If you have never ran the .419 from MTS and you are reading this please exit out of this post now.

Okay its been a couple of days now since the drop from VZW of .591 What i want to know is are their any significant changes from .419? I already know about the PTT so lets not even bring that up. What im looking for specifically is battery life, speed of os, and how the OS integrates with other apps and plug ins. Please do not just tell me " yeah its way better". Tell me HOW it is better than .419 ie... battery life is better, or OS is faster things like that, not just that its better. Thanks to all in advance.
    03-31-10 08:21 AM
    I've ran .419 for a long time ever since it was leaked out. It was okay, I've had random reboots that drove me nuts with .419 .591 is very stable for me with no reboot issues like .419 had with me and the memory has not dropped as much as .419 was. I've also had a hard time looking through my pictures on the phone off the media card on .419 as it was very slow to flick through pictures. .591 does it lightning fast.

I have no complaints about .591 as I find the radio is stronger on .591 also I wouldnt ever think to downgrade back to .419
    03-31-10 08:25 AM
    Thank you for your input. How about battery life on .591? I didn't have any of those problems with .419 but i know it can be diff for each user.
    03-31-10 08:28 AM
    Thank you for your input. How about battery life on .591? I didn't have any of those problems with .419 but i know it can be diff for each user.
    its hard for me to comment on the battery life since I dont run it with the original battery. I have a 2600 battery so I never notice any builds that are better or worse since I still get 3 days out of this battery on any OS I run.

maybe someone can comment on how the battery life is with someone who runs the phone on the stock battery...
    03-31-10 08:30 AM
    awesome thank you. This is the exact kind of info i was looking for. May be i should look in to getting an extended battery also.
    03-31-10 08:34 AM
    I haven't used .591, but I know for sure .419 is the most rock solid Tour OS there is. I've never had one issue with it. It just does the job. I'm not willing to sacrifice this stability unless Verizon comes out with something as perfect as .419.
    03-31-10 08:49 AM
    Compared to .419, .591 has a faster browser (but does seem to have the browser click problem), boots up slower, doesn't have the black screen issue when coming out of standby, has the new lock/standby feature and tends to leak more memory (10mb+ after a day). Battery life isabout equal, though it seems to consume a little less on standby (2-3%) per hour than .419 (3-4%) according to what I've seen with Meterberry.
    03-31-10 09:21 AM
    I had .591 for 1 day, switched back to .419.

My battery would last 2 days on 4.7, compared to one day on .591. 419 is in between.

Both 5's have one more bar of tower, I had a map issue with .591 and one random restart.

Seemed like my bluetooth was louder on 4.7
    03-31-10 09:24 AM
    I've been running .591 since last night and for the most part everything is running smoothly. Initial reboot time was ridiculous (15+ minutes), but it has since come down to a more reasonable 7-8. Still slow IMO. Browser click issue is there, but it doesn't really bother me that much because a) I just use the enter key, and b) I rarely use the browser. Battery life is bad as usual (I've had horrible battery life with every 5.0 OS, so take that as you will). Definitely have a strong signal. Overall I would say it's worth upgrading to, but I personally will be waiting for a nice hybrid to be released.
    03-31-10 09:27 AM
    For me, .591 seems to be working better, faster browser (no click issues), slightly faster boot times, no more or less memory leak and it is too early to say about battery life. I find battery life generally improves each day after a few charges with every OS version. Memory leaks and battery life vary per an individual's use, apps, themes and settings. We have a half a dozen Tours here and one guy cannot go a day without a charge, but he is a very heavy user, lots of apps, txts, bbms, always changing themes and settings, tweaking this and that, etc. while I can go 2-3 days easy without charging sometimes with more moderate use no matter which OS, 4.7x, .419, .484, .530, .571 and now .591.
    03-31-10 09:38 AM
    I have an issue I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. Everyone in my office comes to me to update their software. I work on a Enterprise Server. Up until recently, I could not do any sort of synchronization through Desktop Manager. I upgraded to the 5.0 version and when I hooked up a co-workers Tour to do the upgrade, it took over my PIN. Is there anyway to get my PIN off of his Tour?
    03-31-10 09:42 AM
    I have an issue I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. Everyone in my office comes to me to update their software. I work on a Enterprise Server. Up until recently, I could not do any sort of synchronization through Desktop Manager. I upgraded to the 5.0 version and when I hooked up a co-workers Tour to do the upgrade, it took over my PIN. Is there anyway to get my PIN off of his Tour?

you may want to start a thread asking this question. ...doesn't really pertain to this one. You may get more feedback if you make it a dedicated thread.
    03-31-10 09:57 AM
    Compared to .419, .591 has a faster browser (but does seem to have the browser click problem), boots up slower, doesn't have the black screen issue when coming out of standby, has the new lock/standby feature and tends to leak more memory (10mb+ after a day). Battery life isabout equal, though it seems to consume a little less on standby (2-3%) per hour than .419 (3-4%) according to what I've seen with Meterberry.

I agree that .419 has been real stable for me. Only thing i have is the black screen coming out of stand bye which is definitely not a show stopper.

i have never been able to go much more than a day on my battery. And the worst part about it is while i am at work the phone stays in my truck because i can't bring it in. So it sits there for 7+ hours with me not doing anything on it. I just plug it up every night when i go to bed.
    03-31-10 10:00 AM
    I think you might mean that DM changed the PIN in your program. I do not think it is possible to change the PIN on the device. What happens when you connect your BB to DM now? If you connected his BB to your DM, it is possible that DM tried to transfer your info to his PIN device, in other words to his phone, but not transfer you PIN to his phone. Try a search on this subject and I am sure that you will find someone has encountered this or something similar. Good luck!
    03-31-10 10:06 AM
    I'm torn between .419 hybrids and .519 (and hybrids for it as well).

With .519 I love how fast it is. Its instant. Browser is faster, pics fly when viewing and camera seems much faster...so I love those parts.

What I don't like at all is...
    1. Battery life is the worse ever for me. Loaded it twice and changed to a .519 hybrid. Each use ridiculous amounts of life from my batter. Whenever I do a battery pull, it zaps 15% of my battery life! If I make a call, 10% is gone. In normal mode and use it uses about 3% per hour.

2. Memory Leak sucks as well. Im doing at least one battery pull a day., On average it leaks 11 meg +. So then I do a battery pull and lose battery life by doing it...im not digging this.

Functionally, I love it. But not sure if battery life and memory leak will make this a keeper for me at all. Might go back to .419 hybrid where i had zero leak, and my battery lasted forever. Im tired of pulling the battery (where i used to pull it maybe once a week), and of charging it everytime I get the chance.

Just my 2cents.
    03-31-10 10:10 AM
    I'm torn between .419 hybrids and .519 (and hybrids for it as well).

With .519 I love how fast it is. Its instant. Browser is faster, pics fly when viewing and camera seems much faster...so I love those parts.

What I don't like at all is...
    1. Battery life is the worse ever for me. Loaded it twice and changed to a .519 hybrid. Each use ridiculous amounts of life from my batter. Whenever I do a battery pull, it zaps 15% of my battery life! If I make a call, 10% is gone. In normal mode and use it uses about 3% per hour.

2. Memory Leak sucks as well. Im doing at least one battery pull a day., On average it leaks 11 meg +. So then I do a battery pull and lose battery life by doing it...im not digging this.

Functionally, I love it. But not sure if battery life and memory leak will make this a keeper for me at all. Might go back to .419 hybrid where i had zero leak, and my battery lasted forever. Im tired of pulling the battery (where i used to pull it maybe once a week), and of charging it everytime I get the chance.

Just my 2cents.
    thank you for that. Battery life for me is the biggest issue. It will be real hard to sacrifice that for even a little snappier OS. I have never tried a hybrid but i think that will be my next step if i decide to move from the MTS .419. Your not the only one i've read about having battery life issues. So that does seem to be a pretty common issue with this build.
    03-31-10 10:17 AM
    I just realized that I've been getting the black screen when coming out of standby on .419 too! How different is the new Lock mode on .519 from .419's standby mode (like which keys activate the screen)
    03-31-10 10:23 AM
    I just realized that I've been getting the black screen when coming out of standby on .419 too! How different is the new Lock mode on .519 from .419's standby mode (like which keys activate the screen)
    To put it in lock mode...
    Hold the A key down or hit lock button on top]

To unlock ,the only way is to hit the lock button on top again.
    03-31-10 10:44 AM
    Very timely thread. I have been on .419 since MTS released it. It has been a rock. Battery life is 2 days (assuming I shut off GPS apps and BT when not in use). I do have the browser request delay, but its only a second or two. No black screen coming out of standby. Overall a very good build for me.

I tried .484 and it sucked. Battery was worse, every reboot left all my apps 'open' and I had to close each one before I could get to the home screen.

I've been very hesitant on moving away from .419 until something significantly better comes alone.
    Last edited by JonB74; 03-31-10 at 12:28 PM. Reason: sppeeling adn gramer
    03-31-10 10:55 AM
    i have about come to that conclusion as well.
    03-31-10 11:31 AM
    Very timely thread. I have been on .419 since MTS released it. It has been a rock.
    I have been running .419 since it was released and am convinced it is a much better and more stable build than .591. The browser click issue is a big deal--the BB browser isn't fast enough to tolerate having to click a link 3-4 times. I used I know this is a BB thing, but I like having a dedicated keyboard lock key. The lock button on top of the phone feels weak. I am not impressed with .591 at all.
    03-31-10 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD