Hello there -

I am currently using the 8830 world phone and will be upgrading to the 9630 in a couple weeks. Does anyone have any experience with this phone's world capability specifically in China (Shanghai). Is it smarter to just use a local pay as you go service or keep with my 9630? Using my verizon phone number is important but not critical depending on how well it may work.

thanks
    01-13-10 04:30 PM
    9630 in China is great under verizon. I was able to roam all over China (Beijing, Tianjin, GZ, SZ, Shanghai, and Hong Kong) using my unlimited data plan. Depending on the coverage, you might get 3G-UMTS, EDGE, GPRS or 1xRTT. Local SIM card doesnt work because your BB IMEI is not registered on the local network. So you might be able to talk on voice but definitely not for the data part even if you have a data capable SIM.
    01-13-10 05:57 PM
    by using local SIM card you can also get a local data plan, thought that data plan does not have BIS functionality. 9630, with China mobile SIM, can work on Edge; with Unicom SIM, you can get 3G data plan(UMTS),though the plan cost higher and need to subsribe to a monthly data plan.

Using verison phone number you can roam on China Telecom, they have EV-DO network but I do not have any idea how much the data roam plan cost you. China Telecom also provide UIM card(for CDMA phone,like a SIM for GSM), so 9630 can not use local CDMA UIM card. According to news, China Telecom will provide 9630 in China with BIS service sometime in 1Q.
    01-13-10 09:10 PM
    This is great info thank you - so essentially I can take my 9630 and keep the same number all while using other networks in Shanghai - but I will just have to pay roaming fees. This seems like a viable choice. Will I have to contact Verizon first or not?
    01-13-10 10:26 PM
    Just got back from China literally 2 hours ago...
    If you don't need data just get a local SIM card, dirt cheap. I did not try the local SIM w/data cards, do not know how/if those would work.
    If you need data (especially BIS/BES) contact Verizon and get the Global plan, it is a pro-rated $50/month (or somewhere around there) plan, just tell them the start date and end date and they will charge you accordingly. Roaming coverage is amazing, at least for me it was in Beijing and Tianjin.
    I *think* straight-off-your-plan roaming data charges are extremely expensive, so act accordingly Good luck and have fun.
    01-14-10 12:53 AM
    I am leaving for China on Feb 7th to spend 2 weeks with my wife. I plan on taking my 9630 with me and have ordered a cheap local SIM card for just voice. I dont need a the data plan while I am there and the voice is just in case I get separated from my wife. I ve been to Hong Kong before and it worked great no problems.
    01-14-10 06:27 AM
    I've found that using the Verizon plan (unlimited Global data) for a period of time is not only convenient (it just plain works), but it can oftentimes be cheaper than local plans (especially if you dial the USA, it won't matter if you use Verizon or China Unicom). The best part is that if someone needs to reach you, your USA phone number will ring your Tour worldwide.
    01-14-10 01:16 PM
    You can always just say
    您能现在听见我?
    (can you hear me now?)
    01-14-10 01:44 PM
    Using the Verizon global plan is very convenient, but it is also more expensive (a simple talk only local SIM card is MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper, especially in china)
    It really just depends on your needs, cater accordingly! If you can't get your phone unlocked for one reason or another, getting a cheap GSM phone to use a local SIM might even be cheaper than getting the global plan. All depends on usage, and time spent abroad, and how much of a penny pincher you are.
    01-14-10 02:14 PM
    Personally Im going to be a in a higher usage situation for about 5-6months. The financial side of it isnt greatly important so I think Ill stay with the Verison global plan. Thanks for all of the great info everyone
    01-14-10 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD