Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Wi-Fi Hotspot Charges?

Will i get charged by my carrier BELL if I use the wi-fi hot spot option on my blackberry??
    like with internet tethering
    CrackBerry Abuser

If your current plan does NOT include tethering, then YES, you will be charged. Take it from someone who has an unlimited data plan yet gets charged for data used via the WiFi Mobile Hotspot feature.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts

Yes check for tethering in your plan

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Device
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yes you will...i just got a bill with a lovely charge for 17 mins and 31 seconds that I was using it at a hotel that didn't have wi-fi including in the room rate....big mistake resulting in a charge of $115.73 for 14.46...$8/MB crazy....need to find my original contract for my unlimited data plan through a corporate plan and see if it says anything about tethering

*edit this was on a a Torch 9810 but would imagine there isn't really a difference.
    Last edited by scottybonus7; 02-25-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: add phone model
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,682 Global Posts
    PIN
    Feel free to ask me my PIN via PM

I'm sure you will. Not sure what the cost is for Bell, but to use the hotspot with Verizon it is $29.99 a month.
    My goal here is to help out and provide knowledge! Feel free to shoot me a PM

If you like my posts, you should visit the site where I write at gadgetnerdly.com
    If not, you should visit it anyway
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

Before I got on the Family Share Plan with Verizon, I used to use my BB's internet connection when bridged to my PlayBook, when I didn't have wifi access. I was never charged. I refused to pay extra for the hotspot feature when (at the time) I was already $29.99 /month for unlimited data. I saw no reason I could not take advantage of the Bridge feature while using my PlayBook. Now, the hotspot feature is included so its a mute point.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Sir Glaurung the Great

Quote Originally Posted by leehardballer12 View Post
    Before I got on the Family Share Plan with Verizon, I used to use my BB's internet connection when bridged to my PlayBook, when I didn't have wifi access. I was never charged. I refused to pay extra for the hotspot feature when (at the time) I was already $29.99 /month for unlimited data. I saw no reason I could not take advantage of the Bridge feature while using my PlayBook. Now, the hotspot feature is included so its a mute point.
    I'm surprised you aren't charged for for using the"wifi" hotspot. I am granfathered in an unlimited data plan also. When 7.1 came out, I upgraded to it. I never even had a thought to use the hotspot feature, as I was sure Big Red would be charging for it. I always use Bridge. First thing I noticed was the HUGE battery drain it cause immediately. I tried to play with it an find what was causing the drain. NO changes to apps or anything, just upped to 7.1.

I reverted back to the ORIGINAL build on the phone when recieved, and excessive battery drain was gone. Yes, I originally checked to see if the hotspot thingy was not being used/turned on. It wasn't.

On a lark, I checked with Big Red to see if the hotspot feature was included in my Grandfathered unlimited plan, and the answer was a resounding NO. Reason: Others would be using the hotspot off my phone, not the account holder, so charging mo' money. Kind of a "single seat user license" setup.

Still 7.0.xxxx (original build) when received, phone is rock solid.

M 8 cents.........(inflation ya know.....)

C