this last fix works for me everytime
    07-22-09 01:53 AM
    So, i've tried every fix listed here. I've taken pictures with the crosshairs white, I've checked all my settings. No matter how sure I am there's a GPS signal and geotagging is set to on, when I load images into picasa, the geotag menu is greyed out.

Is there another way to view and utilize the lon/lat info. I use gimpshop instead of photoshop, btw.

thanks.
    08-05-09 03:13 PM
    I found that preview on mac osx can view the info and even locate it on google maps. Strange thing is, no matter where the picture was taken, it shows it in southern china. This includes pics I took at home and pictures i took 1000 miles away. hmmm....
    08-05-09 03:33 PM
    i seem to have issues with it.. however my fix works everytime..
    if I open google maps and allow it to grab satellites
    the icon shows up in the camera everytime and works perfect..
    this is with GPS turned on... in the settings.
    I am not sure why it only works for me this way but it was the same on the storm..
    This worked for me as well... force the phone to get a GPS lock in Google Maps then take a picture and GeoTagging works. Just tested and it worked like a champ.

Thanks!!

PS:

You do know that GPS is based off of satellites, and they can't see you when you are inside, right? Sometimes it works when you are near windows, but most of the time it doesn't.
    Not to be stickler for details... but it's your device, not the the satellites, that can't "see" (receive/hear more to the point) the signal being broadcast by the constellation of GPS satellites.

Everyone else: Google Maps and other third party apps will give a rough location because they are getting that location via assisted GPS. It is my understanding that the GeoTagging function in BlackBerries works only off of GPS, not assisted GPS.
    08-05-09 06:42 PM
    Everyone else: Google Maps and other third party apps will give a rough location because they are getting that location via assisted GPS. It is my understanding that the GeoTagging function in BlackBerries works only off of GPS, not assisted GPS.
    CORRECT! I was waiting for someone to mention assisted GPS (aGPS). The geotagging works on only GPS. Most other GPS-based applications use aGPS which means it uses cell phone towers to "assist" in getting your GPS location.
    08-05-09 07:02 PM
    Google Maps and other third party apps will give a rough location because they are getting that location via assisted GPS. It is my understanding that the GeoTagging function in BlackBerries works only off of GPS, not assisted GPS.
    Okay, now this is the first thing I've heard that makes sense! Thanks for this info.

Makes me wonder, however, just how intermittent the GPS functionality of my Bold must be.
    08-06-09 12:11 AM
    How did you get it to show up on google maps? When I open a geotagged pic on my bb it only seems to give the option to see it on bbmaps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 12:20 AM
    I had the same issue no matter how many pics I tried to Geotag I could never find the EXIF data. I did try a few programs out there but the procedure was long. So I ended uploading the pics here and you get the GPS location and coordinates so you can copy and paste them onto google earth,....very simple..take pic with bb tour..up load here:

Jeffrey's Exif viewer
    08-10-09 11:26 AM
    i was always under the impression that GPS via cell phone works via triangulation from the cell towers and not line of sight to satellites above?
    08-11-09 10:23 AM
    The term "GPS" always refers to triangulation via the constellation of GPS satellites, hence the term "assisted GPS" when tower triangulation is brought into play.
    08-12-09 09:15 AM
    The term "GPS" always refers to triangulation via the constellation of GPS satellites, hence the term "assisted GPS" when tower triangulation is brought into play.
    ok so the Tour is GPS or assisted GPS? i'll guess the latter since I can use GPS indoors (away from windows)?
    08-12-09 04:23 PM
    The tour has both aGPS and GPS. The GeoTagging aspect of the camera only pulls data from GPS though, not aGPS.
    08-12-09 04:55 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD