Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FDAAA0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Red-headed stepchild?

Anyone else feel like the Torch 98xx is Blackberry's red-headed stepchild? Just judging from the forums, commercials, retailers, etc., this phone has very little support behind it.

I was actually in my local corporate Sprint store exchanging my phone due to peeling buttons and a long time employee actually told me he had only sold three 9850's (one was to me on launch day).

What's everyone's thoughts on the success of this phone so far?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

kinda feel the same way as you, haven't had a full week yet, but actually for me it is good.

forces me get use to the virtual keyboard but it still has the bb button and back button

both worlds???
    CrackBerry Master

Shoot, see any threads on this site about VZN support of the 9850's "official" release ? RIM could not sell firewater to American Indians, this for an amazing device. I WILL give them kudos on the name "TORCH", as in carrying the torch. Sometimes I wonder for what.

Getting a 64 gb playbook to keep from getting bored.

Would like to see TB support for OS7.

As a practicing nuclear physicist I am used to being in the dark and doing things that are like 9 standard deviations away from most folks.

What would doom RIM: loss of system security.

Doc Neutron
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FDAAA0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I would like to know the actual sale numbers of this device across all carriers. I'm thinking this may end up being the lowest selling Blackberry, IMO.

On a side note, I'm actually enjoying the phone for the most part.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

I have the 9850 and am loving it. After the S1 and S2 I think there is hesitation for carriers to make a big deal. Too bad though bc RIM finally nailed it with this device. They do need to get the 7.1 build out there on VzW as it has been flawless for me.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

I love my 9860!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I bought two and these 9850's work great. But I'm still dreaming of a bb10 phone.
    Blackberry 9850 running .7.1.0.163
    Go Cowboys
    Go Rangers
    Go Mavs
    Go Stars
    Lets party CB style!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

It's the Storm heritage.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default Redheaded stepchild

I agree. I have a 9860 and simply love it. RIM doesn't promote this device properly, if at all. It's a real shame.
    Ebscer

From a development standpoint the 9850/9860 is an outlier. The ratio of the screen size is off from every other device, and for the most part (in my apps at least) this leads to wasted space.

That said, this phone will be well supported, and is closer to the PlayBook then anything else is. And it is far more popular then the 9100/9105 or the 9670 ever were...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,173 Global Posts

I agree RIM is not marketing it, most of my friends did not realize RIM has an all-new touch screen phone and ask me what Android maker is it?

Also when I purchased it the sales rep said BB devices are used for the physical keyboard. If you want all touch get an Android argument.

Hopefully it's better marketed in the new year. I enjoy my 9860.
    Evolution of Communication: Rotary Phone > Dial Tone > Motorola Walkie-talkie > Nokia 2160 > Nokia 6190 > Samsung a460 > Samsung a920 > BB 8700 > BB 9530 > BB 9860 > PlayBook > Z10 > HTC One X+>Z30
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FDAAA0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

I agree with most of you. This really is a good phone and in my opinion, might be the best Blackberry to date (again, my opinion). Aside from the few build quality issues, which I think are not widespread, it appears to be a solid phone.

I guess the reason I posted the thread was because I was/am shocked at the disinterest.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

I currently own the 9930 and I feel like I can chime in on this convo. I've been shopping phones for my wife and had the 9850 in my hands and I have to say that if it wasn't for the addicting keyboard on the Bold I'd probably go for this sexy phone. the screen was beautiful and the touch response was better on it than the bold. But lack of advertising is definitely its biggest competitor.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Please contact.

Love my 9860. Great for games, sexy for images, and fantastic for browsing.

Only real problem I have is that sometimes the buttons don't respond. Sometimes the call button doesn't open the phone or pick up the call. Sometimes the back button doesn't go back and the BlackBerry button doesn't open the menu. There are tricks to get the last two to work, like pressing the call and BlackBerry buttons at the same time, but it gets really tiresome.

But perhaps what I hate most is how blantly obvious it is that this phone is RIM's secomd favourite child. The bold got a metal bezel, the 9860 got a plastic one. The bold got a nice glass screen, and the 9860 got a plastic one. Its like RIM went "hmmm... BlackBerry users won't buy many touchscreen devices so there's no point in putting a lot of effort behind it."

Just my $0.02
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by El Platanero View Post
    I currently own the 9930 and I feel like I can chime in on this convo. I've been shopping phones for my wife and had the 9850 in my hands and I have to say that if it wasn't for the addicting keyboard on the Bold I'd probably go for this sexy phone. the screen was beautiful and the touch response was better on it than the bold. But lack of advertising is definitely its biggest competitor.
    I got a 9930 and 9850 from Radio Shack on VZW. The Bold for myself and I upgraded my Mrs from a Storm 1. Trying to transfer over her Storm data BRICKED the first Torch. RS shipped a new one and we are not transfering the old info. We love both!!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kam2958 View Post
    kinda feel the same way as you, haven't had a full week yet, but actually for me it is good.

forces me get use to the virtual keyboard but it still has the bb button and back button

both worlds???
    worst of both worlds???
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    290E2B46

