Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By cesarperrin
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Torch 9860: Erratic touchscreen when plugged in via USB. A cautionary tale.

I discovered a frightening yet (as it turned out) utterly benign issue with my BlackBerry Torch 9860.

Apparently the touchscreen goes haywire when you attempt to use it while plugged to a PC via USB cable.

I made this discovery while attempting to upgrade my OS to .440. After a successful install, I picked up my device and proceeded to fiddle around with it while it was still plugged in. To my absolute horror, my touch sent the screen flying about as it misread everything I did. Touch-hold would cause icons to jitter and swing to a different panel. Writing notes on the Memo Pad would result in the regurgitation of completely unreadable garbage.

Like any reasonable human being (I think so anyway) I assumed the software update was the culprit, so I downgraded.

And downgraded again. And again. I would have gone on downgrading to the negative numbers if I could, had I not run out of hair to pull from my head. My screams of rage sent a murder of crows taking flight in fear all the way in Denver, and I live in Manila. I had bits of my own scalp and brain under my fingernails.

I eventually lost steam and gave up, thinking perhaps I could take it back to the store and have it replaced with an iguana or something (I've heard they're quite responsive to touch). I disconnected my phone and stormed out. While I was idling at the elevator heading to the lobby, I whipped out my phone on a whim and fiddled around with it again.

It was fine.

Baffled, I thought maybe the elevator cured it. But a phone that only works in an elevator is no good to me. So I tested it at the lobby. Then I tested it at Starbucks. I tested it at Marks and Spencer. I tested it at church but the pastor crane kicked me in the testicles and told me to sod off with the bloody thing. So I tested it at the hospital while my nuts were getting reinflated.

It was perfectly fine. I plan on reupgrading again tonight.

Moral of the story: an iguana can never be an adequate replacement for a BlackBerry.

- César Perrin

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Funny story!

I remember reading on one of the other forums a few weeks ago about similar device behavior that occurred to someone else when they used a USB cable other than the one that came with their phone. I don't know if that describes your situation, though.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp55 View Post
    Funny story!

I remember reading on one of the other forums a few weeks ago about similar device behavior that occurred to someone else when they used a USB cable other than the one that came with their phone. I don't know if that describes your situation, though.
    This I've found to be true. When I first got my 9850 I experienced the erratic behavior as described by the OP. I unplugged the USB cable I was using (from my Storm) and plugged in the one that came with the Torch. No more problem.

The old chargers don't work so well either, getting extremely hot at times.

Last edited by Midnight Barbecue; 11-13-2011 at 09:36 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

weird, ive never seen this happen before.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have the same problem that my storm 1 and 2 had when I'm on the phone while charging... It goes in and out of speakerphone by itself. Can someone fix this after 4 years?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts

This is a problem that I had with several of my generic chargers. While plugged in the phone would become absolutely useless. It would charge, but I couldn't use it. I have not had any problems with the OEM chargers or a Motorola charger.

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ross778 View Post
    This is a problem that I had with several of my generic chargers. While plugged in the phone would become absolutely useless. It would charge, but I couldn't use it. I have not had any problems with the OEM chargers or a Motorola charger.

I have had this problem using my old Storm charger with my Touch 9850. It never does it with the charger that came with it though. It only wants to hook up with it's own charger- so what my Touch wants - it gets!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    PIN
    290201D6

I have my torch plugged in at work to the computer and have used it just fine. No strange issues like your describing here. Hmm.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    PIN
    no problem-- just ask

When you all say "charger", what are you referring to? Just the included USB cable or a wall charger? I don't think I'd use anything but the included wall charger, since I know those can vary from device to device just enough to make a difference but are you saying different USB cables matter?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

I can tell you all that I'm using the factory charger, my old Storm 2 charger, my Playbook factory charger (although some have recommended not to), my blackberry cable to computer and my old S2 car charger with no issues.
    Sent from my Atari 2600, in the back of my van, down by the river...

Storm /Storm2 .1015 /9850 7.1.0.861 /Z10 10.2.0.1725 /Z30 10.2.1.1055
    Playbook-16GB² & 64GB²
    CrackBerry Addict

With my Verizon 9850, using a Verizon/Blackberry car cig-plug charger, it would charge perfectly fine when hooked up to a car DC outlet/cig-lighter socket. But if I plugged that into a generic AC-2-DC wall socket adapter, the phone would go nuts. The touch screen would act like a ghost was using it, it would launch apps at random and, if possible, would enter random text (numbers and letters) into a text slot. I would have to power off the phone so it would charge OK without running random apps or possible ghost dailing.
    It does this with the out-of-box OS, the latest official Verizon OS, and with the current non-Verizon latest OS.
    The same adapter and charger worked fine on my Storm1.
    So the issue may not be totally an issue with using a non-Torch-Only charger or cable, but with the power source also.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    547 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM. View Post
    I have the same problem that my storm 1 and 2 had when I'm on the phone while charging... It goes in and out of speakerphone by itself. Can someone fix this after 4 years?

This is more of a "feature" than a bug. When the phone is docked the phone is in landscape and on speaker. When you pulg it in and turn it sideways it will switch to that mode assuming you are docked. Very annoying...
    Torch 9850 (v7.0.1.580)
    2 Blackberry Playbooks 16GB & 64GB

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass,
    It's about learning to dance in the rain call a Storm a Torch!