Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Stay with 7.1 or revert back to 7.0

Just wondering what the masses think out there. I have had both 7.0 and 7.1 loaded up on my BB 9850. I'm enjoying some of the features of 7.1 (not mobile hotspot as it costs via my carrier) but other features - but the BATTERY is HORRIBLE!! I'ts been off the charger since 6:45 and I'm already down to 50%. Had to stop what I was doing and find a charger if its going to make it until sundown.

What are others experiencing? Anyone going back to 7.0? Thanks for your feedback!! I appreciate all responses!!
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    PM me for it!

I've been running 7.1 for some time now on my 9850 and haven't noticed any additional battery drain issues. My berry comes off the charger at 6am and when I leave work around 3.30pm its usually at least 60% charged with average use. Might be worth taking a close look at your apps to see if something is draining it?
    "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" - Matthew 16:24

SpeedNotes - A fast and convenient note taking application

VitalSigns - Customizable Style for your BlackBerry 10 Device!

Visit Gray Matter Apps on the web: http://www.graymatterapps.com/
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

I'm running .205 and I haven't a battery issue with any OS upgrade. If anything, I've only had good results so far with 7.1
    Tvistedhead likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by russnash View Post
    I've been running 7.1 for some time now on my 9850 and haven't noticed any additional battery drain issues. My berry comes off the charger at 6am and when I leave work around 3.30pm its usually at least 60% charged with average use. Might be worth taking a close look at your apps to see if something is draining it?
    Thanks for the advice - I've set all apps to update on manual - not auto, or I have logged out of the app so that it can't auto update (for those without an manual option).

Mine def. has the 100-92% drop pretty much right off the charger (within 15 mins).
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mesnewberry View Post
    Mine def. has the 100-92% drop pretty much right off the charger (within 15 mins).
    I really suspect that this is a bug in the battery level API that the utilities call, rather than something happening with the battery itself. For me, the time it takes to drop from 100 to 92 varies. If there were actual drain on the battery, I wouldn't expect the reported value to always jump directly from 100 to exactly 92.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by up488 View Post
    I'm running .205 and I haven't a battery issue with any OS upgrade. If anything, I've only had good results so far with 7.1
    Thanks, but my understanding is that .205 is just for the 9850 - correct?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

.205 is available on the 9860 as well.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by up488 View Post
    .205 is available on the 9860 as well.
    Sorry I meant to say .205 was just for the 9860 not the 9850. But now I'm confused. Is it avail for both?
    CrackBerry Addict

how do you revert to 7.0
    CrackBerry User

So far the easiest way I have experienced is loading the older OS if not already loaded on your computer with the DM. I was able to choose the older OS because I last updated using DM before 7.1 and had not deleted it yet, so was able to choose it and click upgrade which then downgraded my BB from 7.1 which I had done OTA. I had issues with Vlingo bluetooth with 7.1 and use that more than the hotspot feature which is why I downgraded.
    CrackBerry Abuser

So the Hot spot feature IS included with OS 7.1 for 9860??
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by kerry6 View Post
    So the Hot spot feature IS included with OS 7.1 for 9860??
    Yes, I'm using 7.1.205 and I have hotspot available to me.

As for the original poster, have you tried 7.1.205? To me, the battery life seems on par with my previous 7.0.283 that came with my phone. I can last more than a day with my battery, I'd even go and say 2 complete days.

phone is also stable and there were even some responsive improvement with the screen that I've notice. The browser was also better (but opera still get the notch).
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

Mine does the same vzw standard ota 7.1 update.

I take it of charger 100%, one sms and 3 minutes later down to 90%.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,414 Global Posts

Get the 7.1.0.205 release battery life is amazing .. Only 3% drain for me lasts ages
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Guibs View Post
    Yes, I'm using 7.1.205 and I have hotspot available to me.

As for the original poster, have you tried 7.1.205? To me, the battery life seems on par with my previous 7.0.283 that came with my phone. I can last more than a day with my battery, I'd even go and say 2 complete days.

phone is also stable and there were even some responsive improvement with the screen that I've notice. The browser was also better (but opera still get the notch).
    I haven't, because I don't know if .205 is available for my 9850. Anyone???????
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by mervinking View Post
    Get the 7.1.0.205 release battery life is amazing .. Only 3% drain for me lasts ages
    Is .205 avail for my 9850?

Thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,901 Global Posts

Just wondering what the masses think out there. I have had both 7.0 and 7.1 loaded up on my BB 9850. I'm enjoying some of the features of 7.1 (not mobile hotspot as it costs via my carrier) but other features - but the BATTERY is HORRIBLE!! I'ts been off the charger since 6:45 and I'm already down to 50%. Had to stop what I was doing and find a charger if its going to make it until sundown.

What are others experiencing? Anyone going back to 7.0? Thanks for your feedback!! I appreciate all responses!!
    I have a 9850 on 7.1.0.163 and have the same problem. The upgrade has severely killed my battery. If I don't get a leak that fixes it before I leave for vacation the end of Feb, I may back-level to a 7.0.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,414 Global Posts

Is .205 avail for my 9850?

Thanks

Oh I thought you was 9860 my bad... Dnt think its out for 9850
    mesnewberry (01-31-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    694 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mervinking View Post
    Oh I thought you was 9860 my bad... Dnt think its out for 9850
    Yeah, 9850 only has 163 and in my opinion, it is a HORRIBLE release. Phone freezing, media player using too many system resources, causing dial pad lagging, phone calling but not hearing anything, and finally it taking forever to boot up (which has been happening for quite a few releases).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

.163 was fine on my 9850 - other than the BATTERY!! and what good is a phone if the battery is going to DIE?? I mean I was getting 53% drain or higher the first hour, then almost always over 5% every hour after that - just ridic!!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kamika007z View Post
    Yeah, 9850 only has 163 and in my opinion, it is a HORRIBLE release. Phone freezing, media player using too many system resources, causing dial pad lagging, phone calling but not hearing anything, and finally it taking forever to boot up (which has been happening for quite a few releases).

Yeh every phone has a dodgy release...your next one should be like the 9860 one ... Best one I've used
    CrackBerry User

After using 7.1 for several weeks I had to revert back to 7.0. I use the media player, Tunein, and FlyCast a lot. This posed no problem for 7.0. But when I upgraded to 7.1 I would often get a "Device Media Processor is Busy" error, which would disable my media player and other audio apps. Sometimes it would even freeze the device. Either way this problem was resolved only when I reset it.

If RIM comes out with a future update for this device I hope it will remedy this problem. It makes no sense to release updates that cause the device to be this unstable when certain common functions are used.
    CrackBerry Abuser

7.1 .205 is a great OS

i highly recommend using it
    i hate trolls
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,118 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

Hot Spot? I was excited for Hot Spot as well, as I have an old unlimited data plan. Until I learned that unlimited data doesn't count Hot Spot data. So it goes unused. Nothing else new or useful in 7.1. The device analyzer is cr*p.
    Ad Lucem

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,414 Global Posts

.163 was fine on my 9850 - other than the BATTERY!! and what good is a phone if the battery is going to DIE?? I mean I was getting 53% drain or higher the first hour, then almost always over 5% every hour after that - just ridic!!

It was like That with 585 for 9860... Surprised how they can call them “updates”