Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    41,888 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #26  

Quote Originally Posted by molson0 View Post
    Ya , come on fedex, I really need soemone to test this 9850/60 theme :-)

:-D
    Ain't that the truth. You know I planned on sending you a bbm the minute I have things set up right?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Reading your first post in this thread reminded me of days spent thinking about which one to buy. As it turns out, we both chose the 9850/9860. Happy for you, Hamsterwheel!

Good luck with your new baby! Hope it arrives sooner than expected!

Global Posts
    41,888 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #28  

Guess what just arrived a day early
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterwheel View Post
    woohoo. 'grats.

Hope you love it. I'm sure you will.

check back with us and let us know how it's going.

Also, I have a thread floating around here on how to get a few older (but great) storm apps on the 9850.

Including the best flashlight app ever, weather bug, and more.

Have fun.

Global Posts
    41,888 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #30  

Quote Originally Posted by bobaloo View Post
    woohoo. 'grats.

Hope you love it. I'm sure you will.

check back with us and let us know how it's going.

Also, I have a thread floating around here on how to get a few older (but great) storm apps on the 9850.

Including the best flashlight app ever, weather bug, and more.

Have fun.
    Thanks

I wasn't expecting it, so I still have to do back-up of my Bold and then I can restore what I want to. Or should I use device switch? I heard/read that doesn't always work?

Now where is the SureType setting?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Great!!! Congratulations!! Do share your experiences with it. Have fun with your new "baby"!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'd suggest starting fresh and avoiding the device switch. That's what I did. I know some early adopters had some problems with their phones (can't remember what off the top of my head) and they attributed it to a few possibilities, one of which was the device swap. Of course, with OS updates, it may all be okay by now.

But make sure you do your backup. You should backup your third-party apps also. Either by using BBSAK or another method of your choice (Let me know if you need help on that).

Then once your new device is up and running, I'd selectively restore the backed up items you want to move from your old device to the new (I'm talking data files, not apps).

SureType can be toggled on the fly anytime the keyboard is up in portrait mode. Press the menu button, look for "Enable Reduced Keyboard" and select it. If SureType is up already, the entry will be "Enable Full Keyboard." But to change the default, you can go to Options>Typing and Language>Keyboard>Portrait Keyboard Type. Select "reduced."

Global Posts
    41,888 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #33  

Alright. I'm all set up I think. Still have some bw and battex skins that I need to move over, but that's no rush.

As for the upgrade to 7.1, never happened. I tried and tried and apploader would not detect it. I deleted vendor file, deleted all old OS from pc, deleted 7.1, reinstalled...everything. I've upgraded os before so not like I don't know what I'm doing. BB Hybrids recognized it, I shrunk the os, and still apploader would not see it.
    Oh well.

Now for the phone itself. Big change from the Bold. lol. Landscape typing is not so bad, and with Portrait Gonna take awhile I can tell. The screen is awesome. Don't know what I would do without the track pad and back button. Overall I like it so far.

One question. In email (or anywhere else for that matter) how do I select multiple msg? Say if I want to delete a few msg at a time? Or in FMP if I need to select several files at once

And did anyone have issues with QL? It installed fine and worked ok, but then all of a suddden it asked for the keycode again (which I already registered) and when I enter it again it says invalid. Am I missing something?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Alright. I'm all set up I think. Still have some bw and battex skins that I need to move over, but that's no rush.

As for the upgrade to 7.1, never happened. I tried and tried and apploader would not detect it. I deleted vendor file, deleted all old OS from pc, deleted 7.1, reinstalled...everything. I've upgraded os before so not like I don't know what I'm doing. BB Hybrids recognized it, I shrunk the os, and still apploader would not see it.
    Oh well.

Now for the phone itself. Big change from the Bold. lol. Landscape typing is not so bad, and with Portrait Gonna take awhile I can tell. The screen is awesome. Don't know what I would do without the track pad and back button. Overall I like it so far.

One question. In email (or anywhere else for that matter) how do I select multiple msg? Say if I want to delete a few msg at a time? Or in FMP if I need to select several files at once

And did anyone have issues with QL? It installed fine and worked ok, but then all of a suddden it asked for the keycode again (which I already registered) and when I enter it again it says invalid. Am I missing something?
    Believe it or not, there are oftentimes two vendor files that need to be deleted. I don't remember the exact path of the two files, though. Sorry. But you can search for them and Windows will find them in a minute or two. Once you delete the second one, you should have no problem installing.

use two fingers to select multipe messages, everthing in between (inclusive) will be highlight. hold your thumb/finger on any one of the highlighted messages for a pop-up menu of options.

I don't use QL, so I can't help with that. The only thing i can think of is it may be possible that the keycode is related to your PIN, but I don't know if that's accurate or if that would affect the registration.

Global Posts
    41,888 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #35  

Believe it or not, there are oftentimes two vendor files that need to be deleted. I don't remember the exact path of the two files, though. Sorry. But you can search for them and Windows will find them in a minute or two. Once you delete the second one, you should have no problem installing.

use two fingers to select multipe messages, everthing in between (inclusive) will be highlight. hold your thumb/finger on any one of the highlighted messages for a pop-up menu of options.

I don't use QL, so I can't help with that. The only thing i can think of is it may be possible that the keycode is related to your PIN, but I don't know if that's accurate or if that would affect the registration.
    yeah, I did a search on the pc for any other vendor files but no luck. I'm going to live with what I have for now (although I so hate all this crap they push to the phone - I'm so used to shrinking it all out).

Thanks for the selecting tips. I do like this phone. And the typing is getting easier. Just a tad, lol. Day two, so not so bad. Still, I do miss the keyboard. So, we shall see.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I know how you feel about the virtual keyboard. I got the storm when it came out and it didn't work for me so I ended up switching to the Tour (which I had an amazing run with :-) . Now I have the 9930 which might have the best keyboard ever. Between ATT and VZ, VZ is a clear winner for me cause I worked corporate for both of them. The service is a lot better from my experience even in a big market like NY. If you are getting a great deal though I can see how it would be a tough decision.

Have you looked into the difference in Data packages for both companies?

I still have my BB unlimited which I am not getting rid of but I hear everybody is capping data now.
    Unlock Your Blackberry in 60 Seconds for Just $10 at www.RimUnlock.com

Global Posts
    41,888 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #37  

Quote Originally Posted by RimUnlock View Post
    I know how you feel about the virtual keyboard. I got the storm when it came out and it didn't work for me so I ended up switching to the Tour (which I had an amazing run with :-) . Now I have the 9930 which might have the best keyboard ever. Between ATT and VZ, VZ is a clear winner for me cause I worked corporate for both of them. The service is a lot better from my experience even in a big market like NY. If you are getting a great deal though I can see how it would be a tough decision.

Have you looked into the difference in Data packages for both companies?

I still have my BB unlimited which I am not getting rid of but I hear everybody is capping data now.
    Hey,
    Yes I've checked the data packages....And for my needs, ATT wins on the pricing for that (with our corporate discount)... I can get 2gb for $18.75 where i don't think verizon discounts data packages.

Service here is not an issue. I know people that have att and like it fine. My hubs has spotty service in his building and we have verizon. Maybe that's why his company switched to Att? But, I've never had an issue with VZW. At all. It's been great as far as service goes.

So, I will give this phone some time. If I truly can not get used to it, we shall see, lol
    RimUnlock likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

yeah, I did a search on the pc for any other vendor files but no luck. I'm going to live with what I have for now (although I so hate all this crap they push to the phone - I'm so used to shrinking it all out).

Thanks for the selecting tips. I do like this phone. And the typing is getting easier. Just a tad, lol. Day two, so not so bad. Still, I do miss the keyboard. So, we shall see.
    You may need to go in advanced search options and check the "include hidden folders" box or something like that. i'm not positive about the exact wording, i'm working from memory here.

I'd suggest creating a folder called "seldom used" or something like that. You can put all the pushed install links that you can't get rid of in there. If you click on one of those links, it should take you to a web site to install the app. that's an install link. If you click on the icon and it opens an app, then it's a preinstalled app and you can delete it. It may or may not then turn into an install link, which you can then put into the "seldom used" folder. You can then hide the seldom used folder. I also put my individual email mailboxes in that folder since I use the integrated inbox. I also put in other useless items, such as the power button, help, manage connections, sounds, among other things.

I turn off all panels except for all. My goal is to have all apps and folder fit a single screen so there is no scrolling on the home screen. My method works pretty well. If you want to know more about it after you get the feel of the phone, let me know.

Global Posts
    41,888 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #39  

You may need to go in advanced search options and check the "include hidden folders" box or something like that. i'm not positive about the exact wording, i'm working from memory here.

I'd suggest creating a folder called "seldom used" or something like that. You can put all the pushed install links that you can't get rid of in there. If you click on one of those links, it should take you to a web site to install the app. that's an install link. If you click on the icon and it opens an app, then it's a preinstalled app and you can delete it. It may or may not then turn into an install link, which you can then put into the "seldom used" folder. You can then hide the seldom used folder. I also put my individual email mailboxes in that folder since I use the integrated inbox. I also put in other useless items, such as the power button, help, manage connections, sounds, among other things.

I turn off all panels except for all. My goal is to have all apps and folder fit a single screen so there is no scrolling on the home screen. My method works pretty well. If you want to know more about it after you get the feel of the phone, let me know.

Yeah I have a folder called CrApp, lol. That's where all the stuff I can't delete and all the well, crap goes. I'm going to do that with the panels, tho. Have just the one screen. Like I did with my custom themes - which I miss

Day 3 and I'm getting a tad better at typing in portrait, so most of the time I'm typing in landscape. Though I prefer portrait. Still going to keep trying for a few more days before it's time to decide what I'm going to do.
    Thanks for all your help!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

I like the Torch 9860 much more then the slider 9810... but it's my taste..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yeah I have a folder called CrApp, lol. That's where all the stuff I can't delete and all the well, crap goes. I'm going to do that with the panels, tho. Have just the one screen. Like I did with my custom themes - which I miss

Day 3 and I'm getting a tad better at typing in portrait, so most of the time I'm typing in landscape. Though I prefer portrait. Still going to keep trying for a few more days before it's time to decide what I'm going to do.
    Thanks for all your help!
    Good! Glad things are going well. Let me know if you want some tips on how to make portrait typing easier for you.

What's nice is having the option to switch back and forth when needed.

Are you using SureType or full keyboard in portrait mode? Just curious.

Global Posts
    41,888 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #42  

Good! Glad things are going well. Let me know if you want some tips on how to make portrait typing easier for you.

What's nice is having the option to switch back and forth when needed.

Are you using SureType or full keyboard in portrait mode? Just curious.
    Tips would be great!

I alternate between the two. Though I find I'm better (for what that's worth, lol) in full keyboard mode.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts

Default Need Opinions on 9850 vs 9810

i use the Bold 9930 M-F and the Torch 9850 on the weekends...but if i had to pick until bb10 time then i would go with torch...love the screen!!
    Last edited by dmsbang; 01-20-2013 at 11:44 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    858 Global Posts
    PIN
    5028A10E

I don't care for sliders at ALL....considered the 9810 but went with 9850 instead because it is AWESOME....so wish BB had gone with 9850 instead of ******** Storm II
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts

Default Need Opinions on 9850 vs 9810

i have actually switched it up and use torch m-f and bold on weekends...i think 2 bb10 devices will be necessary for me!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12