Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Help PLEASE: Taking my Rogers 9860 to México

I might be heading down to México for a few months.

1. Assuming I have to unlock my phone (instead of getting a Rogers "travel pack"), does anyone know which Mexican mobile phone companies sell a sim card that includes a BIS dataplan?

2. Also, a buddy has a Telus 9850. I assume it will need to be unlocked before a Mexican simcard will work in it, right? It's a CDMA phone in Canada but will it work on the Mexican GSM system if he gets a simcard from a Mexican phone company?

I did a lot of searching thru these forums and didn't really find any definitive info, and not too much that was recent either.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 10-25-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: To Clarify My Questions
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2941
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1917
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Default Re: Taking my Rogers 9860 to México

Shameless effort to bump this question up. Surely someone here must have taken a BB phone to México. Where are all you snowbirds?
    Patrick from Calgary
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    PIN
    No more PIN

Default Re: Taking my Rogers 9860 to México

Telus is also 9860 and doesn't use CDMA...I'm sure if you do a google search on Mexican carriers you can get the info you need.
  4. gdp
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Help PLEASE: Taking my Rogers 9860 to México

I take my BBs to Mexico all the time. You do have to get them unlocked. I use and old BB with Movistar sim cards when I'm there because a call to the US is about $2 for 20 minutes. I only use it for phone service. I use my current BB for data plan because I can buy what I need from ATT and it's cheaper than local data in Mexico. Not what you asked for but hope it helps.
    Thanked by:
    PatrickMJS (10-25-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi. I live in Mexico. GSM carriers (Telcel and Movistar) will be able to sell you a prepaid Sim. Telcel's prepaid sims go for about 12 USD, and you can buy BIS packages on 3, 7, 15, and 30 days worth. The 30 days one goes for about 43 USD, and includes full BIS, 3 gigabytes, and about 35 USD worth of free calls/sms. I'm not familiarized with Movistar's packages, but they must be similar. You can check out both carriers international visitors section of their websites wwww.telcel.com and Movistar México
    I hope this information is helpful to you. It's my first post by the way.
    Enjoy your stay!
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by yei_yei00 View Post
    Hi. I live in Mexico. GSM carriers (Telcel and Movistar) will be able to sell you a prepaid Sim. Telcel's prepaid sims go for about 12 USD, and you can buy BIS packages on 3, 7, 15, and 30 days worth. The 30 days one goes for about 43 USD, and includes full BIS, 3 gigabytes, and about 35 USD worth of free calls/sms. I'm not familiarized with Movistar's packages, but they must be similar. You can check out both carriers international visitors section of their websites wwww.telcel.com and Movistar México
    I hope this information is helpful to you. It's my first post by the way.
    Enjoy your stay!
    Hi Yei,

And thanks for the info. I'll definitely check it out once I get down there.

Now I need to call Rogers to get them to unlock my phone.

Also, welcome to the forums here at CB.com. I hope you find this site as useful as I do for info, tips & helpful advice.
    Patrick from Calgary