Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ichat
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Verizon Clerk bad mouthing Blackberry big time.

I know there is several threads dealing with this subject, but when I went to a Verizon Store to buy a torch 9850, I was told not to buy a Blackberry, they are going out of business, will no longer update their products and i should buy an Android or Apple phone. When I mentioned the PlayBook OS was recently upgraded , she said was the "pad" and that is different from the phone.

Wow, and their was another employee standing there, taking all this in and not saying a word, as if he agreed with all said.

Is Verizon actively trying to make Blackberry fail? What could be their reason for having such poorly untrained employees? it's remarkable.

In a period of 2 days I was upset with Blackberry and now with Verizon. Maybe I will go to ATT and get an iPhone

I was upset with Blackberry because i was having problems with my phone which Verizon
    couldn't solve, so they got Blackberry on line to help. When the BB tech answered, I started to tell him about my smart phone problem, he stopped me. He said he was the PlayPad tech. He could connect me to the Smart Phone tech for $50.00 ! I ask are you actually telling me it will cost $50 to transfer a phone?
    I think BB has sunk to a new low, charging $50 to transfer a call.

Between those two events, I think something is telling me, no verizon, no Blackberry.

What to do, I like my Blackberry and my Playbook, I like the Verizon network. Decisions decisions.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

They're going out of business? No more updates? LOL. I didn't think the reps would say stuff that low, I shouldn't be surprised though.
    Perhaps life is just that...a dream and a fear.
    CrackBerry Addict

I went into Verizon today and was disappointed as well. The store is the largest in the area and didn't have any Blackberry devices on display. I'm going to check out the kiosk and small store in the mall tomorrow, but I expect the same result.

I was looking for a 9930, and the price point of through Verizon doesn't make sense. It's on the high end of their devices, yet they have no desire to show it.
    CrackBerry User

Wow thats strange Vodafone in the Uk promote Blackberry a great deal and having just moved from blackberry to a android phone i found that contract benefits wise i lost out quite a bit ( a lot less free mintues, no cheap european data included for example)

I always presumed the phone companies wanted people on Blackberrys, to help them reduce the strain on their networks data wise?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andgee View Post
    Wow thats strange Vodafone in the Uk promote Blackberry a great deal and having just moved from blackberry to a android phone i found that contract benefits wise i lost out quite a bit ( a lot less free mintues, no cheap european data included for example)

I always presumed the phone companies wanted people on Blackberrys, to help them reduce the strain on their networks data wise?
    As I understand it, RIM is doing fine in Europe; it's in the U.S. that they are having problems with market share (6.5% in 4Q2011 ).

Verizon is pushing their 4G LTE network really hard, and that currently means "Android". As for pushing iPhones, well, that's just the Apple marketing magic.

I have wondered why RIM does not push their strong points more, like a secure platform, with that flap recently concerning iPhone and Android apps accessing personal data without user permission. With respect to data compression, why don't they point out that one reason that Blackberries are lower in data usage statistics is the 5:1 data compression? But at least here in the U.S., why would the provider want a more efficient handset when they can sock the user with data overages of $10/GB
    Last edited by CharlesH; 03-12-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Not shocking. I am a US Cellular customer and it is safe to say that I know much more about Blackberry than most of the sales reps. US Cellular doesn't have a huge phone selection, but they really push their android devices.

I don't necessarility blame them as I think RIM has a bigger PR issue than a phone device issue.

I really like my Torch 9850 and actually switched back from US Cellular's best phone (in my opinion) the Electrify. Time will tell.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Shove your phone displaying crackberry.com. Up their . Make sure it is an old blackberry. Show them the 3 million strong nation.
    Mr.Monty and Undenied like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I notice my local Verizon store in North Las Vegas don't have a blackberry on display anywhere in the store. But that payment machine in the back sure doesn't mind accepting my cash to pay my bill for a blackberry on their network lol.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

I was in the W57st Sprint store in Manhattan today, 2 whole blackberries on display, the 9850 removed from view. Of course the 2 that were left had keyboards, probably only 2 more phones in the store had keyboards as well. Maybe BB waited too long to release the all touch phone and shot themselves in the head. (Notice I didn't say foot)
    Z30 STA100-5 10.2.1.1925 T-Mobile
    Z10 STL100-3 OS 10.2.0.1791/1792 (backup)
    9850 Sprint - Internet Fast as a turtle - Old news
    8350i Nextel - Slow as a turtle - Ancient history
    CrackBerry Newbie

I had a few issues lately with my 9650 (got stuck in a reboot loop after deleting a few pps), after going into Verizon, I also noticed that they only had 2 BB's on display, and of course the sales rep tried to sell me a new phone...android. Not dogging android or iphone, i havent used them, i just prefer to stick with Outlook for all my calendar and email needs. Anyway, he tried to sell me a new phone, dispite the fact I am not due for an upgrade, but if I just "added a line for $30/mo" I could get out of BB world, and avoid paying full retail price for a new phone. I told him i was no mathmatician, but if i locked into $30/mo for 2 yrs and paid $200+ for a new phone, that would put me in the hole... no thank you. BB replaced my 9650 and the new pne so far works great.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Can't say for sure because I don't go to a great number of different stores, but VZ does seem to do the most customer "steering" from all of the other carrier stores that I've been to.

Sprint, tmobile and AT&T in general (couple different stores each) tried to figure out what I was looking for feature wise or preference wise, but VZ was much more direct in trying to steer the purchases (not that I ever buy directly from a store unless it's an exchange).

That said, AT&T often has a centric display for the Torch 9800 (when it was newer) and the 9810. But that's because they actually market the phone, unlike most of the other carriers...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,418 Global Posts

Hmmm...that's weird because when I upgraded to mine, the store Mgr herself had one and was telling me how much she loved it. That was back in December, so things might have change by now.