CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default POS battery life on the 9850?

Does anyone else's battery drain as fast as mine? All i use is slacker, browser, and sometimes facebook. Every morning I drive to school while listening to Slacker for about 20 minutes. Then in class today I used the browser for maybe half an hour. I unplugged my phone from the charge at 7 am and by 9:30 am it was at 15%. It is not my battery or my phone (i don't think so anyway). I am on software 7.1.0.580 on Sprint. The other day I downgraded to 7.1.3xx and the battery lasted the whole entire day using five times as much power! There were too many problems with the OS though so I downgraded once again to 7.1.0.2xx and there were even more problems.

The only downgrade left was to 7.0 which is a no no for me. So two days ago I re-upgraded to 7.1.0.580 (this is all through desktop manager), and i deleted all unused apps and useless files. All i have left is calendars, memos, messages/emails, slacker, pandora, facebook, blackberry protect, blackberry traffic, blackberry app world, shazam encore, and screen muncher. I have like 150 mb of empty app storage and over 3 gigs of memory-card memory and i think the same amount of on-bound memory so memory is not an issue and the apps are not an issue. Why does this POS drain so much i am about to throw it out my bedroom window because i have to charge it 3 times a day, and this is with battery saver mode on. I cant imagine how long it could possibly last without battery saver.

The only possible upgrade I found is for 7.1.0.649 from China Telecom, which I read from others is very buggy and I don't need anymore bugs. What should I do? I am not going to delete everything and reload the software because iv'e done that too many times for this device, and I have no idea how to do the bbsack or whatever os-shrink thing... Any other suggestions? And trying to get a new device from Sprint is out of the question because I am passed the year warranty, as if it makes a difference anyway because why would they give me a new phone?

Rant over...
    Time Lord

Global Posts
    10,362 Global Posts

Default Re: POS battery life on the 9850?

Do yourself a favor and get a new battery to test out. I realize you said it wasn't the battery but you followed it up with "(i don't think so anyway)"... You're ranting about the phone but you've not yet killed off all the plausible scenarios. Batteries choke -- it happens. Only one way to find out if that is the case and I assure you, it's not by posting a long winded rant here. You can even try calling Sprint and see if they will send you one for free, I dunno abt U.S. carriers but Rogers has done it for me.
    “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Smartwatch Fans]
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I also mentioned that when I downgraded the battery was perfectly fine but the software had problems. I think that there is a problem with the latest official software that affects the battery. My purpose of the rant was to let fellow users know exactly what is going on with my phone to see if theirs have similar problems.

Thank you for your suggestion though, I will see what I can do about a new battery.
    CrackBerry Abuser

My 9850 doesn't have this problem and I have tons more apps on my phone. The only one you have on your list that could cause a huge problem is Facebook. Go into the options and make sure it isn't updating constantly (the default). Set it for every 3 hours. You didn't list a weather app, but if you have one, set it for less than constant updating too. I highly recommend you install QuickPull (free app) and configure it to reset your phone each night. Refreshes the phone when you wake each morning. My phone lasts the full day plus some.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Default POS battery life on the 9850?

Please don't throw the phone. Its a waste of energy, its a tank and it won't break. Anyway, buy a new battery should resolve your matter or trade it in. Don't hurt that engineering

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    Thanks For Reading My Post
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Sir Glaurung the Great

If the 7.1.xxxxx update is what you are using, make sure you have mobile hotspot turned off. That was the reason for 7.1.xxxx was to get mobile hotspot out (and more money for all and Big Red).

I had the same exact issue afew months ago. I went back to 7.0.xxxx and all is gold and working well.

I also have quick pull and meterberry. I have really never used quick pull (except when I mistakenly updated to the 7.1.xxxx). Meter berry monitors the hourly power usage of your phone.

C
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

Another thing to note would be to use the in-built battery meter to monitor your battery drain. That may help you analyze when and why the battery drains so fast.
    Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
    Will the sunrise of tomorrow bring in peace in any way?
    Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?
    Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?

-- Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Ok so I did what you suggested and changed the facebook thing to 3 hours and downloaded quickpull and have it set to restart at 3 AM every morning. And i also have battery saver mode turned on. Iv'e had it like this for a couple days and it's been a little better. This morning i unplugged my phone at 7 AM and it is now 10 26 PM and i have 16% battery left, which is WAYY better than it was before, but this is with very VERY light use. Thank you for your help though! Any other suggestions??
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare21 View Post
    Another thing to note would be to use the in-built battery meter to monitor your battery drain. That may help you analyze when and why the battery drains so fast.
    This version doesn't have device analyzer, I have no clue why. And how can you tell why it drains fast based on the monitor thing?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin-13 View Post
    This version doesn't have device analyzer, I have no clue why. And how can you tell why it drains fast based on the monitor thing?
    It isn't activated by default. You will need to go to Options > Keep pressing the Alt key and also push B+B+D+A to activate the device analyzer. Back out of the menu all the way and then jump back in to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > BB Device Analyzer.

In the DA, you can run battery tests to monitor your battery consumption.

CrackBerry User

I think there might be something to what you say about 580. Its not that big a deal yet for me, so I'm not wasting time figuring it out. I just had a weird issue when we went to Legoland Sunday. Within two hours battery went from full charge to 22% with nearly no usuage. Nothing was running. Did a battery pull as we were walking through the front gate. My wife's EVO lasted all day.

I've had recent problems with the battery meter showing 100% all day once I pulled it off the charger, that was the reason for the battery pull and the upgrade to 580. So, I really might need a new battery since the 100% still happens occasionally, but I've had great battery life all day usually. First time, though, that I wasn't near a charger when I needed one and it made me wonder.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare21 View Post
    It isn't activated by default. You will need to go to Options > Keep pressing the Alt key and also push B+B+D+A to activate the device analyzer. Back out of the menu all the way and then jump back in to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > BB Device Analyzer.

In the DA, you can run battery tests to monitor your battery consumption.
    Wow that would have been useful months ago! I always saw it in the applications and wondered why I couldn't use it so thanx! However, I've used it before and I know how it works and all but it doesn't really tell you WHY it drains so much, it just tells you WHEN it does. So (hypothetically) what if it says you're draining a high 5.64%/hr when you have barely used it that hour?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    K Ink Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin-13 View Post
    Wow that would have been useful months ago! I always saw it in the applications and wondered why I couldn't use it so thanx! However, I've used it before and I know how it works and all but it doesn't really tell you WHY it drains so much, it just tells you WHEN it does. So (hypothetically) what if it says you're draining a high 5.64%/hr when you have barely used it that hour?
    It does help to rule out alternatives for the battery drain; like having the 'berry searching for cellular network and such.