Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Touch Screen acting erratic...I figured it out!

I have a 9850 with the VZW shell/holster combo. I have been having issues with the touch screen acting erratic...sometimes acting as though a pinch-zoom or list select operation is being done when I only have one thumb on the screen, or reacting at the wrong point on the screen (away from my touch).

Tonight, I removed the shell for a good cleaning of the 9850...and the touch screen works perfectly! I then put it back on the phone, and the misbehavior returned.

I'm not sure if it's the plastic of the shell creating static that's messing with the screen, or the fact that due to the shell I am not touching the chrome ring, and therefore I am not 'grounded' to the body of the phone.

I suppose my next experiment should be a small piece of aluminum foil inside the shell, extending so that I am touching it when holding the phone. Unfortunately, I'm traveling, and there's no foil in the hotel room. I'll try it tomorrow at work.

I really like the VZW shell/holster combo...are there better alternatives with similar protection/means of access?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ask

what shell aand case are you using?
    CrackBerry Master

Default Verizon Shell and Housing

Picked up mine at local VZN store - works great. Only problem: 9850 loses sleekness appeal. When you get older/clumsier, you need stuff like this. As a part of my bell, book, and candle regime, I take mine out at home for amusement. Seriously, as with most of the stuff VZN deals with, this is a great practical and working combo. When I holster my 9850/shell pair, I always hit the top center screen lock button. When I pull it out, it is good to go. Does detect phone in holster. Not seeing erratic screen behavior mentioned in this thread. Doc Neutron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Touch Screen acting erratic...I figured it out!-montgomery-20111203-00046.jpg  
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 12-03-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: more info
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

The picture attached above is the case that I have. Consistently, the phone behaves better out of the shell.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

go caseless and enjoy the beautiful curves of the torch! btw when i do use a case which is rare, i use incpio.
    Storm 9530/Storm 9550/Droid X/Torch 9850 with leaked .362(gone), iPhone 5 on iOS7 AND a Z10 on 10.2.1.1925 w a companion Playbook.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,630 Global Posts

I just keep mine in a pocket pouch when I'm not using it. When using it naked is how I like my devices.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry Newbie

I got the same problem as you.. It is not about the case or pouch that you use. it is a hardware problem.. Seems that the device from vzw is lack of quality control..

The only solution is to replace the touch screen module on device.. I've replaced mine and now the problem disappear..