/rant on/

Does Verizon and RIM test this stuff before they put it out? I work in the IT field, and if we put out stuff like this, with so many incremental things broken we'd be out of business.

/rant off/

1) I have zero text messages (I deleted them all) and the main display still shows that I have 10. It just started doing this after I pulled the battery last night (my weekly battery pull). How to clear it?

2) I frequently am unable to select a text message to read it. I depress the trackball like normal, and randomly(?) the blackberry refuses to acknowledge it by bringing up the message (i.e. if I wanted to read the whole thing and respond to it).

3) Another thing: This only happens (so far as I know) with one of my contacts, but when I try to create a new SMS text message and add an addressee, then click ok, instead of popping up a new window to type my new text message in, it goes back to the list of text messages and it won't let me text him. I guess I could try and delete the contact and recreate it, but that seems silly.

4) The main bug I was having with V4 did not get fixed and is still happening (when I'm typing anything...email....SMS...whatever), randomly the cursor moves around to different parts of the screen and if i'm not watching the cursor, my typing starts occuring there, rather than where it should be. When this happens, i have to erase whatever was misplaced and then use the track ball to get the cursor back to where it should be (at the end of the sentence I'm working on, for example) and then resume typing. Some times the cursor randomly moves up to the TO: or CC: and they my typing is interrpreted as trying to add another addressee....frustrating.

5) Web browser. What a wonderful "new" bug. Whenever I move the arrow over a link and it changes to the 'index finger' (indicating an embedded link that can be clicked), half the time when I depress the track ball, nothing happens. So then, I have to slowly move the trackball to get the mouse pointer to move a tiny bit (basically, a pixel), it changes back to the mouse pointer, and then i move it a pixel again and it changes back to the index finger and then, some times, the link will be taken. Other times, I have to move it slightly (another pixel) again and repeat until it finally recognizes that I'm over a legitimate link I can take. How in the **** did they break this?

Very frustrated....anyone have any help or clues with any of these? I just upgraded to .591 a week ago. My unit, after four replacements due to trackball problems, is several months old. It is not customized at all (other than I get work email via BES). I am running no apps, nothing downloaded, so it's about as vanilla as you could get....email, SMS and internet only.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff
    06-09-10 11:03 AM
    #5 is the infamous "browser click" issue.

I have heard, but not experienced first hand, that 591 is loaded with bugs. Try out 5.0.0.643. I haven't had any issues.
    06-09-10 11:20 AM
    Well, you have discovered just some of the issues (some might call them bugs!!!) with the Verizon OS 5 release.

5. is affectionately known at the Browser click issue.

4. Now that might be your typing technique - it happens to some of us when we try using the T or Y keys and accidently nudge the trackball which then moves the cursor location.

I don't do sms so can't address those issues.

Another issue you may discover is that if you receive an mms with audio, that sound may play at odd/random times like when terminating a call, or doing someother thing. A battery pull fixes it until the next mms comes.

The fix - try an os from another carrier or a leaked os or a hybrid os. .591 is as your rant noted, a problem.
    06-09-10 11:23 AM
    i just checked on my bb to see if another "official" os release from VZW available yet, and as we know, still nothing. I was hoping to avoid going down the unofficial release path
    06-09-10 11:26 AM
    .591 seemed incredibly shoddy for the official OS from Verizon. I noticed most of the problems you had. There were so many unofficial "leaked" OS versions, and it is incomprehensible why that specific one was chosen. I solved most of the issues by upgrading to one of those leaked beta versions (.662). As plkcable mentioned, I think .643 also should do the trick. I am not sure if those files are still available on the net; I hope so.

If you don't want to bother with that, one thing I heard that seemed to have worked was to click the top of the link. In other words, when you hover over a link, try to click the link text at the top of the letters. No idea whether it actually does anything, or if it just seemed like that.
    06-09-10 11:27 AM
    643 is still available. I just got my Tour last week and immediately wiped 591 off.
    06-09-10 11:44 AM
    where do you recommend getting 643 from?
    06-09-10 12:02 PM
    I was hoping to avoid going down the unofficial release path
    Why? That is where you can get the OS's that actually work like their supposed to. Official .591 sucks, period. Any other official or leaked OS will be a 500% improvement over what you have!! Read the hybrid forums to get the scoop on which leaked OS people on Verizon like best, then install it.
    06-09-10 12:36 PM
    ok thanks - I had the mistaken impression that the unofficial ones were more for those users that were heavily modifying/customizing their BB's...apparently not

I'll check into it - thanks.

Jeff
    06-09-10 12:57 PM
    I think there is a 643 thread here on CB. I would recommend it as it is very stable. The only reason I had to do a reboot was because I installed a new theme.
    06-09-10 02:50 PM
    I agree, .643 is the way to go. I've been very happy with it on my VZW Tour.

Here are the steps I recommend taking to upgrade/downgrade your BB's OS using a PC. (If you have a Mac, you're on your own unfortunately as I've not used them).

Open desktop manager and make a backup of your bb (this won't back up your 3rd party apps, use BBSAK for that, plug that into the forum search if you're not familiar with it). Close Desktop Manager when you're done making your backups as you won't need it again until later.

Now you can go to add/remove programs and uninstall any BB OS's that may have been previously installed on the computer. (If you haven't ever installed a BB OS using this computer, this is unnecessary.) Download and install the OS you have chosen to use (the file you are downloading is an executable installer file which you must run after downloading it to install it on your PC).

After making sure you have made your backups as mentioned above, you are now ready to use jl_cmder or BBSAK to wipe your device. When the device has been wiped, you will see a white screen with a 507 reload software error. Do not panic, as this is what is supposed to happen.

Navigate to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader and delete "vendor.xml" if the file you downloaded is for a different carrier than the one you're on. Now that you have deleted "vendor.xml" you can run "loader.exe" from that same folder, which will proceed to load the OS you have chosen onto your BB device.

When the apploader is finished, your new OS should be loaded. You can now restore the data/apps you backed up earlier using DM and BBSAK respectively.

Enjoy your new OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-10 05:49 PM
    link to dl .643

link to .662

both are Verizon so you wont have to delete any vendor files. I use .643 and I have found no bugs worth crying about. best of luck to you.
    06-09-10 06:40 PM
    I've been having this problem since I updated to .591. Right now, I discovered that if I trackball-click on the thin blue line on the Messages "window", it opens up my otherwise-unreadable sms. Crazy!!

06-09-10 08:59 PM
    I agree on the .643! Its the best OS build I've ever run on any of my BBs. Get away from that horrid .591 and as fast as you can!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-09-10 11:30 PM
    I agree with everyone else .643 is very very stable. I ran it on my Tour and had absolutely no problems.
    06-09-10 11:40 PM
    link to dl .643

link to .662

both are Verizon so you wont have to delete any vendor files. I use .643 and I have found no bugs worth crying about. best of luck to you.
    These aren't Verizon releases; they're leaks. Using BBSAK you don't have to worry about deleting the vendor file, it's done for you.

http://crackberry.com/leaked-os-5-0-...erry-tour-9630

http://crackberry.com/leaked-os-5-0-...erry-tour-9630
    Last edited by plkcable; 06-10-10 at 07:28 AM. Reason: links
    06-10-10 07:27 AM
    @Jeff1958

I was also not too thrilled about heading down the unofficial OS road, but my wife's tour was a nightmare with .591. I went with the Sprint .624 as others here have recommended and it is a whole lot better. Very few problems, smooth and stable. Once in a while something weird happens, maybe once every week or two, requiring a battery pull. Good advice on here and support if things go wrong. With a little practice it's no big deal to reload these things, and it has led me into hybrids on my storm. Good luck!
    Last edited by freightdog; 06-10-10 at 08:28 AM. Reason: stated incorrect OS
    06-10-10 08:19 AM
    @Jeff1958

I was also not too thrilled about heading down the unofficial OS road, but my wife's tour was a nightmare with .591. I went with the Sprint .643 as others here have recommended and it is a whole lot better. Very few problems, smooth and stable. Once in a while something weird happens, maybe once every week or two, requiring a battery pull. Good advice on here and support if things go wrong. With a little practice it's no big deal to reload these things, and it has led me into hybrids on my storm. Good luck!
    Just to clarify, you installed Sprint's .624, correct?
    06-10-10 08:23 AM
    Just to clarify, you installed Sprint's .624, correct?
    Oops, yes that's correct. Too many numbers swimming around my head this morning.
    06-10-10 08:28 AM
    Oops, yes that's correct. Too many numbers swimming around my head this morning.
    No major issues with 624? I haven't heard anything on that one, but then again I didn't read the findings and fixes thread, assuming one exists.
    Last edited by plkcable; 06-10-10 at 10:08 AM.
    06-10-10 10:06 AM
    .624 still has browser issue.
    06-10-10 10:19 AM
    .624 still has browser issue.
    In that case, I'll stick with 643.
    06-10-10 10:29 AM
    Let me know if you have seen a big drop in memory after a few days... May just be mine....
    06-10-10 10:50 AM
    Let me know if you have seen a big drop in memory after a few days... May just be mine....
    06-10-10 10:50 AM
    I'm wiping and reloading 643 today. I'll put meterberry on it and let you know what the memory does.
    06-10-10 11:01 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD