I own a Blackberry Tour 9630, with Sprint of course, and since the release of the Bold 9650 which practically replaced the 9630, does that mean that the Tour9630 gets no OS6 upgrade.
    The reason for my concern is that i'd absolutely LOVE to have the option of owning a newer, more fresh device, such as the Torch... BUT seeing how Sprint is so behind in the Blackberry game, and AT&T can afford to buy everything up, i'd at least like to be able to upgrade the OS for my device.
    So Please, if anyone knows about the possibilities of a Tour9630 OS upgrade to Blackberry 6, Please let me know.
    Thank You.
    09-21-10 04:06 PM
    The possibility of the Tour getting OS 6 is 1/10
    09-21-10 04:09 PM
    Thanks for replying,
    but by 1/10
    do you mean 11/10?
    I really hope so.
    09-21-10 04:25 PM
    haha, they meant.. like 1 out of 10 chance.
    09-21-10 04:29 PM
    It will be a Hybrid if you get it, since OS6 takes up so much memory, you won't have much application memory left. I'm still kind of surprised the 9700 is getting it since both devices have the same amount of memory. But the Tour has been discontinued, RIM wanted to get away from trackball devices and have everything Trackpad or Touchscreen...
    09-21-10 04:40 PM
    Whiskey tango foxtrot, over? Don't people read before posting? On the first page here there are what, 4 or 5 other threads asking this?

To answer the question, there is roughly a 0% (zero percent) chance of Tour ever getting OS6.
    09-21-10 04:41 PM
    Haha
    Man that sucks pretty bad.
    No complaints of anything,
    at least thus far,
    but everybody else is upgrading,
    even the Pearl 3G,
    and i'd like to jump on board.
    Such a let down.
    Sprint needs to get the program already,
    it's getting kind of ridiculous
    when it comes to Blackberry.
    09-21-10 04:43 PM
    I agree, that's why the Sandman and I went Android...
    09-21-10 04:51 PM
    I agree. I went to the Droid 2 because I got tired of the BB lineup. The 9650 would have felt like buying the Tour all over again but with a trackpad, wifi, and a little more memory.

I'm not going back to BB until RIM comes out with something that will trump all the competition. Small, incremental upgrades to devices and doing "refreshes" of devices may be alright for some, but I don't want a device with only 1/2 to 2/3 of the orocessor speeds, 512mb of internal storage vs 8gb, etc.

They used to have the market cornered on push, but android pushes gmail, hotmail and yahoo mail.

The choice is yours, but I can tell you that in my case, I did find greener grass in the android pasture...
    09-21-10 05:11 PM
    The possibility of the Tour getting OS 6 is 1/10
    And you know this how?
    09-21-10 05:44 PM
    haha, they meant.. like 1 out of 10 chance.
    I have to agree with this, I belive way back RIM used the Bold 9650 as the cutoff and personally I think now even though I still love my Tour, I think it is a shame Verizon, Sprint and anyone other major carrier that does not push RIM for OS 6 for us.
    09-21-10 05:46 PM
    It will be a Hybrid if you get it, since OS6 takes up so much memory, you won't have much application memory left. I'm still kind of surprised the 9700 is getting it since both devices have the same amount of memory. But the Tour has been discontinued, RIM wanted to get away from trackball devices and have everything Trackpad or Touchscreen...
    Very good point made here!
    09-21-10 05:47 PM
    Whiskey tango foxtrot, over? Don't people read before posting? On the first page here there are what, 4 or 5 other threads asking this?

To answer the question, there is roughly a 0% (zero percent) chance of Tour ever getting OS6.
    Sandman and Deceit... I am strongly considering the same thing for all the points you both bring up.

I am on Verizon and see you are too if you have the Droid 2 so of the Androids that Verizon has including the new Samsung Galaxy S device, what made you choose the Droid 2??
    09-21-10 05:51 PM
    Sandman and Deceit... I am strongly considering the same thing for all the points you both bring up.

I am on Verizon and see you are too if you have the Droid 2 so of the Androids that Verizon has including the new Samsung Galaxy S device, what made you choose the Droid 2??
    I liked the fact that the Droid 2 has a physical keyboard. It has been a bit of an adjustment from the Tour keyboard but I can use it somewhat fnctionally at this point although at times I use the virtual keyboard too. I like to break out the real keyboard when I need to type longer things because I tend to be a bit quicker and more accurate on it.

You will want to spend a ton of time playing with them at a corporate store (where they're going to be activated so you can see how amazing their online functionality is. Spend some time with Bold also for comparison.

The other thing I liked is Droid 2 coming pre-loaded with Froyo (Android 2.2) which has Flash 10.1 functionality also.
    09-21-10 06:02 PM
    I was hoping that Sprint will be getting some new Windows Phone 7 phone but alas MS said they are focusing on GSM and screwing CDMA carriers/potential customers... I wanted to try something new.. Had my free upgrade for months but nothing to choose... I might be going android as well as I do not want to buy a 9650 which to me is just a Tour..
    09-21-10 09:02 PM
    I have to agree with this, I belive way back RIM used the Bold 9650 as the cutoff and personally I think now even though I still love my Tour, I think it is a shame Verizon, Sprint and anyone other major carrier that does not push RIM for OS 6 for us.
    I don't know if it's an issue that our carriers could address... it was my understanding that was pretty much a hardware vs. software issue, in terms of OS6 requiring more memory than the Tour could effectively handle.

I have both the Tour (business phone) and the Bold (personal phone, finally needed to replace my trusty old Pearl when it gave out last month after years of good service) and don't find a major difference between them. The Bold does have the Wi-Fi feature, but I don't have a great need for it since I use my PCs at home and office, and my laptop with broadband modem when away, for most of my internet browsing and communication.

Maybe I'll see a significant difference when the OS6 upgrade is available. I haven't bothered to install the "leak" ... will let the more technically-inclined colleagues experiment with that til the bugs are worked out!
    09-22-10 12:14 AM
    128M rom,os6?just joke
    09-22-10 02:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD