so my tour has been buggy, but not terrible. been using the hybrid OS and it's working pretty well. despite that, i decided to look into swapping my Tour for a new one in hopes it'd work better. went to two different verizon stores but was told basically the same things at both...

"It's just the OS. Wait until BlackBerry updates it and you should be ok."

"We've swapped some peoples' Tours numerous times and every one had the same problems. Even if you get a new one, the problems will come back."

"These are known issues with the Tour. All of them do it."

i know they were just trying to avoid having to do a warranty return, but in essence, they told me that they're knowingly and willingly selling defective devices to people. as i was leaving one store, i heard the guy i was talking to say something like, "man, i hate having to do that to people." so i'm sure i wasn't the first person who'd come in complaining about the tour.
    08-04-09 01:59 PM
    Call in to Blackberry Support. If they can't fix it they'll warranty it.

800-922-0204
    08-04-09 02:27 PM
    Mine works great. Stop complaining. They are just minor issues

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 02:27 PM
    Wow... that was helpful.
    08-04-09 02:30 PM

Just because yours works, then everyone else's works too! Stop the presses!

A significant amount of people have a trackball that will NOT roll to the right. I would say that's far more than a "minor issue."
    08-04-09 02:33 PM
    Actually, I'm curious about Tour problems cause my mom has one. She came from a Curve and says that now almost everyone she talks to can't hear or understand her. Is this a software issue or does the tour's mike suck?
    08-04-09 02:33 PM
    so my tour has been buggy, but not terrible. been using the hybrid OS and it's working pretty well. despite that, i decided to look into swapping my Tour for a new one in hopes it'd work better.
    What do you mean by "buggy"? Not disputing it, just curious. You're running an unsupported OS so don't expect Verizon to help you unless you have a hardware issue. Also, you might get more mileage with *611 than with the store.
    08-04-09 02:34 PM

you must work for verizon, b/c that was pretty much what they told me at the store.

08-04-09 02:41 PM
    What do you mean by "buggy"? Not disputing it, just curious. You're running an unsupported OS so don't expect Verizon to help you unless you have a hardware issue. Also, you might get more mileage with *611 than with the store.
    sorry. bugs were with the stock OS, not the hybrid. i am having hardware issues, but the verizon guys basically chalked everything up to a bad OS. had i pressed the issue, they probably would have said an OS update would fix my loose battery door too.

08-04-09 02:43 PM
    lol this is funny!
    08-04-09 02:43 PM
    I had the same situation... Had been noticing that the trackball would stick when going to the right, battery only lasted a few hours (very little use) would get really hot near the bottom, and the screen would freeze at different times throughout the day for about 20-30 seconds.
    I posted the problem on VZ forums and was advised to replace it. I gave it another few days to see if it improved....it stayed the same. I called tech support, they had me turn the phone upside down on a piece of paper and move the phone in circles to loosen up the trackball....didn't work - he told me to either take it to a store and return it or he would mail out one.
    I took it to the store, the tech looked it over and said he couldn't get it to stick. He looked in the computer, printed out some papers and said it looks like there will be a software release in less than 30 days to fix the issue with the trackball. He wouldn't replace the phone - even though there was a note on my account to do so. He also said they hadn't heard of any problems with the tour and they hadn't replaced any at that store. He did replace the battery. I went to another store the next day and they did replace it. The trackball is much more responsive and I haven't had the screen freeze like it did - it still lags, as do most BB when first started up - an OS update may fix it.
    Soooo....long story short - stick to your guns and return it! Good luck
    08-04-09 02:44 PM
    you must work for verizon, b/c that was pretty much what they told me at the store.

No I don't but I am so tired of people complaining on this site. This site used to be helpful. Now its about people telling us their problems, by the way never go to a store for problems cal 611 and be really nice and you won't have a problem.

08-04-09 02:47 PM
    My first Tour had a sticky trackball, had the phone replaced and all is well. I got the impression from the Verizon tech that it is a hardware issue and not a software issue. He said the trackball was turning but the roller inside was not.
    08-04-09 02:49 PM
    I'm bringing mine back tonight to get my third. I hope this is the one I keep. There is a laundry list of things wrong with mine. Am I nitpicking in some instances? Yup. But I want a perfect device. So sue me. I dare you. Come on, do it.
    08-04-09 02:58 PM
    sorry. bugs were with the stock OS, not the hybrid. i am having hardware issues, but the verizon guys basically chalked everything up to a bad OS. had i pressed the issue, they probably would have said an OS update would fix my loose battery door too.
    I'm totally outing myself here but don't really care much. I had a similar experience at a Verizon store. I brought in a Curve that I had about 10 days (my first BB with Verizon though a long-time customer). I had already spoken with 611 about the "speaker blast" problem and they put a note in my file so I could swap out the Curve for the Tour. So.. at the store, the sales person tried to tell me that it was an OS problem (which it is) and I need the latest OS. Well, as many of you know, the latest supported OS on Verizon's Curve doesn't fix the speaker blast problem. So, I said that. So, she basically denied the problem. I told her to check the note from *611 that said I could swap for the Tour (was my second exchange within 30 day worry-free). I was really polite about it too. She said she had to talk to the manager. I blurted out that I'd cancel my contract if they wouldn't do it for me. Low and behold, she walked back with a new Tour.

WTF! I had a note on my account, was within 30 days, long-time customer, knew what I was talking about, etc. and got the run-around anyhow.

Same sales person tried to sell me a leather carrying case just like the one in the goddamn box and a mini-USB car charger (not a micro). In any event, I think I came out about $70 ahead because I was charged $199, reduced $100 for new every two (which she argued was a $50 credit and took the manager to correct, again), plus the $70 mail-in rebate. Basically paid $30 for my Tour. (Forgot to mention that I got my $35 device switch fee waived too for being polite about it and working through *611.) That's the only reason I could see for going into the store and I don't expect that mistake to be frequently repeated.
    Last edited by mallinj; 08-04-09 at 03:01 PM.
    08-04-09 02:59 PM
    Hope they fix all the os problems soon....
    08-04-09 03:37 PM
    I got a terrible runaround at two Verizon stores but I am way too lazy and tired right now to type the whole story lol
    08-04-09 03:45 PM
    Again never go to the store. Tell CS that you want the new device mailed to you. Don't take no for anything. The store people are just worried about money coming in.

08-04-09 04:50 PM
    Again never go to the store. Tell CS that you want the new device mailed to you. Don't take no for anything. The store people are just worried about money coming in.

But doesn't the mail delay eat up time to evaluate and return another possibly defective phone.

Re: poster complaining that the site use to be helpful but now too many complaints - the complaints are helpful to those of us trying to evaluated the Tour as a new phone.
    08-04-09 07:22 PM
    my tour is a little laggy (especially if i'm doing something like typing a message then a message comes in, it freezes), and the trackball is occasionally a little slow to respond, but i'm hoping it's all OS problems...
    08-04-09 08:03 PM
    I'm totally outing myself here but don't really care much. I had a similar experience at a Verizon store. I brought in a Curve that I had about 10 days (my first BB with Verizon though a long-time customer). I had already spoken with 611 about the "speaker blast" problem and they put a note in my file so I could swap out the Curve for the Tour. So.. at the store, the sales person tried to tell me that it was an OS problem (which it is) and I need the latest OS. Well, as many of you know, the latest supported OS on Verizon's Curve doesn't fix the speaker blast problem. So, I said that. So, she basically denied the problem. I told her to check the note from *611 that said I could swap for the Tour (was my second exchange within 30 day worry-free). I was really polite about it too. She said she had to talk to the manager. I blurted out that I'd cancel my contract if they wouldn't do it for me. Low and behold, she walked back with a new Tour.

WTF! I had a note on my account, was within 30 days, long-time customer, knew what I was talking about, etc. and got the run-around anyhow.

Same sales person tried to sell me a leather carrying case just like the one in the goddamn box and a mini-USB car charger (not a micro). In any event, I think I came out about $70 ahead because I was charged $199, reduced $100 for new every two (which she argued was a $50 credit and took the manager to correct, again), plus the $70 mail-in rebate. Basically paid $30 for my Tour. (Forgot to mention that I got my $35 device switch fee waived too for being polite about it and working through *611.) That's the only reason I could see for going into the store and I don't expect that mistake to be frequently repeated.
    I'm an employee there myself and the reason they gave you the runaround, although you had a note in your account saying it was OK to exchange the device is because you had already done one exchange within thirty days. The computer system literally WILL NOT allow a second exchange no matter what the representative tries to do. The reason they had to talk to a manager is because the manager most likely had to sell you a new tour and discount the difference in price which is a HUGE hit on the store. On top of it, sales representatives also get a chunk of their commissions taken away for every return/exchange that is done. However it does suck that customer service said it was okay but it should have been done BY customer service. They could have easily sent you a replacement. Anyway the real problem is just lack of communication, and many customer service reps over the phone do not know the store policies and pressures on the store reps
    08-04-09 11:35 PM
    I'm a little confused here. Since the tour hasn't been out for 30 days yet, shouldn't you be able to demand your tour be exchanged. When I resigned my contract I was told that I can return it within 30 days if I'm not satisfied for any reason. So if they give you a hard time about returns you could just as easily return your phone and then turn around and sign up again or am I missing something?
    08-05-09 12:41 AM
    My last contract, i was dissatisfyied within the 30 day rule, went through 2 different phones, they were a POS, 1 had a software glitch, the other just would not hold a charge, told them i want to port my number and leave to ATT, they could care less and had an attude about me after that. You guys rock at VZW, keep up the good work, ok!
    08-05-09 04:13 AM
    Slink317 in youre post you mentioned that a few problems with the tour was the trackball not moving to the right. Well I'm going to be getting one in a few weeks is the trackball issuue soething that eventually evolves. Wwhile in use or is it some thing I could check for before walking out of the store?
    08-05-09 05:55 AM
    Slink317 in youre post you mentioned that a few problems with the tour was the trackball not moving to the right. Well I'm going to be getting one in a few weeks is the trackball issuue soething that eventually evolves. Wwhile in use or is it some thing I could check for before walking out of the store?
    Some people are seeing the trackball problem immediately, while others had it develop over a period of a few weeks.

I had two Tours. For the first one, nothing seemed physically wrong with it but the trackball would definitely lag. "Feathering" the trackball seemed to help, but it was still immensely annoying. I took it back and got a replacement. Unfortunately I made the mistake of going to the store at night... and it took an hour to get the phone replaced, so I was there PAST closing time. When I got the new phone they pretty much handed it to me and pushed me out the door so they could close up. Unfortunately, on the way to the car I noticed that the trackball was now PHYSICALLY sticking, and I could feel it not making contact with the rollers inside the phone.

The next day, the trackball locked up completely. I pushed down on the phone hard and actually heard something "snap" which made me scared, but then the phone worked PERFECT... for about 3 days. Now it's back to where it was when I got it. Not sure if something is stuck or whatever, but it is only happening on the left-to-right movement. Nothing I do will loosen it up. My 30 day period is approaching next week, and I'm afraid that if I call CS and have one shipped to me, I might get one even worse than what I have now and be stuck with it. I'm going to the store on Sunday and to ask if they can fix it. The rest of my phone is perfect, so if they could take the phone apart and just fix the trackball that would be preferable to rolling the dice and seeing the quality of a new phone that I would get.
    08-05-09 08:39 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD