From the specs I've read, it seems like aGPS will be the end result of this high end device. So with no wifi and aGPS (usually means it will be locked down like the 8330), whats the point of upgrading???

Someone please tell me I'm wrong about this aGPS issue!!! I'm also surprised no one took note of this when looking at the specs (in light of the lengthy discussion about GPS lockdown in the verizon forums).
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-17-09 at 09:15 AM.
    03-17-09 09:13 AM
    I would highly doubt we would have locked GPS since the Storm didn't....unlocked GPS is the way of the future... with Google Maps, Poynt and all the other location based apps coming out. They are competing with Palm Pre, iPhone and the G1. Unlock is the way of the future.
    03-17-09 09:17 AM
    the storm is running with dual mode which is why its unlocked. If the specs are right and this phone has single mode aGPS, then just be prepared for the posibility of having the same problems with network lockdown!

I definitely hope your right but for all our sakes, we need to do research before we buy into this device! Our dollars speak volumes here! I'm not interested in this device if it doesn't have wifi (for me its about simplicity of world travel).... but if its GPS is locked, then I'm REALLYY not even gonna look at the damn thing to admire it from a distance!
    03-17-09 09:26 AM
    When they announce the device I'm sure all the specs will be made public information. If it is anything like the Storm I would guess we will start seeing advertisements around April (if it is coming out in May or June)
    Last edited by lyoko37; 03-17-09 at 09:30 AM.
    03-17-09 09:28 AM
    From the specs I've read, it seems like aGPS will be the end result of this high end device. So with no wifi and aGPS (usually means it will be locked down like the 8330), whats the point of upgrading???

Someone please tell me I'm wrong about this aGPS issue!!! I'm also surprised no one took note of this when looking at the specs (in light of the lengthy discussion about GPS lockdown in the verizon forums).
    Faster processor.
    Better, higher resolution screen.
    International Roaming.
    Better, autofocus camera.
    Stereo speakers (likely from the side speaker on the pics)
    EVDO Rev A support vs the curve's Rev 0
    03-17-09 09:53 AM
    Someone please tell me I'm wrong about this aGPS issue!!!
    OK, I will tell you. You are wrong. The answer is out there, you just have to take some time to look for it.
    03-17-09 12:22 PM
    OK, I will tell you. You are wrong. The answer is out there, you just have to take some time to look for it.
    ok, not speaking to a newbie,

I'd love for you to explain this to me (or show me a link) considering that I been around this forum for a long long time and have not seen any specs that say this phone will have dual mode GPS.

I also have not heard anything in regard to verizon unlocking their network restrictions to work with the aGPS chipset.

I'm sure there are inquiring minds that would like to know this as well as myself. So by all means, do provide!
    03-19-09 09:51 AM
    Just wait until all the facts surface before freaking out!
    03-19-09 01:35 PM
    Or go ahead and freak out! It's fun to read!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 01:37 PM
    aGPS means that it is assisted GPS, which means that it can use the cell towers to speed up a GPS location. It does not mean that it's locked down. Any locking down is entirely Verizons doing, which is the reason that I refuse to deal with them.

--Maven
    03-20-09 08:45 AM
    Just wait until all the facts surface before freaking out!
    right. what do you think this is, the Storm forums! relax.
    03-20-09 09:36 AM
    aGPS means that it is assisted GPS, which means that it can use the cell towers to speed up a GPS location. It does not mean that it's locked down. Any locking down is entirely Verizons doing, which is the reason that I refuse to deal with them.

--Maven

this is why I mention the lockdown issue. We been arguin this on the verizon forums for a long time, but for a little history...

verizon has blocked its network for use with the aGPS chip. The storm is unlocked only because it has dual GPS mode. And with a locked GPS, this means that all those cool apps that use GPS for one reason or another will not work on this phone.

So if the details listed on this phone are true, then it will most likely be another locked down device which will send me screaming over the hills! Add the wifi elimination and verizon has just effectively learned how to loose a customer extremely fast!
    03-20-09 11:03 AM
    aGPS is not full GPS, it's just a method of using cell towers to make for faster pinpointing of your location. So whether or not it's locked on VZW doesn't mean squat so long as the main GPS is not. And wasn't VZW sued over their locking of the GPS functions, and that's why they started unlocking a bunch of devices?
    03-20-09 11:27 AM
    aGPS is not full GPS, it's just a method of using cell towers to make for faster pinpointing of your location. So whether or not it's locked on VZW doesn't mean squat so long as the main GPS is not. And wasn't VZW sued over their locking of the GPS functions, and that's why they started unlocking a bunch of devices?
    a little facts my friend! aGPS is assisted GPS through the network. When the network blocks its use for the purpose of GPS, the GPS is useless verizon says so! We have been arguing this on the curve for months! So far the only thing that is unlocked for the aGPS is BB maps but thats it!

So if your willing to pay $9.99 and are willing to accept that all that will be available is VZ Nav, then you'll be fine! if you hate this as much as I do, then you can understand my rage over the issue
    03-20-09 11:33 AM
    Actually I heard from my wife who works for Verizon that part of the exclusivity agreement between RIM and Verizon for the storm is that all future and current GPS would be unlocked on blackberry devices. Verizon still wanted some control and that is why only BBMaps was unlocked on the Curve and Pearl and aGPS remained locked as well and is used by VZNavigator . That is also why the Curve and Pearl were unlocked pretty much around the same time the storm came out. Everything I have heard is that all future devices will be fully unlocked just like the storm.
    03-20-09 12:31 PM
    a little facts my friend! aGPS is assisted GPS through the network. When the network blocks its use for the purpose of GPS, the GPS is useless verizon says so! We have been arguing this on the curve for months! So far the only thing that is unlocked for the aGPS is BB maps but thats it!
    On the Storm, aGPS is locked, GPS is not. Plenty of 3rd party apps, such as Google Maps, work just fine (after Google fixed their code).

So if your willing to pay $9.99 and are willing to accept that all that will be available is VZ Nav, then you'll be fine! if you hate this as much as I do, then you can understand my rage over the issue
    I still think you're a bit confused on just what aGPS is. It just makes getting a GPS lock faster, that's it. Assuming the app is written to fall back on GPS when aGPS isn't available, it should work just fine if GPS isn't also locked. If an app isn't written to do that, it will fail, but that's the fault of the app and it's author(s), not the phone or carrier.

Also, I really don't get being upset to the point of "rage" over a cell phone. I find it very hard to get THAT worked up over a cell phone. At the end of the day, I see it the same as I would a screwdriver or a hammer. It might be a really nice screwdriver or hammer, but it's hardly the only screwdriver or hammer out there. If I have the time and energy to spend getting my panties all bunched about a cell phone, that's time and energy I could be spending on more productive things.
    Last edited by bigman2; 03-20-09 at 12:49 PM.
    03-20-09 12:46 PM
    bigman, aGPS doesnt just make it lock faster. aGPS "requires" data for it to function. In the case of the storm, GPS is used for 3rd party apps while aGPS stays locked (I believe) which is why its usable.

For us curve users, its 100% non functional and if the 9630 doesnt have a dual mode GPS istead of just aGPS, then its easy to see that this issue of lockdown and non functional 3rd party apps will drag on will into the future of verizon.

As far as rage, I think your reading into it too deeply...
    03-20-09 01:36 PM
    Actually I heard from my wife who works for Verizon that part of the exclusivity agreement between RIM and Verizon for the storm is that all future and current GPS would be unlocked on blackberry devices. Verizon still wanted some control and that is why only BBMaps was unlocked on the Curve and Pearl and aGPS remained locked as well and is used by VZNavigator . That is also why the Curve and Pearl were unlocked pretty much around the same time the storm came out. Everything I have heard is that all future devices will be fully unlocked just like the storm.
    I pray u are correct...
    03-20-09 01:39 PM
    Niagra's guts is the same as the Storm. Same chipset and capabilities. Expect nothing new but 256MB partitioned space instead of just 128MB from the onboard 1GB.

Let's hope RIM learns the error of their ways with the limited memory on the Storm now and maybe (just maybe) they up the partitioning on the Storm around the time the Niagra comes out. I need more memory. While you're at it why don't you just give Verizon the big middle finger and enable WiFi on both the Storm and Niagra. (we both know the tech is already onboard, you're not fooling everyone)

03-22-09 08:48 PM
    Niagra's guts is the same as the Storm. Same chipset and capabilities. Expect nothing new but 256MB partitioned space instead of just 128MB from the onboard 1GB.

Let's hope RIM learns the error of their ways with the limited memory on the Storm now and maybe (just maybe) they up the partitioning on the Storm around the time the Niagra comes out. I need more memory. While you're at it why don't you just give Verizon the big middle finger and enable WiFi on both the Storm and Niagra. (we both know the tech is already onboard, you're not fooling everyone)

I thought the storm didnt have a wifi chip inside
    03-23-09 02:18 AM
    I thought the storm didnt have a wifi chip inside
    Do you honestly think they'd make 3 different hardware models for the 9500/9520/9530? I don't think so. They made one with hardware model of 9500 and brand the model number as the 95XX (xx being the specific model) and that model branding is what controls the radios and capabilities. There is a lot of software controlled stuff under the hood of a Blackberry that we don't have access to.

Anyway, back on the Niagra topic.
    03-23-09 10:55 AM
    I assume Verizon is going to treat their blackberrys like every WinMo phone from this point forward. I.E. GPS will not be locked down. The Saga/Touch Pro/Omnia are currently locked down but are getting firmware updates in the next month or two to unlock them. The future devices I have seen on their roadmaps list GPS as being unlocked.

Using aGPS means it only needs two satellite fixes instead of the standard 3, because it can use the carriers network as well.

On Verizon aGPS will always be "locked down" however 3rd parties can now go through a certification process to get access to use aGPS. So if Microsoft or Google wanted to use aGPS they could. Right now it is just VZ Navigator, I believe. This makes sense because I don't think any carrier would want to give any 3rd party application access to any tower info without some sort of certification....

Using plain old GPS is what verizon has been locking down. They have changed that policy so any new device should have plain old GPS available for google maps or whatever you want.

You will be able to use GPS on the Niagra.
    03-23-09 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD