I have had my Tour for less than a week and have never had a portable device with 3G speeds so I have nothing to compare it with, though I have to say that I am not impressed. The browser is sending me some websites that are stripped down mobile versions of the full sites and it seems to take a lot longer to load than I would have hoped.

1. Is there a way to check the actual speed of my 3G connection so I can talk to someone at VZW about this?

2. What speeds should I be getting?

Thanks!!!!
    07-28-09 02:59 PM
    Navigate to the following link using your BB browser to install Xtream Labs Speedtest app.

http://www.xtremelabs.com/assets/mob.../speedtest.jad

That should let you test your speeds.

One reason it feels as if the BB is slow is because all data is routed though RIM's proxy servers.

If you truly want to see what speeds your BB is capable of, you'll have to tether it to a laptop and use Verizon's Network manager app. Then you'll be connected to the internet without RIM's servers in the middle.
    07-28-09 03:26 PM
    07-28-09 03:30 PM
    Technically unless your over seas ( according to the quickstart manual) you would not get 3G only 1XEV.
    07-28-09 03:34 PM
    Part of it may be your coverage area. 1XEV IS 3G. Check to make sure you're getting 1XEV cuz I know MY tour pulls up sites faster than my DSL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 03:39 PM
    Part of it may be your coverage area. 1XEV IS 3G. Check to make sure you're getting 1XEV cuz I know MY tour pulls up sites faster than my DSL

Sounds like a good reason to gripe at your DSL provider
    07-28-09 03:52 PM
    Chinese food IS American food you dum... oops, wrong debate...

At any rate, verizon is 3g, 1XEV is 3g. Alot of people think 3g is something you have to have a sim card for. 3g is NOT a gsm only technology. it is simply a term used to describe a device that can transfer data at a specified rate.

depending on your area, the fastest carrier may differ. but its 3g.

If you think its slow, go try the curve on any gsm carrier.
    07-28-09 03:54 PM
    Why is is data routed through RIM's proxy services?

Navigate to the following link using your BB browser to install Xtream Labs Speedtest app.

http://www.xtremelabs.com/assets/mob.../speedtest.jad

That should let you test your speeds.

One reason it feels as if the BB is slow is because all data is routed though RIM's proxy servers.

If you truly want to see what speeds your BB is capable of, you'll have to tether it to a laptop and use Verizon's Network manager app. Then you'll be connected to the internet without RIM's servers in the middle.
    07-28-09 05:37 PM
    Technically unless your over seas ( according to the quickstart manual) you would not get 3G only 1XEV.
    Headdesk. Just becasie you don't see the pretty 3G icon you see on the bold doesn't mean you're not getting 3G service/speed. EV-DO (Rev.0/A) is CDMA 3G

07-28-09 05:44 PM
    Try using Opera Mini browser.
    It's Balls Fast!!
    07-28-09 06:08 PM
    3G = 3rd generation.

that is all.

edit: to clarify. analog = 1st gen. digital = 2nd gen. EVDO Rev. 0 and Rev. A = 3rd gen or 3G

LTE = 4G when it rolls out starting mid 2010
    07-28-09 06:53 PM
    Well its also not just 3G, but the processor of the phone (I think). I know that the difference between the iPhone 3G and 3GS is night and day when it comes to speed. The 3GS is unbelievably fast.
    07-28-09 07:20 PM
    opera mini is your very fast friend
    07-28-09 07:35 PM
    EDGE, GPRS, 1X are all 2G technology. 1XEV, EVDO 0, EVDO A, UMTS, HSDPA, HSPA are all 3G technologies. Technically some people consider EDGE to be 3G and some people consider EVDO to be 2G but the above are the correct generations of networks.
    07-29-09 12:53 AM
    Speed Test doesn't load for me. I get an "outofmemoryerror." Any suggestions?

07-29-09 01:52 AM
    Install Opera Mini. Its the fastest browser for blackberry to date. The blackberry browsers that are already installed are not the greatest browsers available. The only time I use it is when I need to download an app OTA...
    07-29-09 02:26 AM
    Try Bolt or Opera Mini. They're way faster than the default browser.
    07-29-09 02:44 AM
    boy genius actually has an article on this quite recently. check it out. it sheds some light on the situation.
    07-29-09 02:59 AM
    I am going to have to agree with you on the network speed. I used the Xtreme speed labs thing and got a whopping crappy 300 kbits download and 250 kbits upload.... I switched to verizon because I expected it to beat ATT (when its typically at its slowest at 370 kbits) but evidently it cannot. Unfortunate....
    07-29-09 11:40 AM
    Cause you've been blinded by the Big Red marketing BS.
    07-29-09 11:42 AM
    Install Opera Mini. Its the fastest browser for blackberry to date. The blackberry browsers that are already installed are not the greatest browsers available. The only time I use it is when I need to download an app OTA...
    Try Bolt or Opera Mini. They're way faster than the default browser.
    Have either of you even held a Tour, let alone used one?

It is by far the best BB browser to date, I haven't used my Opera Mini since I installed it, and Bolt is garbage.
    07-29-09 11:44 AM
    I am going to have to agree with you on the network speed. I used the Xtreme speed labs thing and got a whopping crappy 300 kbits download and 250 kbits upload.... I switched to verizon because I expected it to beat ATT (when its typically at its slowest at 370 kbits) but evidently it cannot. Unfortunate....
    I got 420KBPS on EDGE the other day lol. I didn't know that speeds that fast on EDGE were possible but the theoretical limit is 473KBPS so I was really getting 420KBPS.
    07-29-09 02:15 PM
    AT&T has a faster 3G network than Verizon.
    07-29-09 02:29 PM
    Well its also not just 3G, but the processor of the phone (I think). I know that the difference between the iPhone 3G and 3GS is night and day when it comes to speed. The 3GS is unbelievably fast.
    actually the 3gs has a radio that is compatible with atts new 7.2 mbps hspda. The iphone 3g does not
    07-29-09 03:24 PM
    Cause you've been blinded by the Big Red marketing BS.
    for the 30 thousandth time, verizon has never said they have the fastest network, they have the most realible...att has always been faster. But the bigger question is, who cares? Unless your downloading movies on your phone. Id rather have realibilty than a little faster network
    07-29-09 03:28 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD