There seems to be a lot of confusion about whether or not Alltel customers eligible for an upgrade are able to upgrade to the 9630 Tour without switching over to a Verizon plan. I wanted to let everybody know that Alltel customers can indeed upgrade to the Tour WITHOUT changing your plan to a Verizon plan. There was a great deal of confusion between the Verizon customer service reps and I believe that is also why many forum members are confused as well. I ordered my Blackberry Tour from a Best Buy store and was able to do so without making any changes to the plan. Basically, if you have an eligible Alltel Blackberry Plan you can upgrade to the Tour. The Verizon customer service representatives said the only thing they cannot do is add an Alltel phone onto a Verizon Plan. Why anybody would want to do that is beyond me, because I can't see any advantage to switching to a Verizon plan and paying more money for the same service if you don't have too.....
    07-14-09 05:38 PM
    Well that's good for Alltel users who really like their plans

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 05:39 PM
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about whether or not Alltel customers eligible for an upgrade are able to upgrade to the 9630 Tour without switching over to a Verizon plan. I wanted to let everybody know that Alltel customers can indeed upgrade to the Tour WITHOUT changing your plan to a Verizon plan. There was a great deal of confusion between the Verizon customer service reps and I believe that is also why many forum members are confused as well. I ordered my Blackberry Tour from a Best Buy store and was able to do so without making any changes to the plan. Basically, if you have an eligible Alltel Blackberry Plan you can upgrade to the Tour. The Verizon customer service representatives said the only thing they cannot do is add an Alltel phone onto a Verizon Plan. Why anybody would want to do that is beyond me, because I can't see any advantage to switching to a Verizon plan and paying more money for the same service if you don't have too.....
    This might be a stupid question...but you are talking about upgrading to a Verizon-branded tour, right? Have you received and activated it on Alltel with no problems?
    07-14-09 10:34 PM
    This might be a stupid question...but you are talking about upgrading to a Verizon-branded tour, right? Have you received and activated it on Alltel with no problems?
    I have not received the phone yet but there will be no problems with activating the phone. I have spoken with probably ten different reps and they are certain there will be no issues. Basically if you were in an Alltel market that was part of the acquistion by Verizon, there is no Alltel anymore....If I call 611 from my Alltel Curve, I am connected to Verizon's customer service. If I try to log into my Alltel account on line, I am directed to Verizon's website. Verizon really did right by Alltel customers on the merger because I was about to be out like the wind had they tried to strong-arm me.
    07-15-09 07:37 AM
    1. When I bought my Tour at my local Alltel/Verizon store, the girl told me I COULD keep my plan but I would lose unlimited texting so I changed it.......Is there anyway you think I could get it back?

2. Also, my Verizon branded Tour is having VERY hard time staying connected to my closest 800 mhz Alltel tower I always used with my Alltel-branded 8330, it keeps trying to pick up from a 1900 mhz tower twice as far away and is horribly frustrating when I'm used to always having voice/data service everywhere. The verizon rep told me they would push some programming to my phone to fix that but nothing has happened yet. If anyone knows anything about this, please help. Thx.
    07-15-09 12:15 PM
    1. When I bought my Tour at my local Alltel/Verizon store, the girl told me I COULD keep my plan but I would lose unlimited texting so I changed it.......Is there anyway you think I could get it back?

2. Also, my Verizon branded Tour is having VERY hard time staying connected to my closest 800 mhz Alltel tower I always used with my Alltel-branded 8330, it keeps trying to pick up from a 1900 mhz tower twice as far away and is horribly frustrating when I'm used to always having voice/data service everywhere. The verizon rep told me they would push some programming to my phone to fix that but nothing has happened yet. If anyone knows anything about this, please help. Thx.
    You need to call Verizon Customer service and tell them that the rep who helped you upgrade to the Tour gave you incorrect information and that you did not need to change your plan to upgrade. Honestly many Verizon Reps just assume that because you are coming over from Alltel you have to change to a Verizon contract. That is incorrect and if the first customer service rep you speak to tells you that you must switch to use a Verizon phone, ask to speak with somebody else. There is no reason you will lose your unlimited texts.
    07-15-09 03:48 PM
    So you renewed your Alltel contract but somehow finagled a way to get the Verizon-branded Tour? I just want to make sure I've got my facts straight before going to the Best Buy.
    07-15-09 11:03 PM
    Wow! I hope that works. I could buy a Tour (which I desperately want to do) and keep my Alltel plan (which I also desperately want to do). That would be so sweet!

What if my local Alltel is not 100% switched over? I can still log into my Alltel acct online, but our local Alltel store is now a Verizon store handling both types of customers. Do I have to wait?

Keep us posted on how the activation goes.
    07-15-09 11:26 PM
    So you renewed your Alltel contract but somehow finagled a way to get the Verizon-branded Tour? I just want to make sure I've got my facts straight before going to the Best Buy.
    Best Buy Mobile is where I first learned that you can upgrade to the Tour from an Alltel plan without having to switch plans. Every Alltel and Verizon rep I spoke with prior to July 10 said that in order to upgrade to a Verizon phone that I would need to be on a Verizon plan. But here recently some of the reps have provided me with the correct information which is that I am indeed able to upgrade to the Tour without changing plans....Most Verizon Sales reps in the stores have provided me with incorrect information and it is only when all call customer support that I receive the correct info.
    07-16-09 09:45 AM
    I have a Blackberry tour activated on a alltel smartchoice plan. I have had it since the day it came out and it is working without any problems.
    07-16-09 10:18 AM
    Hmm, this would be really handy if it's true. I've had VZW reps tell me that the only option was to create a new VZW account and wait out the alltel account until I can cancel it. I contacted VZW support and sent them this thread url as a reference to see what their reaction is.
    07-16-09 10:39 AM
    I was told by a local Alltel rep that if I wanted to renew my contract with Alltel now (I'm eligible) that I would have to upgrade the phone to an Alltel one..not a Verizon phone. Actually, I've had two local reps tell me that within the past two weeks. Verizon is not supposed to take over this local area until Oct.
    07-16-09 10:54 AM
    I keep having people tell me the same thing. I'm eligible for an upgrade on my Alltel account, but everyone keeps telling me that I can either upgrade to a different Alltel phone or switch to Verizon (only through paying the $200 early cancellation fee). It seems like there is no cheap way for me to get the Tour.
    07-16-09 12:05 PM
    It is because the Alltel Verizon merger is not complete yet. It is only completely switched over in some areas but not in all. So the areas that is completely switched over can keep their plans and get Verizon phones but those who live in areas where it is not complete just sit tight and wait for your area to be complete or if your contracts up just switch to Verizon
    07-16-09 12:12 PM
    They are correct from what I have heard.

forkup
    07-16-09 12:18 PM
    It is because the Alltel Verizon merger is not complete yet. It is only completely switched over in some areas but not in all. So the areas that is completely switched over can keep their plans and get Verizon phones but those who live in areas where it is not complete just sit tight and wait for your area to be complete or if your contracts up just switch to Verizon
    I would do the switch now for contract renewal, but there are no Verizon stores here. This area only has had Alltel and a few very minor carriers all along. This will be a completely new market for Verizon.
    07-16-09 03:42 PM
    ----Yes, I was eligible for an upgrade so they said
    07-17-09 07:07 PM
    Verizon Tour in hand....1-year contract extension on my Alltel contract...
    07-22-09 07:42 AM
    Hmm, I have 3 lines, 2 not under contract with dumbphones, can I upgrade one of them to the Tour without going to a verizon plan?

forkup
    07-22-09 07:50 AM
    Hmm, I have 3 lines, 2 not under contract with dumbphones, can I upgrade one of them to the Tour without going to a verizon plan?

forkup
    Now that is a good question as the reps I CS supervisors I spoke with said that you can upgrade from one dumbphone to another or one Blackberry to another Blackberry. That is a question you will need to ask a CS supervisor but you would have to add a Verizon data plan onto your account which I don't think can be done without switching over to an actual Verizon plan. You should look into that though...
    07-22-09 09:06 AM
    Well I do have the smartplan and a blackberry on the one line still under contract. What I wish I could do I is upgrade one of the dumbphones (I realise i'd have to do a contract on it) to the tour then swap it to the line I currently have a curve on then replace my curve with another dumbphone which is my daughters line. IE. swap out my curve for the tour for a discounted price with extended contract without changing to a verizon plan.

forkup

07-22-09 09:13 AM
    Well I do have the smartplan and a blackberry on the one line still under contract. What I wish I could do I is upgrade one of the dumbphones (I realise i'd have to do a contract on it) to the tour then swap it to the line I currently have a curve on then replace my curve with another dumbphone which is my daughters line. IE. swap out my curve for the tour for a discounted price with extended contract without changing to a verizon plan.

forkup

That would be nice....only thing is as you mentioned you would now need to have to data packages because the Curve and the Tour would need to have data service....I can't think of a way for you to swing that unfortunently....
    07-22-09 09:28 AM
    I do have the data plan on the one line with the curve on BIS. I'd like to get the tour on a line not under contract then swap numbers with the line which has the curve currently so I could get it at the discounted rate.

forkup
    07-22-09 12:59 PM

So you are on Verizon and not Alltel ?

CrackBerry User
    Device Model: 9630 (Tour)
    Carrier: Verizon
    07-22-09 01:57 PM

How would that be keeping your plan?
    07-22-09 02:00 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD