I have had my Tour since day one, and while it has had its issues (loose battery door, 2 phones with bad trackballs) I have been for the most part very happy with my purchase, up until recently. What is driving me crazy is the total lack of software updates for this phone. Why does Sprint throw their customers a bone and Verizon is happy to let us sit on the original OS for as long as they want? Yes I know that I could load whatever OS I want, but I Dont want to. I want official updates, and even those dont seem to be a lock to work (See BBM 5.0). Another kick in the teeth today was the fact that lower end devices like the Curve are now getting Wi-Fi from Verizon? And the POS storm is getting a full update to 5.0? It just seems like Tour owners are red headed stepchildren at the moment to Verizon. Blackberry in general seems to be taking a backseat to Android as well. The stories/rumors a few months ago about Verizon being pissed at RIM and turning their attention to the Motorola Sholes/Droid seem to be true. Thats why there hasnt been a Storm2 announcement, because Verizon really doesnt give a crap.The reviews have been poor at best, RIM purposely released the phone to only a select few for reviews so it wouldnt get savaged, and even then people still say OS 5.0 is just a patched over mess. I really want to love my Tour, but this is a seriously frustrating time to own one, especially when I see a phone like the Droid that is getting so much buzz, and more importantly SUPPORT and PROMOTION from Verizon.
    10-24-09 11:37 AM
    Its just good business is all. The android phones are going to be huge sellers for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-09 11:50 AM
    Well the Tour could be a big seller for them if the actually advertised it. Its funny to see RIM with all their ads out now trying to make the BlackBerry into something more than a business tool (even though the HW and SW may not be 100% up to the task just yet), and Verizon is having NONE of it. The 1st Storm and the hardware problems with the Tour seem to have left a bad taste in their mouth.
    10-24-09 11:53 AM
    In due time- right now there are lots of things in the pipline for all carriers. Updates, new devices, network upgrades., etc. I took my device form .40 to .53 while it was out for a short time, I see no big difference.

Ask around to the Sprint tour users, I am sure that you will get same response no big difference.

Maybe there upgrade had something to with an improvement of how the device works with their network or their applications. Just a thought.
    10-24-09 11:57 AM
    I dont think verizon is pissed at RIM.....

blackberry's are one of there top selling phones.. things happen I think your reading into to much.
    10-24-09 02:19 PM
    I have had my Tour since day one, and while it has had its issues (loose battery door, 2 phones with bad trackballs) I have been for the most part very happy with my purchase, up until recently. What is driving me crazy is the total lack of software updates for this phone. Why does Sprint throw their customers a bone and Verizon is happy to let us sit on the original OS for as long as they want? Yes I know that I could load whatever OS I want, but I Dont want to. I want official updates, and even those dont seem to be a lock to work (See BBM 5.0). Another kick in the teeth today was the fact that lower end devices like the Curve are now getting Wi-Fi from Verizon? And the POS storm is getting a full update to 5.0? It just seems like Tour owners are red headed stepchildren at the moment to Verizon. Blackberry in general seems to be taking a backseat to Android as well. The stories/rumors a few months ago about Verizon being pissed at RIM and turning their attention to the Motorola Sholes/Droid seem to be true. Thats why there hasnt been a Storm2 announcement, because Verizon really doesnt give a crap.The reviews have been poor at best, RIM purposely released the phone to only a select few for reviews so it wouldnt get savaged, and even then people still say OS 5.0 is just a patched over mess. I really want to love my Tour, but this is a seriously frustrating time to own one, especially when I see a phone like the Droid that is getting so much buzz, and more importantly SUPPORT and PROMOTION from Verizon.
    ALL devices are getting OS 5.0 lovin in the next few weeks. By 2010, every BB from my 8130 to my Tour supposedly will have OS 5.0. So it's not too surprising that RIM is beginning to release new devices (Storm2, Bold 9700) with 5.0 preinstalled. Just be patient.

Speaking of my 8130. I'm pretty sure (correct me if i'm wrong someone) that OS updates came from a specific carrier (IE VZW-specific updates) every couple of months at best. So to expect that Tour updates are gonna be rollin out every week or two is a bit unreasonable. I understand VZW hasn't released a new OS, but for comparison's purpose, the Tour is a MUCH more stable phone than, say, the Storm at launch.

About the Wi-Fi. Shouldn't have bought the phone if you needed it. Simple as that. I think VZW's network is plenty fast, and works fine, so I don't need it. And the fact of the matter is, ALL new BBs are gonna start coming with wifi. Starting with the Storm2, then the Essex (you could call it the Tour2?), then i assume some flavor of the 8900ish device to replace the 8330. the fact is, phones get better over time. im sorry to break that to you.

And quit ripping on the Storm2 you've never touched. CB reviewed it and loved it. donno where youre getting any info. Yes, Verizons F'ing up the release. But the phone WILL come out, and it will be acclaimed over the Storm1

And of course BB is taking a back seat to android. BBs have always been business-related, and android is more for consumers. one could say WinMo has taken a back seat to Blackberry at VZW in the past five years. It happens. But Blackberry is not going anywhere.

Ok i'm done.
    10-24-09 02:30 PM
    .57 improved BT, reception, call quality, and seems to have improved battery life not to mention gps. Although it isnt 5.0 , at least we got something in the meantime. OP isnt the only one impatiently waiting for an upgrade.

10-24-09 02:37 PM
    I'm new to the tour as I've only had it week now but the sheer joy of having something that I can depend upon is almost.....well I'm lost for words. I have a bad case of OCD and the storm that I suffered through was like having a clunker car that required an hour of mechanical work done just to drive to the store and back. I am very happy with my phone now. I haven't been checking the boards every hour to see if a new leak is out to fix my phone AGAIN. The tour OS seems very stable. I'm just gonna wait patiently for the 5.0 and hope that RIM and VZW get it right. BTW I do have the green dot tour. No ripple, no trackball issues, and no battery door issue. And I kept my 8gb card for my time and trouble. Be patient my padawan learner, the path will open itself to you through the force (sorry I'm a scifi geek)

10-24-09 02:52 PM
    why don't you buy both companies and run things the way you want? new blackberries coming out...and with wifi too! how dare they.

10-24-09 03:45 PM
    To be honest I dont really care about wifi, VZW's network is fast enough for most anything, but it is a little annoying to see lesser devices like the Curve being equipped with it after investing money into a high end BlackBerry. And as for the Storm2 it is pretty obvious what RIM did, why freeze out respected reviewers and blogs if you have a solid device on your hands? There are updates out there that Verizon is either wary of or too lazy to post, I guess they would rather just update everyone to 5.0.
    10-24-09 04:02 PM
    To be honest I dont really care about wifi, VZW's network is fast enough for most anything, but it is a little annoying to see lesser devices like the Curve being equipped with it after investing money into a high end BlackBerry. And as for the Storm2 it is pretty obvious what RIM did, why freeze out respected reviewers and blogs if you have a solid device on your hands? There are updates out there that Verizon is either wary of or too lazy to post, I guess they would rather just update everyone to 5.0.
    You must be refering to the Curve 2- all BB's after the tour are suppose to wi-fi. Welcome to the world of new things coming out after you get something new.
    Last edited by lastraid; 10-24-09 at 04:16 PM.
    10-24-09 04:06 PM
    You must be refering to the Curve 2- all BB's after the tour are suppose to wi-fi. Welome to the world of new things coming out after you get something new.
    The tone of your posts is really not necessary. If you bought a Cadillac 3 months ago and then Chevy released a midrange car 3 months later with features your Cadillac didnt have you would be annoyed. Car companies usually have the common sense to wait until the next model year to do stuff like that so they dont cannibalize their higher end products and customers.
    10-24-09 04:13 PM
    No tone here. Just stating fact. Happens all the time wether it be cars, electronics, or roller skates.
    10-24-09 04:17 PM
    It has been this way forever, think back to EVERY Verizon BB, and think of its software updates, they are always minimal. Its nothing to get frustrated over, just stick with the official or take a chance of installing the leak. Leaks arent even supposed to happen yet everyone takes it for granted like we are OWED those leaks...not the case, so just keep it in mind.
    10-24-09 04:18 PM
    No tone here. Just stating fact. Happens all the time wether it be cars, electronics, or roller skates.
    Of course it happens, but most companies go through some sort of logical model year cycle, refreshing year by year. Its almost like RIM started a model refresh in the middle of a cycle and left a lot of people (Mostly Tour owners) caught in the middle.
    10-24-09 04:23 PM
    Of course it happens, but most companies go through some sort of logical model year cycle, refreshing year by year. Its almost like RIM started a model refresh in the middle of a cycle and left a lot of people (Mostly Tour owners) caught in the middle.
    Dude. the new Curve (8930 i'd guess it would be called) WILL have wi-fi. but its NOT a "lower end device". thats like saying the 8300 is the same as the 8900. It's a NEW device, and such will have wifi.

