My friends have Storms which has a 3.5mp camera as well and the pictures they send me are horrible. Is the camera in the Tour the same crappy one in the Storm? If so, I'm not even sure I want to upgrade.

I had my first camera phone (a Sanyo offered by Sprint) almost 7 years ago. Please tell me why camera phone technology can't give me clear photos in 2000 freaking 9!
    07-01-09 10:35 AM
    My friends have Storms which has a 3.5mp camera as well and the pictures they send me are horrible. Is the camera in the Tour the same crappy one in the Storm? If so, I'm not even sure I want to upgrade.

I had my first camera phone (a Sanyo offered by Sprint) almost 7 years ago. Please tell me why camera phone technology can't give me clear photos in 2000 freaking 9!
    the tours camra is a lot faster and gives off a better picture then whats on the storm. the storms camra is a nightmare to use
    07-01-09 10:37 AM
    I thought it was 3.2mp. Am I wrong?
    07-01-09 10:39 AM
    I thought it was 3.2mp. Am I wrong?
    no, it is 3.2
    07-01-09 10:40 AM

Because people buy into the hype that more megapixels = better pictures. So these phone companies put in higher mp sensors, using terrible "lenses" w/ an aperture that doesn't deliver near adequate light.

We'd be better off with a 2mp camera (which produces a huge 1600x1200 picture) and a larger diameter glass lens. But your average consumer doesn't understand that. They like to read about megapixels, because it's easily quantifiable, unlike image quality.
    07-01-09 10:43 AM
    the tours camra is a lot faster and gives off a better picture then whats on the storm. the storms camra is a nightmare to use
    do you firsthand knowledge of this? I didn't mind my storm that much. It didn't replace my 10mp camera with image stabilization, but it did its job.
    07-01-09 10:46 AM

Thats weird, I take amazing pics with the Storm. Of course Im taking plain daylight pics but they turn out extremely clear. The shutter lag does suck though.
    07-01-09 10:47 AM
    The pictures on the storm were awesome after you waited 5 secs to take a picture and didn't move. The autofocus is sweet!! The Tours camera should function waaaaaaaaaay better. It'll be better than the curves for sure.. Maybe you're friends pictures were horrible because the storms camera was horrible to use.
    07-01-09 10:48 AM
    do you firsthand knowledge of this? I didn't mind my storm that much. It didn't replace my 10mp camera with image stabilization, but it did its job.
    we had a guy on here with a Tour already give us a video of him taking a picture with his tour. It is a lot faster and deffenitly has a better picture to it then the storm. Just go on youtube and type in 9630 taking a picture
    07-01-09 10:48 AM
    Until a cell phone camera has a better lens, it does not matter how many megapixels are put in it. Just remember...it's all in the glass!
    07-01-09 10:57 AM
    Supposedly (according to the CB news blog), the Tour takes amazingly nice pics.
    07-01-09 11:01 AM
    I've seen reviews that rave about the camera. But, to me, if I want a nice picture, I use my camera, not my phone. I only view the camera on my phone as a quick, nice-to-have for times when you don't have your real camera (like if you are involved in an accident or something like that). So, I don't really care how well it takes pictures as I know that, at least for now, any picture will be nowhere near what even my point-and-shoot camera can take in terms of quality.
    07-01-09 11:07 AM
    Until a cell phone camera has a better lens, it does not matter how many megapixels are put in it. Just remember...it's all in the glass!
    Haha, a cell phone w/ an SLR lens.

Megapixels do matter, though. Unfortunately, as pixel count goes up, image quality goes down. The more pixels you cram onto the same tiny sensor, the more grainy pictures look and the worse it performs in anything less than bright sunlight.
    07-01-09 11:18 AM
    we had a guy on here with a Tour already give us a video of him taking a picture with his tour. It is a lot faster and deffenitly has a better picture to it then the storm. Just go on youtube and type in 9630 taking a picture
    Sorry, but that picture doesn't look that great at all. The green square focus tool looks helpful, but who cares of the pictures still look almost as horrible as every other camera phone picture taken the last 7 years. It doesn't make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/v/UugP71IPH4A

7 freaking years later and not one phone can take a descent picture?!
    07-01-09 11:57 AM
    I've seen reviews that rave about the camera. But, to me, if I want a nice picture, I use my camera, not my phone. I only view the camera on my phone as a quick, nice-to-have for times when you don't have your real camera (like if you are involved in an accident or something like that). So, I don't really care how well it takes pictures as I know that, at least for now, any picture will be nowhere near what even my point-and-shoot camera can take in terms of quality.
    A camera is really the only improvement this phone has over a model like the 8830. So, yes I actually care that it has a high quality camera that takes sharp pictures.