As an owner of a 9900, i cant say i would ever trade ANY phone in the world for this baby, but i did pick up a torch 9850 at verizon the other day and i did like the size/feel of the device.
    As for promoting devices, there arnt enough stores that have a live bb device running for show. They always have like 5 androids sitting in the middle of the store for u to play with, but never any bb's. I had never been able to play with os7 until receiving my bold. I think if carriers started just puting up a live device for people to see and touch, they might be suprised at how great and responsive these phones are.
    Banned

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

I think the 9850 Torch is Blackberries most modern and its best chance to attract new users. However they continue to support old fashioned appearing Phones like the Bold which only reinforces that Blackberry is out of date and old. New users want sleek touchscreen phones. Blackberry is making a huge mistake not advertising the Torch. The Bold will only sink them further.
    CrackBerry Addict

The day the Torch showed up, weight aside, I couldnt justify to myself getting an all touch phone.
    The Torch has the screen real estate and the keyboard.
    Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.
    - Albert Einstein
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I have said this before, BlackBerry will never make a transition to full-touch success. Not at this point.

BlackBerry is reknowned for its full qwerty physical keyboards. Always has been, always will be. The fact their first alleged BB10 phone is going to be full-touch is absolutely embarassing. If we were privy to numbers of units sold, I would wager money on the numbers of BB10 phones sold compared to 9850/60's sold to be within 10% of eachother. And given the fail of the 9850 (in retrospect to competition, obv at least 6 people here love it), that will not save RIM.

RIM should have had a 9930'esk device out at least 2yrs ago...would have kept tons of Bold 9000 users on ATT from jumping to an iPhone when their 9000 was an antique and they had no real option, besides downsizing to a 9700 with equally subpar components for its time.

Just my opinion. I'm hoping US Cellular gets 9930 before RIM sells off it patents and leaves the consumer market, Cuz that 9850 experiment was painful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,934 Global Posts

I thought the style was the redheaded stepchild?

I guess I would've got the bold if uscell had it because I have a playbook for the larger screen. The phone is a nice phone however but I think there are many more button bb fans then there are all touch bb fans.

Now the ones who are not a bb fan who knows how it would appeal to them if they were able to play with a live unit. My guess is we probably won't know because of all the bad constant news about RIM they won't even bother to look at it. They sure won't when the reps always steer people to iphones and androids.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    PIN
    Yes I have one

I got the 9860 for myself and my fiancee got the 9850. I was coming from the Torch 9800 and she had the Storm 2 (9550). My fiancee was a keyboard lover until her Tour died and VZW told her they were out of the device and they "upgraded" her to the 9550. He hated it for the first few days. She eventually got used to the touchscreen and could use the physical keyboard on my 9800 Torch. I liked having both physical and virtual. The one thing I was concerned about was having a trackpad with the touch screen. Once I saw the review here on the 9850?60 I knew I just need to play with one to make a final decision. That was the hard part. I went to 4 stores before a VZW store actually had a working model fr me to play with. As soon as I did I was hooked! I had already played with a 9900 that a co-worked got and then my Manager got one for me to put on our BES. It was impressive but I wanted that bigger screen. I was slightly concerned about the NFC thing but I realized that is almost unused in the US right now anyway. By the time it is I will be ready to upgrade anyway. My fiance and I love our phones. they are amazingly fast and very responsive. The VZW one does have an issue with with freezing on incoming calls from time to time but I'm sure that can be fixed with a software update or just removing some the excess languages from her device. The only complaint i have is the battery life. Its not what I'm used to from a blackberry but it still beats out every other device I see. I work in IT as a mobility support person so I do get to see quite a few.
    Bold 9900 - work / HTC One S - work
    Torch 9860 - personal
    PlayBook - FUN!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vandeleigh View Post
    I have said this before, BlackBerry will never make a transition to full-touch success. Not at this point.

BlackBerry is reknowned for its full qwerty physical keyboards. Always has been, always will be.
    Then they better just pack up and leave the US market because those old fashioned qwerty keyboard phones will not attract new US users that are being bombarded by sleek high powered touch screen devices. The new Bold might as well have a rotary dial on it since that is how most smart phone users view it. Touch screen and large eco system is the only way RIM will make it in the USA. If they refuse they will hold on to the third world market for a while until apple and Android flood those markets and they become irrelevant everywhere.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,849 Global Posts
    PIN
    If you ask

The OP and others are correct. There is a general lack of support for OS7 and due to the screen resolution the 9850/9860 in particular.
    But the device is not selling not due to a lack of advertising but because although it may be one of the best BBS its not atop level device and a user will have to pay t cost for it, just as if they were getting a dual core handheld with 4g a frontt facing camera and a whole lot of applications. Not too mention the plastic screen and body and as has been noted frequently one of the least user friendly virtual keyboards ever made.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    333bc686

Blackberry keeps dropping the ball when it comes to possibly gaining more customers from USA. No advertising at all for either the 9850/9860 or 9900/9930. No VZ store around me has the 9850 on the show floor. Unless you follow blackberry or mobile phones you wouldn't even know this phone existed (like someone mentioned earlier).

The 9850 is a great phone and BB needs to advertise them and show why someone should get it. We're just starting to see the ads because of the 100 million BB is going to use on marketing in the USA.

Poor marketing by blackberry all around. Verizon isn't doing much to help it at all.

Remember when the storm 1 came out and all the commercials you saw during the world series???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast