Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kbz1960
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Why no .714 for 9850?

Why no .714 for 9850 ?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,099 Global Posts

9850 always seems to be last.
    CrackBerry Master

9850 isn't always last. Seems more like Verizon always being late to the party to release o/s updates
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,099 Global Posts

We are talking about a leaked OS.
    I've seen one leak after another where the 9850 was left out. Sometimes it arrived later, sometimes never.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Is .714 somehow better? Having the latest doesn't always mean it's improved. Some downgrade for their own reasons.

I'm still on .429, not sure if there's a higher one but until I see greater improvements, I see no need to have the latest.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,099 Global Posts

Yes, it fixes the word substitution edit bug that came in the last build.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    654 Global Posts

I'm always asking the same thing with my 9930.. Verizon is not on top of having a functional OS.. I was using the latest .580 and it doesn't work for me since it has a bad memory leak... So I'm using .649, but that's a leaked OS. Average users just use the official OS, but it kinda sucks when it doesn't work that well, so most people will end up having a bad experience. Like how At&t just barely came out with a 7.1. That's rediculous!! The average user doesn't know about leaked OS' or how to install them. So I hope Verizon comes out with an updated official OS. If not, a leak would be nice for all those other people waiting..
    Last edited by Maxey05; 09-28-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just be thankful your not with Alltel! Their latest is 7.1.0.342!!!!!! I would love to have a new update for my 9850.
    Southern Illinois does not start at the southern edge of Cook County! (Chicago) It is about 250 miles South of there!! I really wish Illinois politicians knew this!!! Rockin an AWESOME Z30
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,185 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

FIRST - I believe everything since .342 has had the media bug.
    SECOND - No 9850/9860 OS has yet to fully solve the 1-2 meg an hour memory leak once the media player is engaged.
    THIRD - Aside from the Automatic App Killer, the OS itself has nothing new in it. It's not as if any 7.1 OS added zoom to the video camera, or allowed you to download new keyboards, or run flash from the browser, or access the media memory for applications.

Sorry for being snippy.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    PIN
    T Please!

Why bother asking on a forum, just wait, we can't help you either!!

And the automatic app killer while in theory is good, doesnt quite close the app off cleanly and as such the app cant be used again until a battery pull (deezer and sky sports score centre for me)

Unless i'm missing something!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    654 Global Posts

For some reason RIM hasn't come out with software updates for CDMA devices yet.. RIM doesn't make sense sometimes when doing business.. It would be nice if they informed us a bit more... Hopefully they will have updates for us soon!.. who knows...
    CrackBerry Abuser

my carrier (Alltel) just told me that they do not push out OS updates, BlackBerry does that! i don't believe that at all. Am I wrong on this?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Southern Illinois does not start at the southern edge of Cook County! (Chicago) It is about 250 miles South of there!! I really wish Illinois politicians knew this!!! Rockin an AWESOME Z30

Global Posts
    13,659 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B

Default Re: Why no .714 for 9850?

Quote Originally Posted by ultra07 View Post
    my carrier (Alltel) just told me that they do not push out OS updates, BlackBerry does that! i don't believe that at all. Am I wrong on this?
    Yes you are wrong for the most part, although what you said would be what most people would expect.

All OS's are made by RIM. They regularly send out new OS updates to all carriers of the applicable device for the carrier to test. It's up to a carrier whether or not to "release" an OS after that point. But release really means endorse. And there are numerous reasons why a carrier wouldn't release an OS that have nothing to do with whether or not it is "good."
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thanks for the reply. Alltel told me to connect my 9850 to my computer using Blackberry Desktop (this is how I have always done it with all of my BlackBerrys) and I could down load the latest. So I guess 7.1.0.342 is the latest? Also did a check with the phone and it says I have the latest. Thanks again.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    69,812 Global Posts

Good question. Looks like I got another tour.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1magine View Post
    FIRST - I believe everything since .342 has had the media bug.
    SECOND - No 9850/9860 OS has yet to fully solve the 1-2 meg an hour memory leak once the media player is engaged.
    THIRD - Aside from the Automatic App Killer, the OS itself has nothing new in it. It's not as if any 7.1 OS added zoom to the video camera, or allowed you to download new keyboards, or run flash from the browser, or access the media memory for applications.

Sorry for being snippy.
    Snippy's okay. You're quite honest in your posts, which is why I'd like to know if you've stayed on .342 or which would you prefer?

I'm so close to giving up on BB and switch to the iPhone, or go back to my 8530. I just want a reliable keyboard/touchscreen.
    Last edited by Undenied; 10-05-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,185 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

I'm on the Verizon Official. It's just easier. I've had issues with the hardware, (specifically the head phone jack) and it just makes life easier if you are on official if you need to call for a replacement device.

I have been dead set against an I-phone for years. And it was not even in my peripheral vision until last year when my law firm decided to allow the I-phone and I-pad. I had hoped by this summer they would also allow Android. But they do not like the fragmentation and have decided against it.

Heres's the interesting thing though, for me and 100s of thousands other on a BES. BB10 will not be backward compatible with the existing BES. This means that our firm has to decide whether to adopt the new BES or begin the process of becoming an I-phone only company. Many firms seem to be leaning to the I-phone predominately and legacy BBs for any that currently have them. If my firm follows suit in January, I'm not staying with a BB7 device, I will bite the Apple bullet and take their latest model. I kind of knew this day would come as soon as the BB Playbook was revealed. If RIM had released a BBX(BB10/QNX) device at that time with a new BES, many would have adopted it and lived through the growing pains. I think the need for a new BES enviroment come Jan. 2013, will be an impossible hill for RIM to climb. For me, I have begun to carry around my son's 3 year old Droid Incredible (wifi only) and find it 100X better for most things than my 9850.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    852 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1magine View Post
    I'm on the Verizon Official. It's just easier. I've had issues with the hardware, (specifically the head phone jack) and it just makes life easier if you are on official if you need to call for a replacement device.

I have been dead set against an I-phone for years. And it was not even in my peripheral vision until last year when my law firm decided to allow the I-phone and I-pad. I had hoped by this summer they would also allow Android. But they do not like the fragmentation and have decided against it.

Heres's the interesting thing though, for me and 100s of thousands other on a BES. BB10 will not be backward compatible with the existing BES. This means that our firm has to decide whether to adopt the new BES or begin the process of becoming an I-phone only company. Many firms seem to be leaning to the I-phone predominately and legacy BBs for any that currently have them. If my firm follows suit in January, I'm not staying with a BB7 device, I will bite the Apple bullet and take their latest model. I kind of knew this day would come as soon as the BB Playbook was revealed. If RIM had released a BBX(BB10/QNX) device at that time with a new BES, many would have adopted it and lived through the growing pains. I think the need for a new BES enviroment come Jan. 2013, will be an impossible hill for RIM to climb. For me, I have begun to carry around my son's 3 year old Droid Incredible (wifi only) and find it 100X better for most things than my 9850.
    BES 10 upgrade will basically just add support for the new devices (including Android and iPhone). It's supposed to all work on one server, with the existing BES pieces staying intact. I realize Mobile Fusion isn't that way now, but if licensing is the same as Mobile Fusion, then BES 10 won't have an up-front cost, only for CALs. Also, even if your firm doesn't go with BES 10, they could just allow BB10 using Active Sync. Are they using anything to manage/secure the iOS devices?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    852 Global Posts

As for the topic at hand, I was doing well on 7.1.580 for a while now, but I've been getting lock ups or freezes on occasion lately. The bug where you pause music when using the headset and then resume it to only get the tin can sound is annoying, and I'd like that fixed. It seems though that any time there is a fix for one thing, a bug appears elsewhere. It's like Whack-A-Mole.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    654 Global Posts

Verizon just released an official update for us cdma people!..
    Thanked by:
    kbz1960 (11-16-2012) 

Quote Originally Posted by Maxey05 View Post
    Verizon just released an official update for us cdma people!..
    It's not available for download on their site yet.
    I'm Rambling in Rehab and Be 5000
    Need help? Just ask.
    Want to know how to do stuff here on the forums? Try the Forum Help Videos & Guides sections.

Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    69,812 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by middbrew View Post
    It's not available for download on their site yet.
    Buzz kill
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    middbrew likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    654 Global Posts

It's available OTA or on Desktop Manager. I'm sure it will become available soon for everybody to download!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    654 Global Posts

I found this change log:

+ Push to Talk updates automatically.
    + “Network Extender” icon shows on Home Screen when connected to a Verizon network Extender.
    + NFC Secure Key support allows you to effectively lock and wipe the Secure Element on Near Field Communication (NFC) devices.
    + Improved battery life with Battery Saving Mode.
    + Wirelessly share media with Wireless Media Server.
    + BlackBerry Mobile Conferencing support is now available.
    + Improved performance of the Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) application.
    + Increased device stability while making and receiving Push to Talk calls.
    + Improvements to VZ Navigator® app while roaming.
    + Enhancements for GPS to add more accuracy to location information.
    + Improvements for VOIP applications.
    + Improved battery life while using Wi-Fi.
    + Improved in quality of audio calls.
    + Implemented a new version of the Amazon Music Store version 1.0.1.50 that has improved connectivity and reliability.
    + Modify code to allow VoIP to use media recording path and avoid loss of audio.
    + If your smartphone has BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), improvements have been made to ensure proper delivery of emails.