What else would be the point of paying $500 for this device when it emails/texts and does 95% of everything my 8830 can do.

RIM is getting lazy.
    07-01-09 12:01 PM
    Sorry, but that picture doesn't look that great at all. The green square focus tool looks helpful, but who cares of the pictures still look almost as horrible as every other camera phone picture taken the last 7 years. It doesn't make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/v/UugP71IPH4A

7 freaking years later and not one phone can take a descent picture?!
    that whole video was blurry to even start with. if you noticed he was makign that video with another Tour of his videoing another Tour taking a picture, and then placing it on youtube which doesnt have that great of quality image anyway
    07-01-09 12:05 PM
    that whole video was blurry to even start with. if you noticed he was makign that video with another Tour of his videoing another Tour taking a picture, and then placing it on youtube which doesnt have that great of quality image anyway
    How do you know he was shooting the video with another Tour?
    07-01-09 12:11 PM
    cause he is a member here on CB and told us.

Heck it might even be in the youtube details but I forget.
    07-01-09 12:15 PM
    Haha, a cell phone w/ an SLR lens.

Megapixels do matter, though. Unfortunately, as pixel count goes up, image quality goes down. The more pixels you cram onto the same tiny sensor, the more grainy pictures look and the worse it performs in anything less than bright sunlight.
    I'm not saying an SLR lens, but there has to be some improvement made. There's no way it is that expensive to put a higher quality tiny lens in a phone.

An ad campaign could follow "Say goodbye to your digital camera and hello to the latest BlackBerry with sharpest camera on the market..."
    07-01-09 12:15 PM
    How do you know he was shooting the video with another Tour?
    he told us.. he has got 2 tours... so he took a video of the tour videoing a tour taking a picture lol so everything you see came from the tour
    07-01-09 12:16 PM
    A camera is really the only improvement this phone has over a model like the 8830. So, yes I actually care that it has a high quality camera that takes sharp pictures.

What else would be the point of paying $500 for this device when it emails/texts and does 95% of everything my 8830 can do.

RIM is getting lazy.
    So keep your curve? or get an Samsung Omnia
    Last edited by Tdubby; 07-01-09 at 12:28 PM.
    07-01-09 12:25 PM

RIM is getting lazy.
    I think you need to do a little more research...

The tour is an all around better phone than the 8830.
    its faster
    it has more memory
    it has a better speaker phone
    it has a better keyboard
    it has a better screen
    its as newer software

If your looking for a digital camera then buy a camera, not a phone
    07-01-09 12:27 PM
    I have a 8900, it should be the same camera as the tour(or very close)at 3.2. It is a much better camera than any other blackberry out there and there is a CLEAR difference. My wifes 8120 and my brother in laws Bold does not take anywhere near the picture mine does. I do not have experience with the storms camera but I promise you the 3.2 megapixel camera is awsome. In fact when comparing to a N97 last week the N97 owner was a little bummed when my picture looked as good as his on a computer desktop and he had a 5mp camera on his N97.
    07-01-09 12:31 PM
    I'm not saying an SLR lens, but there has to be some improvement made. There's no way it is that expensive to put a higher quality tiny lens in a phone.

An ad campaign could follow "Say goodbye to your digital camera and hello to the latest BlackBerry with sharpest camera on the market..."
    I know, I was kidding about then SLR lens. You're right, though, and other companies have invested more into the camera, using Carl Zeiss lenses, or a kodak sensor, things like that.

The problem is that there is a low ceiling to phone image quality. It all boils down to the fact that image sensors have to be so small. You can put the best lens in front of it and you still won't be able to take great photos. For most people, though, the current generation of phone cameras are sufficient. They're not making prints with the pictures, just uploading to facebook or whatever.
    07-01-09 12:35 PM

RIM is getting lazy.
    There could be lots of reasons to buy the Tour, but if you need a camera, then buy a camera. Heck, $100 Nikon/Canon camera would probably produce better pictures than the Tour.
    07-01-09 12:48 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD