Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Trackpad Works with Internal Phone Feature Test Only

I presume this works on most BlackBerry models. My 9850's trackpad became useless for trackpadding weeks ago but after finding this interesting phone feature test tool, I found that it IS actually responding to touch commands, just not for typical phone operations. In the trackpad (listed as trackball) test, it easily registered up, down, left & right. That's indicative of a software issue and not necessarily connectivity in the trackpad assembly. There's a list of quite a few other feature tests too such as the touch screen, pixel colors, indicator LED colors, radio Tx/Rx, etc.. At the end of the test, it creates a saved profile for that test that can be shared through most any messaging protocol. I'd be interested to hear the trackpad test results from others with non-working trackpads. Have fun!

Go to: options > device > device & status info > open the keyboard & type the word test

Original Source Post
    Proof Blackberry Can't Make Touchscreen Phones
    It's not just good, it's BlackBerry good!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerryMagnet View Post
    I presume this works on most BlackBerry models. My 9850's trackpad became useless for trackpadding weeks ago but after finding this interesting phone feature test tool, I found that it IS actually responding to touch commands, just not for typical phone operations. In the trackpad (listed as trackball) test, it easily registered up, down, left & right. That's indicative of a software issue and not necessarily connectivity in the trackpad assembly. There's a list of quite a few other feature tests too such as the touch screen, pixel colors, indicator LED colors, radio Tx/Rx, etc.. At the end of the test, it creates a saved profile for that test that can be shared through most any messaging protocol. I'd be interested to hear the trackpad test results from others with non-working trackpads. Have fun!

Go to: options > device > device & status info > open the keyboard & type the word test

Original Source Post
    Proof Blackberry Can't Make Touchscreen Phones
    Hey! I went through this test and several others. While my trackpad didn't perform well during the test, it now performs perfectly...wth??
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

Since my trackpad again was acting up, I did went through the process you explained and did the test again. Again, after the test was completed, my trackpad works great....any ideas as to why it keeps fouling up in the first place? This sure seems to point to this being some sort of software issue rather than a physical one, which i was leaning towards...any ideas?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for posting your results AFTER the test because although my pad worked during the test I didn't check it after. Yep, I think my trackpad issue is definitely software related because mine also worked again after performing the test but the click function still does not work. The only problem is that since the pad stopped working months ago, I got in the habit of using the screen for everything and just don't even try the pad anymore whether it works or not. Another thing I noticed is that the pad stops working again after a while but if the test is performed again, it works again.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerryMagnet View Post
    Thanks for posting your results AFTER the test because although my pad worked during the test I didn't check it after. Yep, I think my trackpad issue is definitely software related because mine also worked again after performing the test but the click function still does not work. The only problem is that since the pad stopped working months ago, I got in the habit of using the screen for everything and just don't even try the pad anymore whether it works or not. Another thing I noticed is that the pad stops working again after a while but if the test is performed again, it works again.
    I have the same issue with the trackpad not working after awhile and then working perfect after performing the test again...it seems to work fine until it spends time in my pocket....
    Another interesting thing that I've discovered is that this test seems to "fix" the "blown speaker", or "cracking" as I call it, issue with the ear speaker.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Default Re: Trackpad Works with Internal Phone Feature Test Only

Just under 400 views and nobody else has any experiences to share. Well, at least s semi-fix was found for the trackpad.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

I'm still using this process to get use of my trackpad back....still works every time. It seems i have to do it every couple weeks...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Trackpad Works with Internal Phone Feature Test Only

i'm doing the test at least once a day to get use of my trackpad. im hoping its just a software issue as it only started for me on .714. hopefully we'll get .749 soon like all the other phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

The problem with my BB was that the trackpad went up to the top of the screen in bright daylight and stayed there ... I could drag it down but the moment my thumb left the trackpad it would shoot/scroll to the top of the screen again. Is the problem you are experiencing with your trackpad similar and have you performed the above test in, say, bright sunlight?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Trackpad Works with Internal Phone Feature Test Only

no, problem I have is the trackpad not working at all. I had hoped a new OS update would fix it but I just installed .746 and its still not working

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    PIN
    333A6FE4

This test is no longer helping me with my trackpad...the trackpad can be replaced, but I'm not sure its worth the hassle, and I would be pissed if I did all that and it went bad again. Although its not really necessary, it is a nice feature to have...