-10 01:52 PM
    you have to purchase through BB App world for $19.99 price....
    Not anymore! CB App Store just changed their prices to $19.99!
    01-08-10 03:21 PM
    Eh. I just use Sprint Smartview.

Works like a champ.

01-09-10 12:46 AM
    Eh. I just use Sprint Smartview.

Works like a champ.

I have Sprint Smart View on my computer, could you please give me on instructions on how to use this with the blackberry? Thanks!
    02-03-10 08:25 AM
    just went to BB app store and CB App store, $49.99 on both, What's up? I would buy tether in a heartbeat for 19.99.
    02-03-10 10:56 AM
    Same here, I would definitely purchase it for $19.99
    02-03-10 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD