so i think i've determined that my tour doesn't have a bum trackball. the battery door was a bit loose but some foam tape took care of that. the only issue i have now is the OS. occasionally it will "hang up" for 10-20 seconds (or more if i'm unlucky) at random. sometimes when i take it out of the case, sometimes coming out of standby, or sometimes when i'm checking email or doing something else online. i've heard the OS is a bit buggy but i don't know if this is a bug or an indication of a bigger problem. i also just put a Zagg invisibleShield on it which is why i'm apprehensive to swap (those things are a PITA to take off!).

so, should i suck it up and exchange it or are these random hang-ups just par for the tour? any advice would be appreciated (unless it's overy sarcastic .
    07-31-09 03:15 PM
    I got mine on the 12th when they came out for Verizon, I have only had mine lock up once or twice, and I blame it on me trying to run the SlingPlayer Mobile that was intended for the Bold. Haven't experienced what your describing. After reading the trackball thread, I called Verizon and said mine's bad, they didn't hesitate, said bring it in and we'll exchange it for a new one, no problem.

Been there and done that with the Invisible Shield. I LOVE their product, but I'm too lazy for that any more, after applying it to every device I've owned for 5 years now, I just bought a screen protector and a hard case for mine this go round. I think you should suck it up and exchange it, they will send you another shield for free, you just pay 3 or 4 bucks for shipping.
    07-31-09 03:19 PM
    my phone sounds just like your phone! i'm not quite sure what to make of it but let me know what you end up doing...
    07-31-09 03:37 PM
    Well if you're worried about getting a worse phone what you could do is back up your phone and then do a wipe using JL cmdr and then reload the OS
    07-31-09 03:43 PM
    so i think i've determined that my tour doesn't have a bum trackball. the battery door was a bit loose but some foam tape took care of that. the only issue i have now is the OS. occasionally it will "hang up" for 10-20 seconds (or more if i'm unlucky) at random. sometimes when i take it out of the case, sometimes coming out of standby, or sometimes when i'm checking email or doing something else online. i've heard the OS is a bit buggy but i don't know if this is a bug or an indication of a bigger problem. i also just put a Zagg invisibleShield on it which is why i'm apprehensive to swap (those things are a PITA to take off!).

so, should i suck it up and exchange it or are these random hang-ups just par for the tour? any advice would be appreciated (unless it's overy sarcastic .
    That one is a tough call. Mine will hang up on occasion, but not to long. Definitely hangs up if I am receiving and email at the same time as browsing or opening a program. Other than that, it is taking a little while to send emails and texts after hitting send. I believe most of this will be solved with an update since the phone itself is plenty powerful enough.
    As for exchanging yours out, it really depends if you are seeing it worse than what I mentioned. If it generally is fine, then I would personally just deal with it. Of course you could back up and reinstall if you like.
    07-31-09 04:28 PM
    I would say don't replace it. My phone freezes every now and then but this can be fixed. The software will be updated no doubt about that. You could get unlucky and get a replacement with faulty hardware and you will be screwed. The phone hasn't even been out a month just give it some time the software will get better and better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 04:35 PM
    Mine is the exact same way, I've been tempted to call Verizon and ask for a new one, especially when I read posts from people who say that their Tour runs flawlessly.

However, I keep telling myself that either an OS update (or the new OS 5.0) will be out shortly and will fix these software bugs. (I hope :-/)
    07-31-09 08:16 PM
    The choice is still yours.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 09:19 PM

After swapping my phone and getting an absolutely flawless one I say swap it. These are expensive devices and it is ludicrous for anyone to just deal with issues and defects. The Revision "A" phones prove that RIM has identified issues. Why revise the phone if it is fine the way it is? No way I pay top dollar for a smartphone and the required add on services (Between my BB, my wife's BB and my data line my VZW bill is a car payment every month!) and deal with a phone that does not meet my expectations 100%.
    07-31-09 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD