Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Why RIM?? Why!! UPGRADING

So iv been trying to upgrade my cell to the new 7.1 from my carrier BELL.

Now my beef is that i had to backup manually, and not back up the "social feed" for some reason cause it was causing an error. So after researching no problem i did that.

Then i tried "upgrading" and it frooze when it was doing the backup during its upgrade (during the SMS) messaging. So again i disconected my cell from lap top and did a battery pull.

Tried again this morning to do the back up first just incase i screwed anything up and now got frozen backing up during Slacker.

RIM why can this process not just go smoothly and fluidly. Like really! I have to set aside like 1/2 a day to upgrade my software. Whats wrong with you guys in the IT department. Get these simple stuff resolved with, might be a first step into getting your company's perception on a positive side.

Sorry just need to vent here. Im sure others might have no problem upgrading but really. I waited for an official upgrade from my carrier, thus thinking the upgrade will be a piece of cake.

Ohh ya i still havent upgraded. My device just powered up again now from yet another battery pull. So take 3 and ACTION!!

Cheers,
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 007Storm View Post

Sorry just need to vent here. Im sure others might have no problem upgrading but really. I waited for an official upgrade from my carrier, thus thinking the upgrade will be a piece of cake.

Cheers,
    As you mention many (a lot) have had no issues installing an OS. Most of the time its user error that cause the problems. So you cant' blame RIM when other (most) are not having issues. Hope you get it worked out.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Still tackling this upgrade. During backup it keeps on freezing when its reading the Database: SMS Messages (370 of 933 items) It will not budge!! Been like 20 min now is that normal?

So i tried using my desktop intead of my lap top to do the upgrade and im stuck again here. Shall I unplug again and delete me SMS messages and retry??

ANy help will be great.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I deleted my SMS messages and now its stuck on Slacker radio configurations! Like REALLY!!! Nobody elese these kind of issues at all? Why am i having all of these speed bumps!! lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

Sounds like corrupt database causing Desktop Manager to error out.

May want to do one of the following:

Clear the database(s) that are causing error, then do a full backup. Afterward, after restoring from that backup, selectively restore those databases from an older backup, if you have an older backup.

Or, selectively backup just the databases that do not throw an error. Do not do the automatic backup during the upgrades. After the upgrade, restore your data from the selective backup you made, and restore the other databases from and older backup, if you have one.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    PIN
    Yup I like you too...

So iv been trying to upgrade my cell to the new 7.1 from my carrier BELL.

Now my beef is that i had to backup manually, and not back up the "social feed" for some reason cause it was causing an error. So after researching no problem i did that.

Tried again this morning to do the back up first just incase i screwed anything up and now got frozen backing up during Slacker.

RIM why can this process not just go smoothly and fluidly. Like really! I have to set aside like 1/2 a day to upgrade my software. Whats wrong with you guys in the IT department. Get these simple stuff resolved with, might be a first step into getting your company's perception on a positive side.

Cheers,

I agree 100%. It took me more than 8 hours to upgrade my phone OTA with the new Os .267 release. I really can't blame Telus for this. This is clearly RIM's fault.

The phone just stays stuck during these processes. The same with the back ups. There is no error message displaying or whatever it just stays stuck.

For all of you that didn't have any problems upgrading consider yourself very lucky.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

Yup, millions lucky with the upgrade process (myself included) and a relative few unlucky...... Pretty good odds I'd say. Way to go RIM and the various providers! Hopefully Apple can learn from them, as that's a process I nearly always have problems with!

R...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Hey Pipeotobe when u say 8 hours to upgrade. DO u mean pluggin it in and just leaving it for 8 hours to download, or pluggin unpluggin and figuring things out??

I still stuck on my original version i gave up yesterday. So pissed to be honest.

And Aiharkness How can i know if i have a corrupt data base?? I mean my cell works fine. Except when i went to upgrade. And when u say to clear my Databases that are causing the errors how do i kknow which ones they are?? Except when i upgrade and my cell keeps freezing on something and then i have to unplug and rebbot and start that process all over again !!

Thanks so much,
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pipotobe View Post
    I agree 100%. It took me more than 8 hours to upgrade my phone OTA with the new Os .267 release. I really can't blame Telus for this. This is clearly RIM's fault.

The phone just stays stuck during these processes. The same with the back ups. There is no error message displaying or whatever it just stays stuck.

For all of you that didn't have any problems upgrading consider yourself very lucky.
    Yes, it is clearly not the amount of junk you have on your phone or the network signal slowing it down at all...lol

Maybe don't ota update, only takes 15-20 minutes to backup and update with dtm/apploader, I updated 3 in less than an hour and had zero problems
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Hey Pipeotobe when u say 8 hours to upgrade. DO u mean pluggin it in and just leaving it for 8 hours to download, or pluggin unpluggin and figuring things out??

I still stuck on my original version i gave up yesterday. So pissed to be honest.

And Aiharkness How can i know if i have a corrupt data base?? I mean my cell works fine. Except when i went to upgrade. And when u say to clear my Databases that are causing the errors how do i kknow which ones they are?? Except when i upgrade and my cell keeps freezing on something and then i have to unplug and rebbot and start that process all over again !!

Thanks so much,
    He/she is ota updating, the slow wireless update built into the phone, no plugging or unplugging...its a slow process, uses your carrier signal to download a 260mb file and backup your databases...the finished install takes up a lot more memory too, everyone I've ever met that upgrades this way has had problems

What version of dtm are you using? Have you tried updating or uninstalling and reinstalling dtm? Maybe the problem is not the phone or your databases, maybe its a problem with dtm
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Im Pretty sure its the current one! Cause after failing to do it on my lap top. I downloaded a fresh new one to my PC yesterday. And still giving me nothing but issues. I still havent tried the skipping the backup process when upgrading. Kind of nervous about that. Even though i did back it up already.
    CrackBerry Abuser

... And Aiharkness How can i know if i have a corrupt data base?? I mean my cell works fine. Except when i went to upgrade. And when u say to clear my Databases that are causing the errors how do i kknow which ones they are?? Except when i upgrade and my cell keeps freezing on something and then i have to unplug and rebbot and start that process all over again !!

Thanks so much,
    I said possibly corrupt database because you say Desktop Manager stops or throws an error at certain points (social feeds, SMS). That is what suggests a corrupt database. Those that are causing Desktop Manager to error are the ones under suspicion.

If you use the advanced backup/restore feature in Desktop Manager you will see the individual databases for various things like your PIN data, app data, and various settings. If you choose, you can selectively clear individual databases on the handset (those that are causing Desktop Manager to error). You could also selectively backup certain databases (those containing your personal data that are not causing Desktop Manager to error).

If that (corrupt databases) is the reason Desktop Manager cannot complete a backup, then the above should allow you to complete a backup, minus the databases you cleared. Hopefully you have an extra older backup to recover that.
    - Ira
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Then its most likely something conflicting on your phone...I've never had that problem! Try deleting all messages (sms, mms, email, bbm chats, saved messages etc), call history, missed calls, browser cookies and cache, delete the bb log, run the memory cleaner, and battery pull

Plug it into dtm, and look at which database is before and after the error, I'm assuming searches and text messages based on my database list, and use dtm to delete those databases...or select to not back those up
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

i had the same problem and i got by it by deleting the social feeds app. the upgrade worked after that for me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    PIN
    Yup I like you too...

Thanks so much,

Hi sorry for the delay it's been a busy day
    Well it took me 6 hours to be able to back up the phone. Another 2 hours to update my phone via OTA. Painfull process...

What I was trying to do is to have a back up via Desktop Manager first and then try the OTA upgrade. The back up portion didn't go too well. I had a corrupted 'smart card file' and a corrupted 'social feed file'. It took me a while to figure out how to remove these two things from my back up. It looks easy once you have the solution but troubleshooting this was a real nightmare.

After a certain amount of times DM (destop manager wasn't even recognizing my phone anymore. So it added to my problems. What you need to do is removed the 'corrupted' infos before doing a back up. Afterwards you need to also remove these 'corrupted files' from your phone because the OTA upgrade also does a backup this is why it get stucks at a certain level.

If you need any help, just let me know. I'd be please to do so. (Even if we have to do this step by step).