Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianc9563 View Post
    My port failed just under 6months old. Contacted T-Mobile who told me to take it to my local T-Mobile shop to have it checked. The phone would charge sometimes but not others. When the phone came back they told me the main board had been damaged and was not covered under warranty. When I got home I noticed that the USB port was no longer there. I wrote to tmobile and they have refused to repair. They said that I have damaged the phone. I simply dont know how they expect anyone to charge a phone without plugging it in.

Any advice would be greatfully accepted.
    If you still want to use the phone the best you can probably do is get the External JM-1 Battery Package (official, not 3rd party) and use that. I first bought one for super cheap on ebay, it came with a fake JM1 battery and some third party charger. It would only charge the fake battery and not the real one that came with my phone!

I sent it back and ended up just buying the real one and it works great. It's good cause I usually zap my whole battery in under a day anyway so I have an extra to swap out on the go.

The only downsides are that you can't sync stuff via USB or update OS via USB anymore and if you forget to charge one of your batteries you'll end up with no phone for a bit lol.

I still haven't gotten the port fixed on mine but I may just not get it done after hearing stories about other people having other troubles with the phone after getting it fixed. Swapping batteries is fine for now and I'll probably be ready to get a new phone by the time changing batteries really aggravates me.

Good luck!
    Thanked by:
    ianc9563 (08-04-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

I hope that the charging dock that I just ordered will help make the USB port last longer than that...
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same!
    Storm 9530 -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9860
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thanks for comments, yes an additional battery and charging do as a makeship work around, I just don't see why t-mobile should get away without honouring the warranty by saying the phones been damaged when all ive done is charge it up.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!

Contact RIM directly and see what they can do.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.2.1.2141
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    J.C. BlackBerry, What's your game?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!

Quote Originally Posted by rockroadie View Post
    I have had my Torch 9850 from spring since September(8 mos). for about the past 4 months the USB port has been lose(i would have to fiddle with the cable to get it to charge). well this week it completely broke free from the motherboard. i took it to Cell Phone Repair to see about getting it fixed, and they were out of stock on the USB ports. I checked a couple of "fix my berry" sites on line and they were all out of stock too. apparently this is a common problem with the phone. happily i have an external charger and a spare battery. and i can pair my phone with my laptop using bluetooth, so i can still use tether at work.

not looking for sympathy, just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
    Seems to be a weak point on both this phone and the PlayBook.

Just had mine fail and I baby my phone.

Covered under warrenty. So will have replacement phone Saturday or Monday.
    I used the express service. Cost me $35 for shipping but worth not waiting
    for them to fix it and return it.

Phones not even 1 year old. Way to soon for this type of hardware failure.

Tim
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.2.1.2141
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    J.C. BlackBerry, What's your game?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Default Re: USB Data/Charging Port breaks rather quickly.

My just turned a year old 9850 is having this problem also. USB port seems to have some "play" in it, loose connection, and won't charge the battery but may be drawing power as a USB seeing that the battery seems to be steady, maybe. Battery pulls don't work so it leads me to think it's hardware related and the USB must be pulling away from the motherboard. A new phone would be costly at this point seeing that I have a year to go on my contract. Any fix for one who lacks the knowledge to open 'er up and do it himself? Help!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    32FFA062
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #32  

Default Re: USB Data/Charging Port breaks rather quickly.

i gave up trying to get a new charging port. I bought an external charger and spare battery.since i can get an upgrade, i am waiting the 2 months or so for BB10. still love my phone, and wouldn't trade it for anything. hopefully my next BB won't have this problem.
    CrackBerry Genius

Aaaand mine is officially toast. Hooray! :| couldnt it just wait till bb10?? come on!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default USB Data/Charging Port breaks rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by playbookster View Post
    Aaaand mine is officially toast. Hooray! :| couldnt it just wait till bb10?? come on!
    haha exactly what i said when mine went out last week. I spent 35$ to get it fixed
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by SirSti23 View Post
    haha exactly what i said when mine went out last week. I spent 35$ to get it fixed
    i just got this phone a few weeks ago! it was to replace my 9800 cause that also had a usb issue
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by playbookster View Post
    i just got this phone a few weeks ago! it was to replace my 9800 cause that also had a usb issue
    the external charger i bought to charge my batteries, bit the dust about a week ago, I plugged it in and about 2 min later i heard it go "POP". I whipped out an old external charger that i had when i had a Storm, even though i have to place the battery perpendicular, due to the fact that the JM-1 and DX-1 batteries have the contacts in different places, i use a rubber band to keep it in place, and it still charges fine. BB10 needs to get here ASAP LOL
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have a Torch 9860 and have owned it for about a 15 months. For the past month or so I have had a similar problem. If I wiggle or position the charging head of the USB just right in the charging port it will charge but it is a pain in the *** to have to do this for another 8-9 months beforeI can get an upgrade. I have seen numerous complaints of this so it is obviously an issue.
    CrackBerry User

After externally charging and switching batteries for months, my wife and I solved our crappy charging port problems by switching to new Z10s. Blackberry BARELY kept us as customers after having the charging ports go out on not one but two 9860s...

But the Z10 is phenomenal. All is forgiven for now.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12