Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Why not on display at Verizon?

I've been in several V stores and the 9850 is not on display - though they are happy to pull one out and show it. Why aren't these on display - does anyone know?
    (Edit - they were Corporate stores)
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 09-23-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: add note
    ...it all started with those two tin cans & a length of string... . . . [///]--------------[\\\]
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,254 Global Posts

it was on display at the verizon store i stopped into recently.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    PIN
    Be Bold & ask

It was out at my VZW stores too. Used it. Loved it.
    CrackBerry User

I believe that Verizon is distancing itself from BlackBerry very focused on Android then iPhone. Not sure why but it is a shame because in 2008 and before it was one of the few Smart phones they had and even back then they were the slowest to roll out the new devices.

I totally enjoy the new Torch the only gripe I have is the App issue, when I hear of a new app for iPhone/Android I wonder did I make the right choice. The phone works great and having it connected to a BES Xpress makes it awesome. Great communication device able to rent VZ Navigator a day or week at a time comes in handy. Keep in mind that is Verizon disabling GPS unless you use their VZ Navigator.

Verizon has the best network but they are not afraid to make you pay for it any way possible.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by vbuckjr View Post
    Keep in mind that is Verizon disabling GPS unless you use their VZ Navigator.
    What do you mean? My Verizon 9850's GPS works just fine and I don't and never will use VZ Navigator. I just turned it on.
    CrackBerry User

GPS locates on a map, but what are using for turn by turn directions? VZW usually does not allow another app to use the GPS for turn by turn directions.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,254 Global Posts

GPS locates on a map, but what are using for turn by turn directions? VZW usually does not allow another app to use the GPS for turn by turn directions.
    i think they stopped doing that after the 8330 due to customer complaints. verizon is notorious for disabling phone features for their liking. it finally bit them in the *** and they caved. it took class action lawsuits to get that ball rolling (Moto E815 and its disabled bluetooth OBEX)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

The verizon phone I went to had the 9850 on display and on, not like best buy where they have the phone but with a piece of paper showing what the creen might look like. They had the Bionic next to it and I played with both.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,100 Global Posts
    PIN
    ot grigio

Keep in mind that is Verizon disabling GPS unless you use their VZ Navigator.
    You're living about 3 years in the past.
    CrackBerry User

Download Blackberry Traffic for free. It gives turn by turn directions although doesn't voice them. I tested it this morning against my dash-mounted GPS, and it was more accurate in ETA plus is aware of traffic congestion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

The store I went in the other day also did NOT have the 9850 on display. I asked about it and she had it behind the desk, though it was not hooked up and thus, I could not play with the device. She said they didnt get many of them in the store and did not receive one for display.

I don't really see a reason why VZ would "distance" themselves from RIM. it just doesnt make any sense.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by smarkow View Post
    I don't really see a reason why VZ would "distance" themselves from RIM. it just doesnt make any sense.
    Supply and demand. The demand for BB is so low that no one cares. RIM's share of the SmartPhone industry has tumbled. You can't release one phone that's a re-re-release of a previous phone except, now it's version 2.0 and has a shiny new battery door with a semi-new OS per year and expect to survive.

I saw a quote on someone's siggy I liked:

"Research in Motion: We work hard to compete with what the competition did five years ago."
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,488 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINCH ME!!! My Z30 and Playbook are so great I must be dreaming!!!!

Another thing to make sure of is that you're going into a Corporate VZW Store. Most of the Premium/Authorized Retailers don't get the new devices at the same time. For instance Radio Shack sells VZW phones, but when I called two days ago, they said they weren't getting any 9850's in stock. I was pissed, as RS has the 9850 for $99 for new and existing customers. On the Shack's website the sell is listed but in the store they didn't have a single one.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Default Corp stores

My vists were to Corporate stores...Torch was not out but was behind the counter.
    ...it all started with those two tin cans & a length of string... . . . [///]--------------[\\\]
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,322 Global Posts

Verizon is pushing devices that are selling. They probably only bought enough to see how sales go. They got stuck with extra storm 2's that didn't sell. Remember rim sells the devices to carriers on a per order basis. Look at when the HTC incredible was first launched it was backed ordered for months Verizon never thought it was going to sell that well either did HTC. Its all about the dollar.
    Make sure you vote! Your vote counts!
    Support the 9-12 Project