I love Blackberry, but I'm somewhat intrigued by the Pre. It seems like a neat concept and like a phone that I'd really enjoy having. With the recent news that the Pre might be coming to Verizon, I'm thinking about not getting the Tour right away.

BGR's first reports aren't the best (plasticy feel and meh keyboard) but those are both things that the Curve has. I love my Curve, but it's pretty light with a somewhat plasticy feel and the keyboard took some getting used to. I'll hold out and see what the reviews of the Pre hold, but if it looks optimistic, I might be holding out. I wouldn't want to use my upgrade on the Tour this summer only to realize a few months down the line that I should have waited for the Pre.

So, is anyone else having second thoughts? Please, don't bash the Pre as it's not even out yet and we have yet to see any reviews on the whole device. I know that you guys will say you don't trust Palm, but this a completely new device so I'm not judging by their past products.
    05-28-09 04:04 PM
    as I said in a past post.. the Pre is an amazing device (got to use one for about ten mins) and the operating system is groundbreaking in the way it handles information. I however do not like the Keyboard.. it feels cramped and isnt good for one handled operation. I think if the unit was a lil bigger I could get behind it but it doesnt make me say I could send 100 emails or BBM messages a day on it..
    05-28-09 04:08 PM
    See, I don't think you can really judge how a phone's keyboard is going to be after a few minutes of use. Coming from an enV to a voyager, to a pearl, storm, then a curve, I really think it just takes time. I wanted to throw my Pearl at a wall the first day, but I eventually grew to love it.

If the keyboard is its only fault, it doesn't concern me. I'm confident I can get used to any keybord given some time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 04:16 PM
    i like the pre too, but the keyboard looks like a nightmare to type on. i don't plan on holding out on any device until i have a tour in my hands.
    05-28-09 04:22 PM
    BGR didn't like it that much. I am waiting for the initial reviews to poor in. It would suck for Palm to have a flop on their hands. I am going to get the Tour and just wait and see what happens come December.
    05-28-09 04:29 PM
    How can you say BGR didn't like it that much? All they've said is that they didn't like the keyboard, and that it felt plasticy. They've made no other comments. I'm still waiting for their full review.

I don't think you can write off a device solely because of the keyboard. Look at our beloved Pearl...the keyboard looks horrific to type on at first. Given some quality time, though, it becomes quite easy.

05-28-09 04:39 PM
    I don't know why people are so amped on the Pre. I know that Palm revamped everything but as someone who used the 700p and the 700wx and then went from a Pearl to a Curve to a Storm I can't imagine ever having a Palm again. Anybody else share this thought?
    05-28-09 04:44 PM
    How can you say BGR didn't like it that much? All they've said is that they didn't like the keyboard, and that it felt plasticy. They've made no other comments. I'm still waiting for their full review.

I don't think you can write off a device solely because of the keyboard. Look at our beloved Pearl...the keyboard looks horrific to type on at first. Given some quality time, though, it becomes quite easy.

Lol seems like someone has made up their mind.
    05-28-09 04:46 PM
    There is no way I can wait 6 months when the Tour is supposedly right around the corner
    05-28-09 04:48 PM
    The key board is too small and I hate slider phones. I also prefer blackberry devices in general to palm ones, so I'll stick with the tour
    05-28-09 04:49 PM
    I don't know why people are so amped on the Pre. I know that Palm revamped everything but as someone who used the 700p and the 700wx and then went from a Pearl to a Curve to a Storm I can't imagine ever having a Palm again. Anybody else share this thought?
    I loved my 700p. It was much better than my Storm (all 5 of them), but isn't as nice as my Curve. I will, for sure, be giving the Pre a run.

And the Pre is not comparable to any other Palm device. It's a totally revolutionary phone (webOS to be more specific).
    05-28-09 04:50 PM
    as I said in a past post.. the Pre is an amazing device (got to use one for about ten mins) and the operating system is groundbreaking in the way it handles information. I however do not like the Keyboard.. it feels cramped and isnt good for one handled operation. I think if the unit was a lil bigger I could get behind it but it doesnt make me say I could send 100 emails or BBM messages a day on it..
    BGR's review said the same thing about the keyboard. They also said that it feels "plasticky". Not good IMO.
    05-28-09 04:52 PM
    You are comparing apples to an orange colored barn. The old palm os and Winmo 5 are lightyears behind the Pre's UI.
    05-28-09 04:53 PM
    I guess when you switch to the Pre. you'll have to switch to the Pinstack forums too. :-)
    05-28-09 04:54 PM
    I think the pre is a great device and sits in a good place for consumers..

Its just not for me. I did the iPhone/Storm Touch screen thing and I am ready to use my phone for what I actually need a phone for. Thats typing.. which I feel I can accomplish better on a blackberry with a qwerty...

I think they will sell a ton of pre's though and I think the phone looks awesome.
    05-28-09 05:04 PM
    I am only comparing them based on their past device history. I am simply saying that if I bought a mercedes that was a pos in 2000 am I always going to recognize that brand as a pos brand. I didnt like my Palm devices and I haven't had one problem with any of my Blackberries. That is all I am saying.
    05-28-09 05:06 PM
    Eh, companies can change. That's not the best view to have. They're really trying something new here.

I'm not sure the Palm is the device for me. I just don't think it's plausible to write off a device solely for a keyboard that you haven't even tried yet. I definitely have not made up my mind yet whatsoever.

05-28-09 05:22 PM
    yea after reading the review i am not getting near the pre. Too bad i was all set to use the pre as my back up. I learned my lesson read the reviews before buying. You cant find a good review on the storm. I mean at a real known reviewing sites. cnet was negative,boygenius negative,pcmag negative.

05-28-09 06:03 PM
    I think my biggest concern and reason for holding out (aside from the fact that i can't do NE2 until 12/1/2010) is that the blackberry OS...while it's functional and gets the job done it just doesn't hold up in terms of the consumer market. I'm a heavy private (ie: BIS not BES) texter, emailer, and BBMer and the berry is great but when i want/need applications and other forms of connectivity/usability the blackberry falls far short of my old iPhone.

Hopefully OS 5.0 will address some of this, but i don't see it being a real solution just yet.
    05-28-09 06:27 PM
    stick with the blackberry stick with the blackberry stick with the blackberry stick with the blackberry stick with the blackberry
    05-28-09 06:44 PM
    yea after reading the review i am not getting near the pre. Too bad i was all set to use the pre as my back up. I learned my lesson read the reviews before buying. You cant find a good review on the storm. I mean at a real known reviewing sites. cnet was negative,boygenius negative,pcmag negative.

Sigh. This is why I was hesitant to post this here. You read a 'first look' on BGR after that had first gotten the device. They said TWO THINGS. It felt plasticy, and they didn't really like the keyboard. I think you'd at least wait for a full review to pop up somewhere before you jumped ship.

Once again, I haven't made up my mind at all, it's just frustrating seeing people immediately writing everything off so quickly.
    05-28-09 06:53 PM
    I am definitely considering holding out. My brother will be getting the Tour and I can test his, and then we'll see how the Pre is. I just love the look of the OS. Almost looks nicer than the iPhone's.
    05-28-09 06:55 PM
    If I could get a Tour and somehow still have an upgrade available in case I wanted the Pre, I'd do that right away. Sadly, I don't think it's going to work out that way. If the Pre reviews are positive, and then I play with the Tour, it's going to be hard to hold out. Hopefully, if it comes down to that, I can do it.
    05-28-09 06:57 PM
    I, like many others, have not handled the Pre or the Tour. However, all things being considered (at least from what we know thus far), I have made the decision to get a Blackberry, and the Tour is the model that I am going to get.
    05-28-09 06:59 PM
    Oh, I forgot to mention, does anyone else think the iTunes sync is pretty neat? I know that BB can do it through some software, but it's nice to be able to just plug it right into my Macbook and transfer some songs.
    05-28-09 07:01 PM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD