My 8100's 2 year contract finally ran out last month and I went to "month to month" status. Very tired of my Pearl, I went to the ATT store to try something new, and walked out with an iPhone 3G. 3 weeks later.. I without a doubt can't wait to go back to a BB. I'll be returning the iPhone within a week or so - and have to decide if I want the 8900 on ATT.. or if I should jump ship to Verizon for the Tour.

From the specs side, the biggest debate appears to be whether I want 3G (tour) or wifi (8900). Otherwise the hardware seems very similar. Yeah everyone claims to not compare the two phones, but to compare the carriers. VZW and ATT are both pretty solid in New England, so carrier isn't too important to me.

I read that the 8900 has some pretty fast 'enhanced' EDGE access, and I know that VZW is crazy fast (girlfriend has a 8330).. so I'm pretty torn. Any thoughts?
    07-06-09 02:08 PM
    hey if carrier is not a big issue then i know for a fact atleast you will get your rebate back faster with verizon than that of att
    07-06-09 02:11 PM
    Well depends if your service is good there I'm not sure its worth it.. You'll probably be paying the same price monthly for a plan but won't get your rollover mins like you did with att
    07-06-09 02:19 PM
    well I see an obvious answer here.

carrier speeds/service are rather equal for you so the issues boil down to:

8900 keyboard versus Tour keyboard
    wifi 8900 versus no wifi Tour
    enhanced edge versus rev. a 3g

and lastly but probably most important.. total cost!

I'd probably jump on the gf's carrier to save costs because you can call each other for free any time and keep a smaller minutes package.. your decision is easy unless wifi is a deal breaker.
    07-06-09 02:27 PM

I'd probably jump on the gf's carrier to save costs because you can call each other for free any time and keep a smaller minutes package.. your decision is easy unless wifi is a deal breaker.
    Don't do it! She's going to trick you into switching her phones!
    07-06-09 02:39 PM
    If you don't mind AT&T then I would get the Bold. I love that phone. Why would you pick the 8900 over the Bold anyway?
    07-06-09 04:16 PM
    If you don't mind AT&T then I would get the Bold. I love that phone. Why would you pick the 8900 over the Bold anyway?
    I agree. With the Bold you get Wifi and 3G, along with an excellent keyboard. If for whatever reason you do not want to consider a Bold, I think you would still be happy either way, Curve 8900 or Tour.
    07-06-09 04:36 PM
    Form factor, battery life, not everyone needs 3G....
    07-06-09 04:56 PM
    How often are you in locations with out good cell service (Schools, Subways, work)

If you are often in places with out good cell coverage, then you want Wifi, if you always have good Cell coverage, then Wifi doesn't matter.

You need to play with the Bold keyboard, and the curve keyboard see which you like more as the Tour is More bold like.

Check the Total Cost of Ownership of each company's phones

What plans are available and who you know on each network, if you are in the position to move from company to company with out paying any exit fees this is the opportunity to examine the difference in costs between service packages,
    07-06-09 05:18 PM
    Yeah I would say if you get better Verizon service there then go for the tour because verizon service for me has been better than att. The tour I hear is a awesome phone as well. Go with who you fell better with
    07-06-09 05:24 PM
    one vote here for 8900 on T-Mobile.

UMA is a great feature (that AT&T disabled)...
    07-06-09 06:03 PM
    Thanks for the reply, guys.

The bold is a bit too large for my tastes - but it does have a very nice keyboard. Checking TCO is a good idea.
    07-07-09 12:44 PM
    With the latest Bold OS (.282), even AT&T customers can turn 3G off and save on battery life. So isn't the battery life aspect of the Curve vs. Bold debate dead?
    07-07-09 12:57 PM
    Thanks for the reply, guys.

The bold is a bit too large for my tastes - but it does have a very nice keyboard. Checking TCO is a good idea.

I spend many hours a week talking about TCO with customers.

Plus the practice of actually looking into BOTH companies, rate plans and knowing what is offered and at what costs will give you the tools to better negotiate with whom ever you end up with to again reduce the TCO further.

I am with a CDMA carrier and after going over the apposing GSM carriers paper work, I spoke with my CDMA carrier about the difference in cost between the 2 plans, totalling what the cost for me to LEAVE them and get out of my contract and then going to the competitor and buying into a contract with them getting the device,

I was able to retain the carrier of choice, and bring down my TCO because of eductation, I pitted the fact that the Monthly bill would have been 5 dollars more with the same Plan, but that the phone came with Wifi so I would need less of a data plan. when all things balanced out, I got the phone I wanted, and a better plan

Be educated, be polite, and have the information in front of you while on the phone.

>> PS I am getting a tour NOT the bold
    07-07-09 01:02 PM
    With the latest Bold OS (.282), even AT&T customers can turn 3G off and save on battery life. So isn't the battery life aspect of the Curve vs. Bold debate dead?
    Different processors have different battery consumption, and i believe the Bold's processor needs more power than the Curve's.
    07-07-09 01:12 PM
    it does look like I could save a few bucks going with VZW - despite the Tour being $100 more than the 8900 at initial purchase. VZW seems to have a better "upgrade" policy too.
    07-07-09 02:47 PM
    At the risk of setting vz folks into an epileptic rage, I would also suggest you look at sprint... if vz will save a few bucks, sprint will save a lot, and your navigation will work also....
    07-07-09 02:52 PM
    My 8100's 2 year contract finally ran out last month and I went to "month to month" status. Very tired of my Pearl, I went to the ATT store to try something new, and walked out with an iPhone 3G. 3 weeks later.. I without a doubt can't wait to go back to a BB. I'll be returning the iPhone within a week or so - and have to decide if I want the 8900 on ATT.. or if I should jump ship to Verizon for the Tour.

From the specs side, the biggest debate appears to be whether I want 3G (tour) or wifi (8900). Otherwise the hardware seems very similar. Yeah everyone claims to not compare the two phones, but to compare the carriers. VZW and ATT are both pretty solid in New England, so carrier isn't too important to me.

I read that the 8900 has some pretty fast 'enhanced' EDGE access, and I know that VZW is crazy fast (girlfriend has a 8330).. so I'm pretty torn. Any thoughts?
    I would stay with AT&T if I were you. There are some great GSM devices coming soon. Moreso than CDMA ones.
    07-07-09 03:00 PM
    At the risk of setting vz folks into an epileptic rage, I would also suggest you look at sprint... if vz will save a few bucks, sprint will save a lot, and your navigation will work also....
    Nav doesn't *not* work on Verizon, you just have to pay for turn-by-turn. Sprint's turn-by-turn is free, but BB maps, google maps, poynt, etc will all work for free on Verizon.

And it'll depend. Not too many people say "VZW will save me money" because the features are cheaper (they aren't), they say it because they have a lot of contacts that use VZW and can therefore call them for free and buy less minutes, etc.

Also CX's comment is very true... if you have the patience to wait for that Onyx... it'd be worth it
    07-07-09 03:13 PM
    I would stay with AT&T if I were you. There are some great GSM devices coming soon. Moreso than CDMA ones.

Wait what about the storm 2 ...Yeah GSM always gets the MUCH better phones....If AT&T could just get their cell service equal to VZW then i think VZW would be in big trouble...I know AT&T is improving coverage everyday so "the network" comments soon will fade...we'll see...
    07-07-09 03:17 PM
    How is this a question? The Tour is a superior phone on a superior network.
    07-07-09 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD