Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default New Blackberrys Minus 4G? What the HE_ _

Would have been really nice to have these new units on a 4G network. Oh well, maybe next time....
    Last edited by jcorsino; 08-08-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: To many typoos....:-)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    PIN
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by jcorsino View Post
    Does anyone understand this? Why would they put out such awesome devices and not make them 4G? Is it me or does it seem that each new RIM device is lacking a key component? I dont know, so many of us have been waiting, patiently I might add, for these new devices and here they are finally and without the 4G speeds.

Anyone... Anyone?
    Because RIM needed to get these phones out as soon as possible (especially before QNX) otherwise it would have been almost 1.5 years between a new phone release, which for them is too long and would fuel the "RIM is dying" media tagline going on.

Further, and probably more likely, the issue with true (well, as true as you can be) 4G (think LTE) is that it currently requires a different chipset. This means more space is needed in the phone alongside the fact that a different radio stack needs to be written. All of this incorporated into the phone.

More importantly on this note is that the current chipsets are horrendous at battery life. Some early reviews of Motorola's Photon 4G says the battery life is pretty good on 3G; switch to 4G and you'll drain it in a few hours. Now, while some Android users have gotten use to dragging a charger around with them everywhere, many BlackBerry owners pride themselves in having a phone that lasts them 1-2 days full use without charge.

Finally, coverage. Verizon is the only one with LTE coverage popping up....AT&T doesn't offer it yet and Sprint's would require a separate WiMax chipset.

So in short:

- Rushed to get the phones out so lack of time to properly code and test 4G chips
    - Separate chipset needed so space constraints
    - Battery Life is currently horrible
    - Coverage just isn't there yet

I'd expect the QNX phones in Q1 2012 to have LTE as by that time, Verizon should light up 4G networks over a good portion of their network and AT&T should have a good portion of their network covered as well. Further, I hope the extensive testing along with integrated chipsets of 3G/4G coming later this year will lead to a good QNX 4G phone that still gets good battery life.

iPhone 4S - 5.0.1
    BlackBerry Torch 9800 - 6.0.0.600
    BlackBerry Curve 8900 - 5.0.0.461
    BlackBerry PlayBook - 1.0.8.6067
    jfs101 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,483 Global Posts

LTE is immature now and so are the chipsets. You have to run two radios at the same time or manually switch. Rim will support LTE when it is more universal. Apple isn't supporting LTE now for same reasons.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,215 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    LTE is immature now and so are the chipsets. You have to run two radios at the same time or manually switch. Rim will support LTE when it is more universal. Apple isn't supporting LTE now for same reasons.
    Plus it's not even near everywhere yet.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

Meh.

Considering most of the U.S. doesn't even have 3g outside of major cities, I'm not too worried about it.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    tkrobinson likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Qill tip please

Umm I thought they were 4G?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    PIN
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyg164 View Post
    Umm I thought they were 4G?

Define 4G.

True 4G as based on the protocols? No one has it.

4G as in LTE? No, the BlackBerry is not 4G.

4G as in marketing 4G as in 3.75G as in HSPA+ which is based on the 3GPP protocols? Yes, the BlackBerry supports HSPA+ up to 14.4 Mb/s

iPhone 4S - 5.0.1
    BlackBerry Torch 9800 - 6.0.0.600
    BlackBerry Curve 8900 - 5.0.0.461
    BlackBerry PlayBook - 1.0.8.6067
    Thanked by 2:
    chiefbroski (08-08-2011),  LewLew23 (08-09-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Great summary by soccernamlak about the issues with LTE. I have an LTE hotspot the Samsung SCH-LC11 and the stock 1500 mAh battery only gets 3-4 hours of life in testing by CNET, PCMag and Laptopmag. I got the optional huge extended 4800 mAh battery and it lasts less than 11 hours. This is a hotspot running LTE and wireless n with no screen and no apps. LTE is a huge drain on battery life not to mention that it is way spottier reception than 3g. Hopefully newer devices improve on these issues.g

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,684 Global Posts

if rim did lte they could not roll out 225 carriers at the same time because a lot of countries are still on 2g/3g and no point making the majority of your customres over pay for something they wont use
    chiefbroski likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Did anyone else read the article discussing how quickly 4G users will run up against the data cap? Stream a few tv shows or a couple of movies and you're there. Anyway, QNX will be here by the time 4G hits smaller urban areas like mine, and I'm baffled by people who want to watch cinema on a tiny screen. Guess I just don't get it.

Global Posts
    10,494 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

They're 4G on AT&T
    I hope too many people aren't fooled by that.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

I didn't think there was ever a chance of these releases on 4g. I'm surprised to have read curve 4g was being considered.
    CrackBerry User

There is no TRUE 4G, NO chipset exists that meets the 4G specs!

LTE is NOT 4G, it is marketed as 4G, just like the AT&T HSPA+ 4G.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,009 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soccernamlak View Post
    Define 4G.

True 4G as based on the protocols? No one has it.

4G as in LTE? No, the BlackBerry is not 4G.

4G as in marketing 4G as in 3.75G as in HSPA+ which is based on the 3GPP protocols? Yes, the BlackBerry supports HSPA+ up to 14.4 Mb/s

This guy sums up everything you need to know, and yes, BB users do pride themselves on having a PHONE. Before smartphones, cell phones would last DAYS without charging, and that was the norm, now that Android has come into play, people feel its normal to carry a extra battery, charger, or extended battery with their phones.

Not everyone has patience, but its a good trait to have.

A rushed phone will forever be bad, but a delayed phone will eventually be good.

So when Rim (and Apple) work out the size and battery life issues of 4G, they will start to put them into their phones. Then, once carriers get 4G networks that will help too. Remember, RIM is a WORLD PHONE Maker.

I am in France, and a lot of places here don't have 3G, plain and simple. Back when I was in Detroit, 3G was just about everywhere except northern parts of Michigan.
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,600 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

AT&T is 3.5G if you are sitting on one of their towers.
    jonathon.94 likes this.

Global Posts
    32,145 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

Quote Originally Posted by soccernamlak View Post
    Finally, coverage. Verizon is the only one with LTE coverage popping up....AT&T doesn't offer it yet andSprint's would require a separate WiMax chipset.
    In addition, Sprint has reconsidered, and is going to carry forward and use LTE as well. Without having the same "4G" network system, they would have serious problems in negotiations with other carriers on Roaming contracts. WiMax will be the BetaMax of "4G".

CrackBerry Abuser

People are getting too caught up in these titles, 3G 4G 5G, doesn't matter what marketing people call them, you're getting much better speeds than previous generations on these new blackberries without burning through your battery, seriously, i used the browser on the 9900 and it's extremely satisfying.
    Bold 9900, Curve 9300-work, Playbook 64GB, New iPad 16GB, Bold 9000-retired
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing View Post
    In addition, Sprint has reconsidered, and is going to carry forward and use LTE as well. Without having the same "4G" network system, they would have serious problems in negotiations with other carriers on Roaming contracts. WiMax will be the BetaMax of "4G".
    Moral of the story... don't use "Max" in your trademark name?

CrackBerry Master

PIN
    T? Yes, please.

Let's not forget that RIM's market is not just a small corner of the planet that claims to have "4G". Foregoing that "4G" is not actually 4G. Most of the world markets will not be upgrading their systems for some time to come. If they produce smartphones that are global capable, "4G" means nothing.
    Still a faithful Blackberry follower!
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Craterz View Post
    Let's not forget that RIM's market is not just a small corner of the planet that claims to have "4G". Foregoing that "4G" is not actually 4G. Most of the world markets will not be upgrading their systems for some time to come. If they produce smartphones that are global capable, "4G" means nothing.
    Let's see, would you like to have the "fake" 4G (LTE) that everyone likes to bash as not real, or continue with what you currently have?

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Ithasbegun View Post
    Let's see, would you like to have the "fake" 4G (LTE) that everyone likes to bash as not real, or continue with what you currently have?

Until we get the next generation of mobile radios I would say no I didn't want LTE, you pay too high a price for the higher speed and if I want higher speeds thats what my home connection is for.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    Until we get the next generation of mobile radios I would say no I didn't want LTE, you pay too high a price for the higher speed and if I want higher speeds thats what my home connection is for.
    Higher price? I pay the same price as everyone else. And the home connection is fantastic... wait for it... when your at home.

CrackBerry Genius

Sorry, the too high a price I was talking about was the shockingly bad battery life when you use it.

My point about using higher speeds at home if I need them is that my usage patterns simply don't include anything where I would need fast than 3g or hspa speeds which are plenty fast enough for browsing, streaming etc. which would be the more data intensive things I would do as I am not going to start major downloads, torrents or anything like that on my mobile connection.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts

I do agree that LTE is too fast for blackberrys and is a major vampire on the battery which is the last thing any blackberry user wants. But I do think that we could use faster speeds (or at least on verizon anyways). Our power went out earlier so I was stuck on 3g vs. my 2.6mbps wifi connection. On the 3g youtube videos were horrible quality and buffered every 30 seconds or so. On wifi it buffers about every min. to min. and a half.

I heard that other networks have faster 3g speeds, so why do we still have crippled speeds on verizon?
    CrackBerry User

The new BlackBerry's support HSDPA cat.10 & HSUPA cat.6, this means HSPA @ 14.4 Mbit/s donw & 5.76 Mbit/s up. This is HSPA, 3GPP rel.6.
    HSPA+ is 3GPP rel.7, where HSDPA has been upgraded to cat.13 at least (17.6 Mbit/s down) & commonly deployed as cat.14 (21.1 Mbit/s).
    The new BlackBerries are HSPA, not HSPA+.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast