*I'm going to make an assumption (could be wrong) but I think 5.0.0.230 is mainstream enough to post questions about it here and not in the beta forum*

I'm running 5.0.0.230 on my Tour and also live in an area that doesn't have great coverage (a lot of bouncing between 3G and 1X) how do I get the coverage icon to always show in the browser like this?

I have wiped my Tour 3 times and reinstalled .230, been running .230 for about 3 weeks? (since it came out) and done countless battery pulls... no luck any ideas?
    10-07-09 10:52 AM
    Press the U button.
    10-07-09 10:56 AM
    What will pressing the "U" button serve?
    10-07-09 11:20 AM
    Your connection type will only show in the browser if you set your network to "global". If you set it to 1XEV to save battery (as you should), it will assume you know what type of connection you're on, and it won't display in the browser.
    10-07-09 11:23 AM
    What will pressing the "U" button serve?
    Although the OP wasnt very clear on what he was asking, I was assuming he was asking about the title bar at the top of the browser page which shows your signal. The U button in the browser toggles that on and off.
    10-07-09 11:24 AM
    Cool...I learned sumthin new
    10-07-09 11:30 AM
    I know that "U" toggles full screen on and off. It has for as long as I have owned a BB.

I have the banner visible (not full screen) and I want to know when I'm surfing on 3G and when in poking along in 1X. I definitely don't want to switch to Global, that ravages my battery.
    Last edited by tturner23; 10-07-09 at 12:15 PM.
    10-07-09 11:42 AM
    Although the OP wasnt very clear on what he was asking, I was assuming he was asking about the title bar at the top of the browser page which shows your signal. The U button in the browser toggles that on and off.
    it toggles full screen for me, always has on every os i have used.
    10-07-09 11:46 AM
    Your connection type will only show in the browser if you set your network to "global". If you set it to 1XEV to save battery (as you should), it will assume you know what type of connection you're on, and it won't display in the browser.
    Fabolous is absolutely right. I hope in future updates to 5.0 OS they integrate the signal indicator (3G (or 1XEV) or 1X) and the current time into the browser status bar (or all status bars system wide... like the iphone).
    10-07-09 12:14 PM
    Hey guys, I don't have 5.0 on my Tour, but I believe you're talking about 2 (or 3) separate things.

Yes U gets rid of (well toggles on/off) the Browser status banner so you can enjoy the full screen for browsing.

Yes, setting your Tour to 1XEV is the most recommended setting. This is done in Options -> Mobile Network -> Network Technology: 1XEV.
    This is rumored to save battery power.

Here's the 3rd point: from what I have read, OS 5.0 will lose the 1XEV on the Home Screen by the signal strength indicator and switch to the 3G logo.
    Now I don't know if this is all 5.0 leaks to date or not, or whether it shows differently on Home Screen vs Browser banner, but this will be in place by the time the "official" 5.0 is finally released for the 1st time. (based on what I've read!)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 12:56 PM
    Yes, 1XEV is replaced by 3G is 5.0, but it still won't show up in the browser unless you have network technology set to global (as of .238 anyways)

10-07-09 01:09 PM
    I'm using the Pro v3 theme on my Sprint Tour. The Network was always set to Global, yet, I have never seen the 3G icon appear on the top bar.

Am I assuming correctly that some custom themes may not include the 3G icon, hence, it will not show even if the phone is on 3G?

I hate the 1XEV up there on the top bar and really want the 3G icon there.
    10-14-09 01:42 PM
    Everyone thinks setting it to Global instead 1XEV ravages the battery. You guys should test it out as i did. Unless it's just me, but with same usage in one day , i cannot notice any difference with battery life under Global or 1XEV. I could be wrong but i dont think there is that much of a difference.

10-14-09 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD