Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ups925
  • 2 Post By TangoXray
  • 1 Post By blackberry-unlocking710
  • 1 Post By ADGrant
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default So---after waiting for RIM to release the Torch...

...and now possessing one...what say ya?

Like many of you, I know I was waiting IMPATIENTLY and DESPERATELY for RIM to release this damn phone...does anyone remember their experience from day 1 of hearing news of this phone's release? Or even WAY before that when it was just in the rumor stage....MY MY MY, how long ago was that? hahaha

I remember coming on to crackberry crossing my fingers while the front page started to load, hoping to new news of this phone...first was the rumor, that was, what-a year ago? Then seeing spy shots months later...then seeing a clip of it on youtube with VZW branding...then waiting for official words....then official words came for the Bold and nothing on the Torch---HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT...then the Bold got pushed back, then the Torch got pushed back....well, not really pushed back, they were all based on rumors...then freaking Sprint released theirs...then I contemplated switching back to Sprint just to get this damn phone....I remember how slow my Bold 9650 was and DREAMING of this phone....then I finally got it...I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST....it was a beautiful moment to hold MY Torch in my hand....wow...all the waiting...the frustration...and I remember all the people on here talking about what ifs this and that...and there were some dumb predictions, and they were dumb because I was frustrated....and they were dumb because everyone is predicting the same thingg one way or another...

BUT, I have my Torch now, and I don't want to think back to the past months and year or waiting....oh my how far I've come....

and you?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

one more thing...I do want a QNX phone, and I do want to be one of the first to get it....I'm excited for it, but I don't feel as anxious as when I first heard about the Torch....
    CrackBerry Abuser

That's funny because I was the same way when I heard of the Torch getting released. I was at the point where I was considering the Motorola Photon on Sprint to get a new phone, however I really love my BB and didn't want to give up my Tour that easy. I'm looking forward to the new QNX phones also, and hopefully they get them perfected so I can start to get some more practical app choices as well. The only drawback that I see with the Torch now is the choice of apps. Love the phone!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

what you said! I felt the same way and waiting the two days for it to be shipped was agonizing! Couldnt be happier! Well I could be if my damn case would ever arrive!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,849 Global Posts

I"m afraid that ATTs lack of a release of the 9860 may drive me to the iphone 4S... #justsayin...
     @Rockdog97 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdog97 View Post
    I"m afraid that ATTs lack of a release of the 9860 may drive me to the iphone 4S... #justsayin...
    Well, they are pushing iPhone 4s phones out the door as fast as they can; why should they put any effort or expense into anything else?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

I got the 9850 on launch day. I had been feeling like I was really missing the physical keyboard but I got a chance to play with the 9930 today at Sprint. After using it for a short bit I realized how much of an improvement the larger torch screen makes. Ill eventually get used to the touch keyboard, and overall, I get much more use out of the larger screen.
    claffeeba likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,849 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    Well, they are pushing iPhone 4s phones out the door as fast as they can; why should they put any effort or expense into anything else?
    Yeah..so fast they are sold out and backordered for 3 weeks!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

I got my 9860 from a guy on evilbay. I got a Tmobile branded model form him first and it didn't work on ATT(duh) so he made it right and sent me another unbranded model(no carrier splash screen) and it works really well on ATT. It seems to be very fluid and the browser is a nice improvement from my 9800. The huge screen is great and websites and graphics look very crisp. I'm getting used to the keyboard but to me it works better than the iPhone's. This thing charges in a NY Minute with the new battery.
    My only need is a good screen protector. I ordered some of the bodyguardz's but they got all effed up during the installation process. Ive got the Otterbox Defender case on it and it adds some nice grippiness to the phone.

I say get yerself one if you get a chance!!
    They ROCK!
    Carter
    tstrike34 and black hole like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,939 Global Posts

The more ATT makes me wait, the more I think I'll wait for a QNX phone. I really want a beefed up +4" slab running QNX anyways. :/
    Lumia 1020/1520 - WP 8.1
    Nexus 7 (2013) - 4.4.4
    32GB Playbook - OS 2.1
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

Enjoy your new device
    Thanked by:
    TangoXray (10-20-2011) 
    TangoXray likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Go ahead & ask

I came "this" close to getting a Motorola Atrix, then a HTC & then 9810 all because I never thought the rumours would come true

I love this phone!

I was using a 2 year old, combat damaged 8330 and the step up to this is wicked!

Too bad they cant fix the theme builder for OS7
    Blackberry Z10 & 64 GB Playbook
    CrackBerry User

What case did you get? I may pick up this phone next week and have started looking at cases and haven't seen one i like yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by up488 View Post
    what you said! I felt the same way and waiting the two days for it to be shipped was agonizing! Couldnt be happier! Well I could be if my damn case would ever arrive!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteoutMD View Post
    What case did you get? I may pick up this phone next week and have started looking at cases and haven't seen one i like yet.
    I just got a GEL TPU SOFT SKIN HYBRID case cover off of Ebay. I didn't want something to big and bulky. It has a good grip and fits the phone nicely. Can't even tell there's a case on it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteoutMD View Post
    I think the best case available is the OEM case...you should be able to find them on ebay around $10-15...I have the pure silicone soft case (like I had with all my previous Blackberries), but it just doesn't work as well with a touchscreen phone...I had purchased another TPU case, but there are cut outs where the side buttons and the top button are, and being as flimsy as those side buttons are already, I was afraid I might break them or something, and as far as the hole for the top button, I've had past experiences with that. Somehow after awhile, the button will crack and chip....

So, the best case I think is the OEM TPU soft case...it's so thin that it doesn't add any bulk to the phone, and it wraps around to thin in the front that it doesn't interfere with the touchscreen...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

I have an Incipio case which minimalistic and the least compromising to the sculpture of the phone. However 99% of the time I don't use any case at all be becasue the phone feels so good without it. I use an invisishield and that's it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

I'd prefer to not use a case either because like you said, it feels so good without one but we must, to protect our babies! Lol

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    334C9480

The 9850 is leaps and bounds better than my S1 and S2.

For me, its the perfect stop gap until the QNX comes out. If that phone knocks my socks off then I'll gladly pick that one up at retail price since I'm not leaving VZW and I already used up my loyal customer reward with this one.

Love this phone though, regardless of QNX.
    Sent from my Atari 2600, in the back of my van, down by the river...

Storm /Storm2 .1015 /9850 7.1.0.861 /Z10 10.2.0.1725 /Z30 10.2.1.1055
    Playbook-16GB & 64GB
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by NinerJet9 View Post
    I have an Incipio case which minimalistic and the least compromising to the sculpture of the phone. However 99% of the time I don't use any case at all be becasue the phone feels so good without it. I use an invisishield and that's it.

I've been a fan of the Incipio "feather" cases which I've used for years on my Storm but they cracked easily. I went through 3 of them but at least they're lifetime warranty. I honestly would've bought one for my Torch but they weren't available yet when I bought my phone so I ended up buying a BB Hardcase which I admit is pretty good and feels durable. But, I prefer the material of the Incipio though bc the BB case feels slippery in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by up488 View Post
    I'd prefer to not use a case either because like you said, it feels so good without one but we must, to protect our babies! Lol

Go w/the BB hard case or Incipio as I mentioned above, I don't notice the case when I'm holding my phone.

But yeah, I've been waiting for this phone for a very long time. I can't believe I used my Storm 1 from Dec '08 to Sep '11. If this phone didn't come out when it did, I would've been a Droid user right now. I do love my phone A LOT but it would be almost perfect mine didn't often freeze temporarily, leak memory to the point where I reboot daily, and the typing on the virtual keyboard can be better. Still, I wouldn't trade my phone for anything else.
    CrackBerry Genius

I love the 9850... It is essentially what i was wanting when i had the s1 (and later s2)... but without the surepress which caused more trouble than it was worth, and a real processor AND a gpu... This was actually a job well done. I use my 9850 with pride.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

What about the 9860 appeals to you over whate the 4s offers (or even 4).
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,849 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    What about the 9860 appeals to you over whate the 4s offers (or even 4).
    I like the size of the 9860 screen compared with my 9700. The whole touch-screen is a big plus.. I'll have to get used to an all touch screen keyboard, but that's cool. I like the higher resolution screen.

What I dont like after playing with the 4S- the touch screen of the 9860 seems "sticky" compared to the glass screen of the 4S.. The 9860 icons are, well the same icons - at least the 4S looks different to me...but I guess I could say the same thing about the iphone icons in a couple of years...

The OS of the 4S just seems to fly. quick and fast. The 9860, while a lot faster that what I was used to with the 9700, just didn't seem as fast as the 4S.

I think I have resolved myself to giving the 4S a try for 2 years... not saying I'll never come back to BB, but for me, it's time for a change.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

I like the size of the 9860 screen compared with my 9700. The whole touch-screen is a big plus.. I'll have to get used to an all touch screen keyboard, but that's cool. I like the higher resolution screen.

What I dont like after playing with the 4S- the touch screen of the 9860 seems "sticky" compared to the glass screen of the 4S.. The 9860 icons are, well the same icons - at least the 4S looks different to me...but I guess I could say the same thing about the iphone icons in a couple of years...

The OS of the 4S just seems to fly. quick and fast. The 9860, while a lot faster that what I was used to with the 9700, just didn't seem as fast as the 4S.

I think I have resolved myself to giving the 4S a try for 2 years... not saying I'll never come back to BB, but for me, it's time for a change.
    I love the keyboard of the 9900 but the overall superiority of the iPhone is hard to ignore. Unless you need BES, its hard for me to understand why anyone would pick a 9860 over a 4s (or 4).
    Rockdog97 likes this.