Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default suretype question

Is there any way to turn the predictive text off when using the suretype keyboard? I loved the keyboard on my old pearl and pearl flip, but on those phones I could select "multi tap" mode and they didn't kick the predictive text back on. I could dbl tap the key to select the letter I wanted. I really wish I could do this on my 9850!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Default Enable Multitap

From any field where you can enter text, press the BB Key and select "Enable Multitap" from the top of the menu (should be the second option).
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

Agree with rjqq... just turn it on/off like on any other Blackberry.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Nope...obviously I tried that! It makes the keyboard look like a standard phone keypad...3-4 letters per key. I used my old pearl and pearl flip as a suretype(2 letters per key) without the pedictive text on and it was really fast. I guess it just can't be done on the torch.

CrackBerry User

PIN
    EAPPLE UpSiDe-DoWn CAKE ;)

Quote Originally Posted by spencer1076 View Post
    Nope...obviously I tried that! It makes the keyboard look like a standard phone keypad...3-4 letters per key. I used my old pearl and pearl flip as a suretype(2 letters per key) without the pedictive text on and it was really fast. I guess it just can't be done on the torch.

YES IT CAN!!! I'm not sure if it's what you're talking about, I've never had a pearl, but I use the phone in portrait mode a lot with the "reduced keyboard" Play around with the "enable ....keyboard" buttons and you should be able to find the one that says enable reduced keyboard! It's nice, I like it! It works only in portrait mode, obviously. Try bringing up bbm or a text and hitting the blackberry key then enable full keyboard, then see if you can tap enable reduced keyboard. =)

Also if you go into Options---typing and language---keyboard---then there are a bunch of keyboard options in there! You can change the "Portrait Keyboard Type" to Full or Reduced, which has two letters per key!

I also really like using the different keyboard layouts, QWERTZ particularly. It makes it less likely to accidentally hit the Z key.

And if you're having difficulties accidentally hiding your keyboard, in that options screen you can click the box that says "Enable Virtual Keyboard Hide Bar" so that you can't make the keyboard disappear by accident when you try typing a Y or T. =)

I hope that helps!!

EDIT:: I re read your post and realized what you were really looking for was the ability to turn off predictive text =( I'm sorry.. I guess I got so excited about the reduced keyboard aspect myself that I wanted to share it!

In the Options screen under Typing and Language tap "Typing" and there are options for Predictive, Direct, and Corrective! ....I, myself haven't tried any but predictive yet....Hope this is what you're looking for!!
    Last edited by DeedleBugDee; 11-05-2011 at 03:33 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Lol..thanks Deedle, but I've tried all the options in the typing menu. If I select anything other than predictive, I don't get the suretype keyboard. I also have the "spelling" box unchecked. I guess I'll just have to live with always typing in landscape. The predictive text crap drives me insane but I love the 2 letter per key suretype keyboard!!!

CrackBerry User

PIN
    EAPPLE UpSiDe-DoWn CAKE ;)

Haha oops! Then you/we might be SOL. I thought for sure I solved your issue! =P back to the drawing boards RIM...