Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    32FFA062
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default USB Data/Charging Port breaks rather quickly.

I have had my Torch 9850 from spring since September(8 mos). for about the past 4 months the USB port has been lose(i would have to fiddle with the cable to get it to charge). well this week it completely broke free from the motherboard. i took it to Cell Phone Repair to see about getting it fixed, and they were out of stock on the USB ports. I checked a couple of "fix my berry" sites on line and they were all out of stock too. apparently this is a common problem with the phone. happily i have an external charger and a spare battery. and i can pair my phone with my laptop using bluetooth, so i can still use tether at work.

not looking for sympathy, just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    827 Global Posts

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts
    PIN
    D.K.D.

I've had my 9860 since the day Telus relesed it.....my charging port is fine. I had my storm 1 & 2 and never had a problem with either. Had my pearl 8130 for two years. No problem there either. Have you dropped your phone a lot? Do you ram your charger into your phone on a slight angle? Do you use non OEM chargers?
    Sent from another dimension on my hcroT 0689.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

In addition to its smaller size, the micro USB is more durable than the mini USB connector. A micro USB features a stainless-steel shell to allow for over 10,000 insertion cycles, as well as a latching mechanism that provides higher extraction forces without sacrificing the USB’s ease-of-use for synching and charging your portable devices.

In theory you should have no problems
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    32FFA062
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I used the charger that came with the phone. i also had curves, and both storms. i haven't dropped my phone or anything. but from checking out repair sites, it seems to be a weak point with some of these phones.

but i can overcome no data port. is it just a bump in the road for my BB, which works great otherwise.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Looks like your charging port is faulty. Mine is all right and everything looks good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    Thanks For Reading My Post
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    670 Global Posts

Yeah I have no issues with my usb charging port either. I plug my phone into the computer quite a bit to swap files as well and mine is still solid. I've not heard of anyone other then the OP having this problem, but I'm sure others do! Perhaps it is faulty hardware on some of the phones.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    32FFA062
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

perhaps. i will keep everyone informed about when i can get it repaired
    CrackBerry User

I can also say my charging port became loose and I had to fiddle with the cord to get it to charge. Luckily i have extended warranty so I just got a new phone...
    CrackBerry User

Same usb port problem my 9850. I guess it's been going on for a a month now and basically overlooked it as a cable problem. I will to see if I can get it replaced.
    CrackBerry User

Never had that problem with my 9860 at all, that did happen to my old curve 8530. It was even starting to break my chargers
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Go ahead & ask

Default 2nd 9860

I am on my 2nd 9860 in less than 1 year from Telus. And the usb port just started being finicky

The 1st one the usb pulled right out.

Problem is Telus no longer carries the 9860.
    Blackberry Z10 & 64 GB Playbook
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    900 Global Posts

This happened to my old Bold 9000, it actually fried the phone. But no such problems with the 9860. Only issue is that my car charger usb is too thick for the Otter Case, and it barely reaches to make the connection.
  14. RWD
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

My son's broke this morning - seems to be missing a pin as far as I can see. Worst decision ever made by RIM was to stop making the phones with the charging contacts so we could use a charging pod. I miss my 8900 for that alone.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,684 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RWD View Post
    My son's broke this morning - seems to be missing a pin as far as I can see. Worst decision ever made by RIM was to stop making the phones with the charging contacts so we could use a charging pod. I miss my 8900 for that alone.
    the candy bar style bolds (except the 9790) have it. Its a BOLD feature.. not really one that people buy phones for. The Torches never had them and never will.. just because they sit nicer side ways and if u stick two contacts on a phone sideways it'll just look awkward aesthetically
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

This happened to me a couple months ago and I haven't been using my 9860 since. I charge my phone every night and one morning I woke up to find that my phone did not charge and was about to die. I tried to find a replacement part online but couldn't find anything, then I brought it into a cell phone repair shop and said they didn't have the parts for it either.

This morning I was looking for charging ports and I found a couple of them on ebay.

Option 1
    Option 2

I'm interested in this but I'm not familiar with the inside design of the Torch and the skill required to replace the part. Does anyone have any experience or is willing to try it out? Let me know!

Hope this helps.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    32FFA062
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by intellekt View Post
    This happened to me a couple months ago and I haven't been using my 9860 since. I charge my phone every night and one morning I woke up to find that my phone did not charge and was about to die. I tried to find a replacement part online but couldn't find anything, then I brought it into a cell phone repair shop and said they didn't have the parts for it either.

This morning I was looking for charging ports and I found a couple of them on ebay.

Option 1
    Option 2

I'm interested in this but I'm not familiar with the inside design of the Torch and the skill required to replace the part. Does anyone have any experience or is willing to try it out? Let me know!

Hope this helps.
    thanks, if you have a cell phone repair store, they can probably install the part for you, for a fee.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for the links, intellekt. I ordered from option 2 and will report back once it gets delivered. A local cell phone repair store told me they could do the repair, they just couldn't get the part, so I'm hoping they can fix it. I've got a 9850 that's been a brick for about 6 months because the charging port broke not long after purchase. My 9650 is now about 2 and a half years old and starting to show it, so I'll be using the repaired 9850 as a replacement.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024 View Post
    Thanks for the links, intellekt. I ordered from option 2 and will report back once it gets delivered. A local cell phone repair store told me they could do the repair, they just couldn't get the part, so I'm hoping they can fix it. I've got a 9850 that's been a brick for about 6 months because the charging port broke not long after purchase. My 9650 is now about 2 and a half years old and starting to show it, so I'll be using the repaired 9850 as a replacement.
    How much they will charge?
  20. RWD
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Maybe they could do a magnetic rapid charge port like the PlayBook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    PIN
    284BB2BA

I agree something similar to (dont get angry with me i'm still all BlackBerry) the galaxy nexus

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Crackberry forums app
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024 View Post
    No problem. Please do let me know. I ended up ordering the external battery charger for the JM1 and I'm just waiting on it now. I'm still planning on getting the USB port repaired but I always wanted an extra battery to carry around with me so this is a good excuse to get it :P

I'm using a HTC Incredible 2 right now and I love the android platform but it only runs on GSM/EDGE here on Rogers (Canada) which sucks.

I need my blackberry back!
    CrackBerry Newbie

hi i had this problem i broke my charging port but i got it repaired now i have a different problem my torch 9860 keeps turning off by itself unless plugged into charger even if batterys full can anyone help please
  24. RWD
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Broke again. Opposite pin from the last time is bent. I think three things are needed - repair again, replace the USB cord and buy the external charger. in the interim, the old Nokia 1100 is back in service

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Torch 9860 charging port

My port failed just under 6months old. Contacted T-Mobile who told me to take it to my local T-Mobile shop to have it checked. The phone would charge sometimes but not others. When the phone came back they told me the main board had been damaged and was not covered under warranty. When I got home I noticed that the USB port was no longer there. I wrote to tmobile and they have refused to repair. They said that I have damaged the phone. I simply dont know how they expect anyone to charge a phone without plugging it in.

Any advice would be greatfully accepted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast