Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By PHughes
  • 1 Post By Jose Casiano
  • 2 Post By MobileMadness002
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Stealth proof private info

Just got a new Torch 9860 would like to know how to stealth proof my phone. Rumor has it our phones may have someone listening to and reading txt msgs. Thought phone had to have a program installed on target phone but new to all this unacceptable behavior. Our phones are private business but unsure if it is. Can someone listen to phones calls, read txt msgs etc.? Work in healthcare and very important it stays between individuals reporting to and from! Thank u
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Stealth proof private info

I could be wrong but unless they hack your phone, you install an app that has malware or you leave it unattended, you should be ok.. The key is always be very careful when downloading and granting apps any type of access authority..

You should be very happy with your new 9860. I've had mine for over a year and love it. I do miss a keyboard sometimes but other then that, it's an awesome phone. Love the design, has great contours and feels great in the hand. Its a shame RIM never promoted it more, I'm guessing that's because it lacks processor prowess to competing with all the big boy touch screen phones out right now, especially if your an app hungry consumer.. I love my torch but I'm waiting patiently for the launch of BB10...

Enjoy and Welcome to Crackberry.... We've been expecting you!
    Hater of all things APPLE.... Innovation, really? iphone = itouch with a phone, ipad = bigger itouch... give me a break!

Evaluation of awesomeness:7230, 8830 World Edition, 9800, 9860, and now a shiny new Z10 plus 2 x 32g Playbooks
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

How can they hack it, and will I be able to tell? Ive read where you can purchase a product that can install invisible to us that sincs over the air, bluetooth, etc. All they have to do is call and talk for 30 secs and it sincs w/phone. No I dont have anything to hide! Like I said we report HIPPA info. via phone calls, txts. Is there anything out there to make it stealth proof kinda like Obama and his BB. LOL
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by tg39cherokee View Post
    Just got a new Torch 9860 would like to know how to stealth proof my phone.
    I wish I could help more. A friend of mine gave me a link to an article about this issue. This one isn't it but it's similar: Government admits to spying through your cell phone - RT There have also been some reports that they (govt) also admit to be listening to your phone calls even if you have powered down your device. I'm not sure if that's true. They do this to track and/or listen in to conversations or to find suspects of organized crime or terrorists, etc. There's really no reason for them to do it to all of us unless they suspect you're doing something wrong.

As to stealth-proof your phone, the only way I'm aware of is to pull out the battery. Other than that, the govt is too powerful to restrict. As far as I know, BlackBerry devices are messages are encrypted only if you're on a BES, but on BIS very little is encrypted. BBM is encrypted, but if you're connected to an Enterprise Server, text messages, calls, are not secure.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

No Im not on an enterpriser service. Its a personal phone I use for work in Healthcare. As far as government I dont care, its clients that are creepy and should be more involved in taking care of their children instead of more interested in what we are talking abt or txting. LOL So if I take battery out does it mess anything up placing back in other than waiting for it to reboot? Which takes some time.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Undenied View Post
    I wish I could help more. A friend of mine gave me a link to an article about this issue. This one isn't it but it's similar: Government admits to spying through your cell phone - RT There have also been some reports that they (govt) also admit to be listening to your phone calls even if you have powered down your device. I'm not sure if that's true. They do this to track and/or listen in to conversations or to find suspects of organized crime or terrorists, etc. There's really no reason for them to do it to all of us unless they suspect you're doing something wrong.

As to stealth-proof your phone, the only way I'm aware of is to pull out the battery. Other than that, the govt is too powerful to restrict. As far as I know, BlackBerry devices are messages are encrypted only if you're on a BES, but on BIS very little is encrypted. BBM is encrypted, but if you're connected to an Enterprise Server, text messages, calls, are not secure.

Yes I agree with you.
    Some country still filtering call in and call out, especially in Middle-East country.
    How you want to know your call in or call out has been filtered or spying , you will received incoming voice delay in about 10 to 20 second, because with 10 - 20 second they have server who will trigger you and your partner keywords.

That what was happen in Saudi Arabia before where they have block BB services for certain period.
    9000 >>> 8520 >>> 9700 >>> 9780 >>> 9300 >>> 9360 >>> 9810 >>> 9860 >>> 9790 & 9900
    Running Hybrids OS 7 from BL Returns v3.0.0
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by tg39cherokee View Post
    No Im not on an enterpriser service. Its a personal phone I use for work in Healthcare. As far as government I dont care, its clients that are creepy and should be more involved in taking care of their children instead of more interested in what we are talking abt or txting. LOL So if I take battery out does it mess anything up placing back in other than waiting for it to reboot? Which takes some time.
    If they can't take care of their children, I seriously doubt they can hack a phone. Honestly, I think you are being paranoid. I seriously doubt any of your clients are trying to listen in on your phone, especially your text messaging. It isn't easy to do, and I doubt they came to your office or workplace equipped to do it. Relax and enjoy your phone.
    Undenied and kozmo68 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

I think i can provide an answer to you. your prob talking about that software that was used by manufacturers to help evaluate how consumers use their devices, which has led to a some controversy within the wireless industry. Thing is RIM has stated publicly if I recall correctly that they don't use or authorize such programs on their devices because it impedes on the users privacy. Also most apps like previously stated by the other crackberry members is true, you do have to be weary of what apps are installed within your BB, and what rights you give them. Reality is they won't work without those rights. i really wouldn't worry too much the OS is very secure when it comes to tampering. On the government portion I would say that this relates to the Patriots Act which gives the government the right to snoop on your phone and stuff. Thing is that they are mainly looking for criminals and or terrorists so I wouldn't worry too much about them. When it comes to consumers they have the ability as well, but unlike unsecured wifi a phone is very difficult to exploit due to the way it connects. unless they install something like an app on your phone. Again such as an app side loaded. or something like that. but your device should be preety safe. I would say keep bluetooth off only when you need to use it. That way you ensure that noone is trying to connect to it even then you would have to accept a transfer and stuff like that.. owell hopefully that helps.
    Undenied likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,139 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

I think there is need for more tinfoil in this thread.
    Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    Bobcat665 and ultra07 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

you're watching too many Tom Cruise movies...!