and your wifi-automobile rant: Just cause you can get a nav system in your $25k impala doesn't mean its nicer than the $75k range rover you bought that *GASP* doesn't have the nav. That's just silliness. Just cause a "lower end" device as you call it has wifi, doesn't mean your higher end phone isn't nicer.

Heck, the Bold has a faster processor than the tour, and it's older. Complain about that too while you're at it. It's the same argument.
    10-24-09 05:52 PM
    You buy something today, its already obsolete.
    It's the way of any electronics.
    I have high end photo gear. It gets updated with new models every year, but other companies update their models every few months.

Because a curve or tour doesn't have the latest software is it prohibiting what you are doing? Probably not.
    Tour was a first gen device, as was the storm. Are there issues, yes.
    Expect that when you buy a first year model (back to the car reference).
    Companies are not going to release a device and then decide if they should upgrade it. I bet you the storm2 was in the works as the storm1 was first shipping.
    10-24-09 05:58 PM
    I bet you the storm2 was in the works as the storm1 was first shipping.
    Just like the essex was in the works as the Tour was first shipping.

10-24-09 06:06 PM
    It is business. They know what they are doing.
    10-24-09 06:36 PM
    Have you considered the fact that OS updates actually cause problems? If it aint broke don't fix it. The tour works pretty well. VZW won't commit to a new OS unless there are major issues that need to be addressed; hence the update for the Storm. The testing/approval process also takes some time between VZW and Rim. The tour works pretty well, and the OS is up to date enough for it to be one of the better RIM devices on the market.
    10-24-09 06:50 PM
    Welcome to "memememe" world. You're on crackberry and managed to start a thread so obviously you have some semblance of common sense. When you looked into the tour prior to launch, did you also look into forthcoming devices?

10-24-09 08:08 PM
    Come on guys, gives the OP a break. Yes, the way in which the complaint has been phrased is unorthodox and doesn't reflect a majority of our perspectives on the situation, but that happens.

Crackberry is supposed to be a supportive forum for Blackberry enthusiasts, not a place where we bash those people that have something to say.

In response to the OP, yes, it can be frustrating, but everyone who purchases any type of electronic device runs the risk of being outdated or obsolete or neglected the minute something new comes out. And in actuality, the time a product is developed and ready for sales, and the actual release time of the product to the public, are completely separate. Most businesses already have their next product in a workable prototype when they release the product right before it. It's just good business.

It's just that some businesses prefer to make more money off of their products by leaving them on the market for at least a year before they come out with new things. It gives the product a chance to run through a full market cycle.

So yeah, it's not quite fair, but it's business.
    10-24-09 09:28 PM
    1) RIM doesn't leak software

2) leaks will hit us soon.(tour)
    10-24-09 10:38 PM
    Oh my. You need to quit complaining. Your like that annoying customer then threatens to cancel because no one told him there would be a new model out in a few months. Thats the way technology is. Get over it
    10-25-09 12:38 AM
    Verizon takes a longer time to approve any OS's for their phones. They did the same thing with the Storm.

If a device is already having some issues, why release a half-junk OS?
    10-25-09 12:49 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD